Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
"Jason Dusek"

Default usb ubuntu

I find it really surprising that

. I can't just boot the install CD from USB.
. I can't turn mount the USB drive.

My extlinux.conf follows my sig, for what it's worth. This boots
up, allows me to select any boot option, and then fails on the
"searching for CDROM" part of debconf.

--
_jsn

DEFAULT linux
GFXBOOT bootlogo
GFXBOOT-BACKGROUND 0xB6875A
LABEL install
menu label ^Install in text mode
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
LABEL linux
menu label ^Default Linux
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
LABEL expert
menu label ^Expert mode
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed priority=low initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
LABEL oem
menu label ^OEM install (for manufacturers)
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed oem-config/enable=true
initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
LABEL cli
menu label ^Install a command-line system
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/cli.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
LABEL cli-expert
menu label ^Install a command-line system, 1337
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append file=/preseed/cli.seed priority=low initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
LABEL rescue
menu label ^Rescue a broken system
kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
append rescue/enable=true initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
LABEL memtest
menu label ^Memory test
kernel /install/mt86plus
append -
LABEL hd
menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
localboot 0x80
append -
DISPLAY extlinux.txt
TIMEOUT 0
PROMPT 1
F1 f1.txt
F2 f2.txt
F3 f3.txt
F4 f4.txt
F5 f5.txt
F6 f6.txt
F7 f7.txt
F8 f8.txt
F9 f9.txt
F0 f10.txt

Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 15:19 -0800, Jason Dusek wrote:
> I find it really surprising that
>
> . I can't just boot the install CD from USB.
> . I can't turn mount the USB drive.
>
> My extlinux.conf follows my sig, for what it's worth. This boots
> up, allows me to select any boot option, and then fails on the
> "searching for CDROM" part of debconf.
>
> --
> _jsn
>

> DEFAULT linux
> GFXBOOT bootlogo
> GFXBOOT-BACKGROUND 0xB6875A
> LABEL install
> menu label ^Install in text mode
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
> LABEL linux
> menu label ^Default Linux
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
> LABEL expert
> menu label ^Expert mode
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed priority=low initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
> LABEL oem
> menu label ^OEM install (for manufacturers)
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed oem-config/enable=true
> initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
> LABEL cli
> menu label ^Install a command-line system
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/cli.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
> LABEL cli-expert
> menu label ^Install a command-line system, 1337
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append file=/preseed/cli.seed priority=low initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
> LABEL rescue
> menu label ^Rescue a broken system
> kernel /install/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> append rescue/enable=true initrd=/install/initrd.gz --
> LABEL memtest
> menu label ^Memory test
> kernel /install/mt86plus
> append -
> LABEL hd
> menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
> localboot 0x80
> append -
> DISPLAY extlinux.txt
> TIMEOUT 0
> PROMPT 1
> F1 f1.txt
> F2 f2.txt
> F3 f3.txt
> F4 f4.txt
> F5 f5.txt
> F6 f6.txt
> F7 f7.txt
> F8 f8.txt
> F9 f9.txt
> F0 f10.txt

Sorry, if you have followed all of those suggestions and still can't get
this to work, I don't have the ability to help you with this. Perhaps
someone else can.

Anyone???

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 AM
"Jason Dusek"

I appreciate your help.

I gave up, and went back to Gentoo. I'm sure there will be
another occasion for me to try Ubuntu.

--
_jsn

Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Nils Kassube

Jason Dusek wrote:
> Unfortunately, that didn't help. There's no explicit mention of
> what to do about the CDROM drive issue in there. I'd have to
> start all over again -- rebuild my image, &c. -- in order to use
> that HOWTO. I just want to know how to mount the CDROM drive
> myself.

When you say "bootable USB drive" (in your original mail), is it a CDROM
connected via USB or is it a USB stick? I assume it is a USB stick, but
it isn't clear.

How did you make that bootable USB drive? Did you just copy the ISO image
to the USB stick with the dd command (or something similar)? That
wouldn't work because the kernel knows that a USB stick is something
different than a CDROM. The original ISO image expects to be started from
a CD, not from a hard disk or USB stick. As a part of the pendrivelinux
article the isolinux.cfg file is replaced by a modified version which
doesn't look for a CDROM but uses whatever devive it is booted from. I
suppose, you can just download the .zip file mentioned in the article and
replace the isolinux.cfg file on your USB stick with the one in the .zip
file.

Nils

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
"Jason Dusek"

I'm using extlinux as the bootloader, to boot off of a 1GB USB
stick. The boot process if totally functional.

How would isolinux.cfg influence extlinux (or syslinux, for that
matter?). The isolinux boot loader won't be called ever. In
fact, I deleted it.

Is there something obviously incorrect about the extlinux.conf
that I posted?

What is the deal with not being able to mount /dev/sda1, as
described in my earlier email?

I'm more looking for an explanation than a canned solution -- I
appreciate the pointer to the HOWTO but I still don't understand
what is actually going on.

--
_jsn

Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 AM
"Jason Dusek"

I'm using extlinux as the bootloader, to boot off of a 1GB USB
stick. The boot process is totally functional.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Nils Kassube

Jason Dusek wrote:
> Is there something obviously incorrect about the extlinux.conf
> that I posted?

Sorry, hadn't seen that before. If I compare that file to the syslinux.cfg
from the pendrivelinux article, there are two major differences. In every
line starting with "append" is a "boot=casper" in the syslinux.cfg. And in
your file, every line starting with "kernel" has a "root=/dev/sda1". I
don't know if there could be the problem. Perhaps the boot process
somewhere needs a parameter with "boot="?

> What is the deal with not being able to mount /dev/sda1, as
> described in my earlier email?

According to your earlier mail, the error had something to do with a
cdrom, but a cdrom usually would be something like /dev/scd1. Again I
don't know if that is related to your problem.

> I'm more looking for an explanation than a canned solution

That's understandable, but I think I can't help you with an explanation.
Maybe someone else has an idea?

Nils