Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
R Kimber

Default Video effect with 11.04

I'm using 11.04 with nvidia driver 270.41.06

When I switch desktops I now find that the new desktop still has parts
of the previous desktop on it. These are normally parts of the outline of
what had been the current window on the previous desktop. They can be
removed by forcing a redraw of the window on which they are superimposed.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a known issue? It didn't happen with
10.10, or with previous versions that I can remember.

Is it a fault with the video driver (I'm not sure whether 11.04 uses a
different version from 10.10), or the program that switches desktops?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 14 May 2011 12:28:11 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> I'm using 11.04 with nvidia driver 270.41.06
>
> When I switch desktops I now find that the new desktop still has parts
> of the previous desktop on it. These are normally parts of the outline of
> what had been the current window on the previous desktop. They can be
> removed by forcing a redraw of the window on which they are superimposed.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Is it a known issue? It didn't happen with
> 10.10, or with previous versions that I can remember.
>
> Is it a fault with the video driver (I'm not sure whether 11.04 uses a
> different version from 10.10), or the program that switches desktops?

Any suggestions as to which package a bug should be filed against?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

> R Kimber wrote:
>
>> I'm using 11.04 with nvidia driver 270.41.06

Also on Natty.

NVidia "current" drive for 10.10 is 260.19.06

>> When I switch desktops I now find that the new desktop still has parts
>> of the previous desktop on it. These are normally parts of the outline of
>> what had been the current window on the previous desktop. *They can be
>> removed by forcing a redraw of the window on which they are superimposed.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this? *Is it a known issue? It didn't happen with
>> 10.10, or with previous versions that I can remember.

I can't reproduce it with Natty (Unity or Classic) and Maverick with
NVidia GeForce 8200 chipset (512Mb) on a NVidia motherboard. It
doesn't seem to be a driver problem. Perhaps a hardware issue?

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
R Kimber

On Tue, 17 May 2011 19:04:08 -0300
Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> I can't reproduce it with Natty (Unity or Classic) and Maverick with
> NVidia GeForce 8200 chipset (512Mb) on a NVidia motherboard. It
> doesn't seem to be a driver problem. Perhaps a hardware issue?

Well, of course it might be, but it's rather a co-incidence that it
happened just on the upgrade, after I decided that I didn't want unity and
changed back to classic. I think it's to do with that.

- Richard.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
R Kimber

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> I can't reproduce it with Natty (Unity or Classic) and Maverick with
> NVidia GeForce 8200 chipset (512Mb) on a NVidia motherboard. It
> doesn't seem to be a driver problem. Perhaps a hardware issue?

Just to update on this:

It's not a grahics card issue because I changed the card and still had the
problem.

However, I've moved to KDE plasma desktop and the problem has gone away,
and everything is snappier, so it's unlikely to be a hardware issue at all.
I suspect whatever changes arrived along with Unity, though perhaps it was
a problem with my own Gnome setup, or some mix of the two.

- Richard.