Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Wayne Smith

Default Slave Drive

Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.

I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
mount it up otherwise and use it.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Nils Kassube

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>
> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
> mount it up otherwise and use it.

Maybe it is already mounted automatically under the /media directory?
Other than that, iI you want it mounted permanently at a specific
location, make an entry in your fstab. Use the command

gksu /etc/fstab

in a terminal to modify the file. If you only want to mount it
occasionally, use the mount command. Type

man -a fstab mount

in a terminal to find out the syntax of the fstab file and the mount
command.

Nils

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Karl Larsen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
>> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>>
>> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
>> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
>> mount it up otherwise and use it.
>>

> Maybe it is already mounted automatically under the /media directory?
> Other than that, iI you want it mounted permanently at a specific
> location, make an entry in your fstab. Use the command
>
> gksu /etc/fstab
>
> in a terminal to modify the file. If you only want to mount it
> occasionally, use the mount command. Type
>
> man -a fstab mount
>
> in a terminal to find out the syntax of the fstab file and the mount
> command.
>

> Nils

My system doesn't work like yours Nils. Gksu didn't provide me with
anything. So if that is the case I suggest just looking at fstab with $
cat /etc/fstab which will display it.

If the Slave Drive is shown there then you can see where it is
mounted. If not then do this. Knowing the partition and hard drive of
the Slave Drive use

$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/abc /mnt

This should work and replace my abc with the actual location of your
Slave Drive. You can do this each time you want it or you can make
/etc/fstab load it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > gksu /etc/fstab
>
> My system doesn't work like yours Nils. Gksu didn't provide me with
> anything.

Oops - that should have been this:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

I think your system works like mine. However, I have to write the correct
command.

Nils

Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Maybe it is already mounted automatically under the /media directory?
>> Other than that, iI you want it mounted permanently at a specific
>> location, make an entry in your fstab. Use the command
>>
>> gksu /etc/fstab
>>
>> in a terminal to modify the file.
> My system doesn't work like yours Nils. Gksu didn't provide me with
> anything.

Nonsense, Nils has only forgotten to tell gksu which command to use.
I suppose he meant something like 'gksu gedit /etc/fstab'.
I would have used 'sudo vi /etc/fstab', but I think I am much older
than Nils.

Gerald

Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Karl Larsen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>>> gksu /etc/fstab
>>>
>> My system doesn't work like yours Nils. Gksu didn't provide me with
>> anything.
>>

> Oops - that should have been this:
>
> gksu gedit /etc/fstab
>
> I think your system works like mine. However, I have to write the correct
> command.

Yes that helps :-)

But I think $ cat /etc/fstab is quicker because it does not require
being root. But you can't change anything of course.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Nils Kassube

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> I would have used 'sudo vi /etc/fstab', but I think I am much older
> than Nils.

Maybe, maybe not

Usually I don't suggest command line editors, because they are not easy to
use for those who are new to Linux.

Nils

Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Larsen wrote:
> But I think $ cat /etc/fstab is quicker because it does not require
> being root. But you can't change anything of course.

Well, the purpose of editing /etc/fstab was to add an entry for the extra
drive. Just knowing what is in that file doesn't help mounting the drive.

Nils

Old 02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:41:06 +0100
schrieb Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
> > I would have used 'sudo vi /etc/fstab', but I think I am much older
> > than Nils.
>
> Maybe, maybe not
>
> Usually I don't suggest command line editors, because they are not
> easy to use for those who are new to Linux.

Yes, I know why you don't suggest them, but I am a little bit like
Sid Dabster.

Gerald

Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Wayne Smith

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
>> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>>
>> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
>> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
>> mount it up otherwise and use it.
>>

> Maybe it is already mounted automatically under the /media directory?
> Other than that, iI you want it mounted permanently at a specific
> location, make an entry in your fstab. Use the command
>
> gksu /etc/fstab
>
> in a terminal to modify the file. If you only want to mount it
> occasionally, use the mount command. Type
>
> man -a fstab mount
>
> in a terminal to find out the syntax of the fstab file and the mount
> command.
>

> Nils

What do I enter into fstab to mount the slave drive?????