Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Luca Ferrari

Default problem with LDAP

Hi all,
I'm trying to install LDAP on a machine, and migrating the existing accounts
to the LDAP service. When I run the migration tools I got an error:

# ETC_SERVICES=/dev/null ETC_ALIASES=/dev/null ./migrate_all_online.sh

ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
/usr/bin/ldapadd: returned non-zero exit status: saving failed LDIF
to /tmp/nis.ldif.ZFnBMs7271

The file seems to be created right, but I don't know what that saving failed
means. Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Ed Greshko

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install LDAP on a machine, and migrating the existing accounts
> to the LDAP service. When I run the migration tools I got an error:
>
> # ETC_SERVICES=/dev/null ETC_ALIASES=/dev/null ./migrate_all_online.sh
>
> ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

This message is telling you that the DN (distinguished name) and password
used to bind to the ldap server are invalid and that the LDIF file that is
created was not imported into the ldap server.

> /usr/bin/ldapadd: returned non-zero exit status: saving failed LDIF
> to /tmp/nis.ldif.ZFnBMs7271
>
> The file seems to be created right, but I don't know what that saving failed
> means. Any idea?

The file was created since the information could not be imported into the
ldap server. You'll need to fix the bind problem in order to proceed.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Luca Ferrari

On Monday 11 February 2008 Ed Greshko's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> This message is telling you that the DN (distinguished name) and password
> used to bind to the ldap server are invalid and that the LDIF file that is
> created was not imported into the ldap server.

Yes, I found that executing dpkg-reconfigure slapd solved the problem, and now
I'm able to run migrate_all_online.sh, but with another error that I cannot
understand:

adding new entry "uid=luca,ou=People,dc=gammadue,dc=com"
ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
additional info: objectClass: value #5 invalid per syntax

and the generated ldif file contains the following entry:

dn: uid=luca,ou=People,dc=myCompany,dc=com
uid: luca
cn: Luca Ferrari
givenName: Luca
sn: Ferrari
mail: luca@myCompany.com
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: krb5Principal
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}$1$uUw0rgtb$jrlOISGAwOlQ7gu087UMw1
shadowLastChange: 13907
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
krb5PrincipalName: luca@myCompany.com
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 1000
homeDirectory: /home/luca
gecos: Luca Ferrari,,,

is something related to kerberos (I guess from the entry #5). Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Luca Ferrari

On Monday 11 February 2008 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> Yes, I found that executing dpkg-reconfigure slapd solved the problem, and
> now I'm able to run migrate_all_online.sh, but with another error that I
> cannot understand:
>
> adding new entry "uid=luca,ou=People,dc=gammadue,dc=com"
> ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
> additional info: objectClass: value #5 invalid per syntax

I found that commenting out the line with
$DEFAULT_MAIL_DOMAIN
in the migrate_common.ph solved the problem, but I don't know why I should not
specify the mail domain.....

Thanks,
Luca

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
"Jason Dusek"

On Feb 11, 2008 8:06 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> ...I don't know why I should not specify the mail domain...

Yeah, this stuff is tough.
It may be that you do not have the correct schema loaded into
the LDAP server -- that's a common cause of errors.

It's also possible that the $DEFAULT_MAIL_DOMAIN thing resulted
in the insertion of spurious whitespace -- though I can't see
how that would happen at the point in the file you indicated.

--
_jsn

Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
"Jason Dusek"