Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 AM
"Paul Irvin"

Default Installing Linux Ubuntu 7.10

I am trying to install Linux Ubuntu 7.10 on my Pentium III, 900mhz,
512mb, personal computer.* I have downloaded the file, verified it with MD5 Sum
and burned it to a blank cd..* I have set my bios to boot to CD but when I
re-boot, the Ubuntu install does not launch.* I have also tried Madriva with
the same result. I would like to install this on my home machine to supplement
a course I am taking in Linux.* Thank you.

*

Paul Irvin

(913) 709 2297

pirvin@kc.rr.com

*

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 00:51 -0600, Paul Irvin wrote:
> I am trying to install Linux Ubuntu 7.10 on my Pentium III, 900mhz,
> 512mb, personal computer. I have downloaded the file, verified it
> with MD5 Sum and burned it to a blank cd.. I have set my bios to boot
> to CD but when I re-boot, the Ubuntu install does not launch. I have
> also tried Madriva with the same result. I would like to install this
> on my home machine to supplement a course I am taking in Linux. Thank
> you.
>

> Paul Irvin
>
> (913) 709 2297
>
> pirvin@kc.rr.com

Does the CD boot at all? You state you tried Mandriva with the same
result. It sounds like the BIOS did not enable boot from CD as the first
boot option, or you have a bad CDROM drive. Is Windows your primary OS?
Will the Windows CD boot?

questions, question.

good luck,

--