Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Ted Hilts

Default ubuntu-users

I am new to Ubuntu.

I have a home network of computers and although TELNET is frowned upon
because of security issues it is the only way I can communicate to older
and different installations. So after installing the TELNET client that
is included with the Gutsy desktop I tried to install the TELNET server
which was not in the Gutsy 7.10 server disk. So I used aptitude to get
the package from the Debian distribution. No go! I got the package
which was automatically unpacked but could not find the TELNET server
and discovered it placed elsewhere than the init stuff and associated
symbolic pointers where the Ubuntu stuff is apparently located.

Is there a way I can activate this TELNET server or is the entire effort
doomed to failure. Maybe the TELNET server package I downloaded needs a
wrapper of some sort or associated libraries are in the wrong place, or
maybe both. I thought I'd better get some advice.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -- Ted

Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:58:03 -0700
Ted Hilts <thilts33@telus.net> wrote:

> Is there a way I can activate this TELNET server or is the entire
> effort doomed to failure. Maybe the TELNET server package I
> downloaded needs a wrapper of some sort or associated libraries are
> in the wrong place, or maybe both. I thought I'd better get some
> advice.

first of all, ask yourself - is it really a good idea to do this? I
mean, how important is it that old computers can log in to new ones, if
they're so old they can't support SSH? I'm sure you understand the
ramifications of your actions.

did you end up with a program called 'telnetd'? Generally such a thing
would be started with inetd or xinetd, which listens for new
connections and then spawns processes to deal with them. Often the way
such a thing is handled.

If you do set it up, use some methods to restrict access to an rfc
1918 private address space, please. You don't want to get hacked.