Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Default (unknown)

Bill Thorsteinson spake thusly:

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:28:01 -0500
>
> Package: slocate
> Version: 3.1-1ubuntu3
> Severity: normal
> Tags: patch
>

> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: lenny/sid
> APT prefers gutsy-updates
> APT policy: (500, 'gutsy-updates'), (500, 'gutsy-security'), (500, 'gutsy')
> Architecture: i386 (i686)

[...]

Ahh another person who fell for the reportbug hoax.

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Jani Monoses

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> Hello,
>
> BCC: xubuntu-devel
>
> There is a bug in the linux kernel that prevents xfce4-battery-plugin
> (and a number of other packages) from compiling and I'd like to have
> this merge done for the next alpha because it contains important
> patches we'd like tested. Basically, apm_event{,info}_t are userspace
> types but they got hidden behind #ifdef __KERNEL__ by mistake in
> include/linux/apm_bios.h (in commit
> ee8e7cfe9d330d6f1ce0b9b1620d6df5d9cf6b70).

It is unrelated to this patch, but I'd rather we drop battery plugin and
use gnome-power-manager as it gives a lot more information and is better
integrated with the rest of the power management.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 PM
"Brian A"

I think that it works better as well.....is there any performance hit to using gnome-power-manager instead of xubuntu battery manager though? I haven't compared the two, but I imagine there is.

-Brian

Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 07:57 AM, Jeff Robertson wrote:
> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months. I am fed up
> with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista". Dell now offers new
> laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS. I would love to learn and use
> Ubuntu but I am worried some of my software won't work. I have MS Office,
> Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS IllustratotCS2 and Frontpage.

You might find these links helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareEquivalents
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ListOfOpenSourcePrograms
<http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software>
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Solutions>

Old 10-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Jim Douglas wrote:

> I installed Kubuntu 8.1 into Sun VirtualBox VM. My displain in Windows
> supports 1280x800.
>
> Inside the Kubuntu VM I cannot set the display past 800x600, I can when I
> start up a Windows Server VM.
>
> It's frustrating because the window is so small.

You probably need the "Guest Additions". Later versions of the non-OSE
version include them, but some versions require you to install them
separately. Go to the VirtualBox site, and look for "Guest Additions"
--
derek

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Jim Douglas

I installed the Guest Addition already...no luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:27 PM
NoOp

On 11/23/2008 10:36 AM, ashley cox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is ashley cox from exmouth in Devon, and i am visually
> impaired. I am using Orca in Ubuntu. However, when i have been using
> it for about 15 minutes, Orca and Ubuntu freez and i can't do
> anything, and i have to crash the computer and start all over again.
> The other problem i am having, is it won't connect to the internet. I
> am using Ubuntu on a laptop, with a lan and wireless connection, and
> i have tried both.

Looking at launchpad there are a few issues that may fit what you
describe. However without any details from you it is hard to tell if
they do or not. Please have a look at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca/+bug/242441
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca/+bug/242545

Both appear to be flash related.

You can also try checking:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=145
[Threads in Forum : Assistive Technology & Accessibility]

Regarding your connection issue(s): again, you'll need to provide some
_reasonable_ details before anyone can help you. Helpful information:

1. Ubuntu release - 6.04 (Dapper), 8.04 (Hardy), 8.10 (Intrepid)?

2. Laptop type, wireless card, connection type (DSL, etc) and access
point device (DSL modem, wireless router, router)?

You can also try checking:
<http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=cfd6db8ac6516e71c5948a17dc3b7a5 8&daysprune=&f=136>
[Threads in Forum : Networking & Wireless]
Note: use the search feature to check for your laptop/wireless card.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Sundar Nagarajan

Julio Argota wrote:
> How I can know when a deamond is activated?. Example if a USB memory is
> inserted ubuntu, more specific usbfs deamon, automount the memory and
> open a nautylus windows. How I can performance a task when it happend. I
> have a bash script whit the actions that I to do, but I don't know where
> to place this.
>
> --
> Atte Julio N. Argota Q.

You'll probably need to add to the udev rules (look under
/etc/udev/rules.d).

You can also look here for good starting info on how to do this for USB
devices:

There's also a more detailed guide here:
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Chi Gao wrote:

> Hi I have reinstalled it and it again comes the problem when 73%
> see attached file

Sorry, but you have to _reply_ to messages, or at the very least quote them.
Nobody here is likely to have a clue what "it" is (and please supply a
"Subject" line).
--
derek

Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 PM