Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Mike

Default Slave Drive

Wayne Smith wrote:

> What do I enter into fstab to mount the slave drive?????

You might find this link to be helpful. It explains step by
step how to do what you want to do.

http://www.smorgasbord.net/2007/06/29/how-to-install-second-hard-drive-in-ubuntu-linux/

Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Wayne Smith

Wayne Smith <AdminPublisher <at> earthlink.net> writes:

> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>
> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
> mount it up otherwise and use it.

The drive I'm trying to use is a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I want to use
it separately from my filesystem as storage for my files. I have it setup as a
slave drive apart from the master drive. I managed to get it mounted by
reformatting it in ext3 with QTParted and rebooting the computer. Now, however,
it says the drive belongs to root and I can't read or write to it. It's an IDE
drive.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Ed Greshko

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Wayne Smith <AdminPublisher <at> earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
>> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>>
>> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
>> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
>> mount it up otherwise and use it.
>>

> The drive I'm trying to use is a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I want to use
> it separately from my filesystem as storage for my files. I have it setup as a
> slave drive apart from the master drive. I managed to get it mounted by
> reformatting it in ext3 with QTParted and rebooting the computer. Now, however,
> it says the drive belongs to root and I can't read or write to it. It's an IDE
> drive.

Simple.....

In a terminal window cd to the mount point (with the drive mounted) and
simply "chown username:groupname ." Where username is your user name. The
groupname is normally the same....

Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM
John Bowden

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 05:46:02 Wayne Smith wrote:
> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>
> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
> mount it up otherwise and use it.

Hi Wayne.
I have been lurking in the back ground on this thread. Can I make a suggestion
for when you re-install Ubuntu. When you get to the partitioning section
choose "custom" and make your /home directory a separate partition. Then when
you re-install in the future for any reason then you can tell the installer
not to format your /home. That way all your personal files and setting will
remain.
Last week I managed to mash the file system on my notebook. My new kitten sat
on the power button and turned it off during a kernel update. When I turned
the notebook on and booted up Linux could not read the file system, but a
live CD distro could. To fix this all I had to do was re-install telling the
installer not to format /home. Then after the first boot all my personal
files and setting were there. Even the programs I have set to start up when I
log in (mail program three PDF books I'm reading) started up.
While you are in the partitioning section of the installation you can also
tell the installer to place (mount) your spare drive under /home/your log in
name/name for slave drive partition. For example I have put a spare drive in
one of my PC's and mounted it /home/john/shared120Gb. My home directory looks
something like this

/home
/Documents/
/Pictures/
/Music/
/Shared120Gb/
I hope this is not too long winded and helps to make things clearer.
John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)