Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Ted Hilts

Default Telnet Server installation failed

I am new to Ubuntu.

I have a home network of computers and although TELNET is frowned upon
because of security issues it is the only way I can communicate to older
and different installations. So after installing the TELNET client that
is included with the Gutsy desktop I tried to install the TELNET server
which was not in the Gutsy 7.10 server disk. So I used aptitude to get
the package from the Debian distribution. No go! I got the package
which was automatically unpacked but could not find the TELNET server
and discovered it placed elsewhere than the init stuff and associated
symbolic pointers where the Ubuntu stuff is apparently located.

Is there a way I can activate this TELNET server or is the entire effort
doomed to failure. Maybe the TELNET server package I downloaded needs a
wrapper of some sort or associated libraries are in the wrong place, or
maybe both. I thought I'd better get some advice.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -- Ted

Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 AM
steve

Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:10 -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> I am new to Ubuntu.
>
> I have a home network of computers and although TELNET is frowned upon
> because of security issues it is the only way I can communicate to older
> and different installations. So after installing the TELNET client that
> is included with the Gutsy desktop I tried to install the TELNET server
> which was not in the Gutsy 7.10 server disk. So I used aptitude to get
> the package from the Debian distribution. No go! I got the package
> which was automatically unpacked but could not find the TELNET server
> and discovered it placed elsewhere than the init stuff and associated
> symbolic pointers where the Ubuntu stuff is apparently located.
>
> Is there a way I can activate this TELNET server or is the entire effort
> doomed to failure. Maybe the TELNET server package I downloaded needs a
> wrapper of some sort or associated libraries are in the wrong place, or
> maybe both. I thought I'd better get some advice.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks -- Ted

Looking in Synaptic Package Manager, I see "Telnet" which is described
as "The telnet client", telnetd which is described as "The telnet
server", telnetd-ssl which is described as "The telnet server with SSL
encryption support", telnet-ssl which is described as "The telnet
client with SSL encryption support".

According to the descriptions, telnetd or telnetd-ssl should serve your
purposes? They are both in Ubuntu's repositories and should work easy.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Ted Hilts

Steve
You wrote: "

you need to install telnetd and telnet"

I did. Except I could not find telnetd in the Ubuntu distribution so I used aptitude to get it from the Debian distribution. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop from a Ubuntu DVD and could not find telnetd on the Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD.

Thanks, Ted

Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Ted Hilts

Charlie Kravetz

What is the URL to the Ubuntu repository you used. I only used the
Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop DVD and the Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD and so
just assumed that because the TELNET server was not on either I had to
go looking outside of Ubuntu. I also used the "Synaptic Package Manager"
on the DVD but it insisted on using the DVD or CD and did not
automatically bring up the Ubuntu repository because it was not in the
"sources" file which I have just recently learned about. I did look
about the Ubuntu web site but I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I
would very much appreciate getting the URL to the respository about
which you mentioned.

Thanks, Ted

Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Nils Kassube

Ted Hilts wrote:
> I only used the
> Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop DVD and the Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD and so
> just assumed that because the TELNET server was not on either I had to
> go looking outside of Ubuntu.

For the telnetd package you need the universe repository enabled. See
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu> for details. On
the DVD you will not find packages from universe.

Nils

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 14:44:00 Ted Hilts wrote:
> Steve
> You wrote: "
>
> you need to install telnetd and telnet"
>
> I did. Except I could not find telnetd in the Ubuntu distribution so I used
> aptitude to get it from the Debian distribution. I installed Ubuntu
> 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop from a Ubuntu DVD and could not find telnetd on the
> Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD.

I'm not surprised that telnetd is not included in the CD/DVD, neither should
you, as you said yourself you know it's deprecated and insecure.

However, you should have used aptitude to look into Ubuntu's repositories,
instead of Debian's - you should never use repositories from other distros,
unless it's a very well documentated specific case that works, AND you know
exactly what you're doing.

You also mentioned you tried looking in synaptic. Close enough. In synaptic
you can enable the official repositories under the menu Settings.

You can do the same GUI without synaptic in the menu
System/Administration/Software Sources

Check the main, restricted, universe and multiverse repos, and reload the DBs
when it asks you to.

regards
FF

Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Charlie Kravetz

bottom post, please...

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:57 -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz
>
> What is the URL to the Ubuntu repository you used. I only used the
> Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop DVD and the Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD and so
> just assumed that because the TELNET server was not on either I had to
> go looking outside of Ubuntu. I also used the "Synaptic Package Manager"
> on the DVD but it insisted on using the DVD or CD and did not
> automatically bring up the Ubuntu repository because it was not in the
> "sources" file which I have just recently learned about. I did look
> about the Ubuntu web site but I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I
> would very much appreciate getting the URL to the respository about
> which you mentioned.
>
> Thanks, Ted

< snip >

Per Nils and FF, enable universe.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Ted Hilts wrote:

> Steve
> You wrote: "
>
> you need to install telnetd and telnet"
>
> I did. Except I could not find telnetd in the Ubuntu distribution so I
> used aptitude to get it from the Debian distribution. I installed Ubuntu
> 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop from a Ubuntu DVD and could not find telnetd on the
> Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD.

Sigh...

This is not really Ted's problem (except that I'm not sure why people keep
looking for _other_ sources of packages before searching ubuntu) I'm sure
he knows by now that he needs to enable the extra repositories, but why is
it that we have to tell people time after time that they'll need to enable
universe (or multiverse, or backports...). There really should be a way
for the default package managers to make it _obvious_ to new users that
there are other repositories not enabled by default.

fyi, there's a fine search utility at http://packages.ubuntu.com/

and please, please, please, don't install Debian packages just because you
can't find Ubuntu ones. They're _similar_, not equivalent!
--
derek

Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 14:29 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> but why is it that we have to tell people time after time that they'll
> need to enable universe (or multiverse, or backports...). There
> really should be a way for the default package managers to make it
> _obvious_ to new users that there are other repositories not enabled
> by default.

Right on! It could work similar to the nifty new feature that recommends
an application when you try to open a file for which no app exists. That
is, it could show you the packages but indicate that they can't be
installed due to repo settings and explain why.

Or maybe do something more radical altogether and do away with the
notion of repos in the GUI, at least in the non-expert apps. End users
don't think that way, the whole concept might expose an irrelevant
implementation detail.

This would make for a fabulous spec on wiki.ubuntu.com. Wanna work on it
together? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs