Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Default USB mounting question

Someone asked me about this problem and I don't know if I solved it
previously or just got lucky, because I don't seem to have the issue.

He is trying to mount a USB external drive. It mounts (reiserfs), but
only root can write to it, everyone else can just read.

I have two external USB drives, and my user can read and write to them.
I see that the /media drive has the two external USB drives (ext3)
owned and grouped to my username as well, not root:root.

He was trying to fix it under fstab, but I thought that was deprecated
for use with USB drives because either udev or hal or mtab worked with
dynamic mounting of USB devices.

How can he fix the mounting so when the USB drive is mounted, it's R/W
to his normal user instead of RO for his user and RW for his root?

-Bart

Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Nils Kassube

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> He is trying to mount a USB external drive. It mounts (reiserfs), but
> only root can write to it, everyone else can just read.

In such a case I usually suggest to make a directory on the drive, owned
by the user who wants to write to the drive. If all users should have
write permission to the same files, make a directory which is world
writeable.

Nils

Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> He is trying to mount a USB external drive. It mounts (reiserfs), but
>> only root can write to it, everyone else can just read.
>
> In such a case I usually suggest to make a directory on the drive, owned
> by the user who wants to write to the drive. If all users should have
> write permission to the same files, make a directory which is world
> writeable.

I suggested that to him (he communicated it over IM) but the impression
I got was that he would pose the question to me and then keep doing
whatever he was doing and ignore what I sent, so I don't know if it had
any effect. The last thing he said was something about "got it in
fstab". *shrug*

I thought you were supposed to stay away from editing fstab for USB
drives now.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Nils Kassube

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I suggested that to him (he communicated it over IM) but the impression
> I got was that he would pose the question to me and then keep doing
> whatever he was doing and ignore what I sent, so I don't know if it had
> any effect. The last thing he said was something about "got it in
> fstab". *shrug*

Oh well ...

After all it is his machine, so he is free to do with it whatever he
wants

Nils