Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 AM
chris

Default Unity ROCKS not!!!

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:43 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:51:44 pm Ernest Doub wrote:
> > This is the point where I as a NOOB user since 8.04 have to jump in.
> > All the arguments given in favor of UNITY are saying that it is coming
> > from a small screen viewpoint, it is more Android like, etc.
> > I DON'T WANT MY FULL FUNCTION DESKTOP TO SIMULATE THE RESTRICTIONS AND
> > LACK OF FUNCTIONALITY I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ON A TABLET DEVICE OR
> > SMARTPHONE. [capitalization for purpose of emphasis not intended as
> > yelling]
>
> AMEN!!! ...and yes I said that for emphasis too! Albeit maybe with just a
> touch of loudness also!
>
> --
> 73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
> http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

+1
--
Cheers the kiwi

Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Tom H

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:51:44 pm Ernest Doub wrote:
>>
>> This is the point where I as a NOOB user since 8.04 have to jump in.
>> All the arguments given in favor of UNITY are saying that it is coming
>> from a small screen viewpoint, it is more Android like, etc.
>> I DON'T WANT MY FULL FUNCTION DESKTOP TO SIMULATE THE RESTRICTIONS AND
>> LACK OF FUNCTIONALITY I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ON A TABLET DEVICE OR
>> SMARTPHONE. [capitalization for purpose of emphasis not intended as
>> yelling]
>
> AMEN!!! ...and yes I said that for emphasis too!

If Unity's interface is meant for a tablet or a smartphone, how come
OS X (with a similar look and feel) is used on 30-inch screens? Give
Unity a go without pre-conceived notions! It might have some rough
edges and it might have been more appropriate to default to it in
11.10 (that ship has sailed!) but, if you try it without any weird
bias, you'll find that it's pretty good. OS X's acknowledged by most
as having a user-friendly interface and it's unsurprising that both
Canonical and GNOME have both adopted a similar GUi.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Ernest Doub

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Pastor JW
> <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:51:44 pm Ernest Doub wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the point where I as a NOOB user since 8.04 have to jump in.
>>> All the arguments given in favor of UNITY are saying that it is coming
>>> from a small screen viewpoint, it is more Android like, etc.
>>> I DON'T WANT MY FULL FUNCTION DESKTOP TO SIMULATE THE RESTRICTIONS AND
>>> LACK OF FUNCTIONALITY I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ON A TABLET DEVICE OR
>>> SMARTPHONE. [capitalization for purpose of emphasis not intended as
>>> yelling]
>>
>> AMEN!!! ...and yes I said that for emphasis too!
>
> If Unity's interface is meant for a tablet or a smartphone, how come
> OS X (with a similar look and feel) is used on 30-inch screens? Give
> Unity a go without pre-conceived notions! It might have some rough
> edges and it might have been more appropriate to default to it in
> 11.10 (that ship has sailed!) but, if you try it without any weird
> bias, you'll find that it's pretty good. OS X's acknowledged by most
> as having a user-friendly interface and it's unsurprising that both
> Canonical and GNOME have both adopted a similar GUi.

My only "bias" coming into 11.04 was having had a progressive
experience with Ubuntu of continuing improvement and continuity
between updates.
For a major change in GUI such as has been presented in Natty without
any easily accessed built in helps or tip screens shows a complete
(and judging from the developers comments here and elsewhere,
arrogant) disregard for the user experience of the current installed
base of average users.
As I have stated previously, I can't recommend that any of my circle
of acquaintances who use windoze even try Ubuntu now as the learning
curve has suddenly become even steeper for them.
I maintain that the developers have experienced a high enough level of
blowback that they have circled the wagons and gone into a completely
defensive mode. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt,
provided, that there is a comprehensive built in tutorial and tips
screens developed and distributed ASAP.
This should take priority over any further development or tweaking.
You may win the short term battle but end up loosing the war if you
force a large enough number of current users to seek out other
platforms. It won't matter how many tablet/smartphone users come into
the fold, those (mostly fickle) users can never make up for the loyal
following that Ubuntu has steadily grown over the years.
I haven't used an Apple product since my breadbox Mac days, but, I am
sure that OS X has a comprehensive tutorial and help package as an
intrinsic part of the installation package.
The main problem I see with all the distributions of Linux is a lack
of proper marketing presentation. The product is great. The
understanding of the market and presentation, not so much. There is a
persistent public perception that Linux is somehow only for
programmers as it is difficult to install and hard to use. Those of
us who have taken the time to investigate and learn know that this is
false perception and that in fact some tasks are easier to accomplish
on a Linux platform.
Since Linux does not" benefit" from an advertising driven development
the programmers need to keep the marketing needs in mind as part of
their development focus as there is no external management to remind
them of the priorities of the end users.

Hi Desert Ed
"If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it."

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM
chris

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 22:42 -0700, Ernest Doub wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Pastor JW
> > <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:51:44 pm Ernest Doub wrote:

<snip>

> My only "bias" coming into 11.04 was having had a progressive
> experience with Ubuntu of continuing improvement and continuity
> between updates.
> For a major change in GUI such as has been presented in Natty without
> any easily accessed built in helps or tip screens shows a complete
> (and judging from the developers comments here and elsewhere,
> arrogant) disregard for the user experience of the current installed
> base of average users.
<more snip>
> Since Linux does not" benefit" from an advertising driven development
> the programmers need to keep the marketing needs in mind as part of
> their development focus as there is no external management to remind
> them of the priorities of the end users.
>
> Hi Desert Ed
> "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it."

Very well put.
--
Cheers the kiwi

Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
ruscook

[...]

100% agree, I use and like Gnome 2. I installed 11.04 in virtualbox and
played around with Unity for about an hr. Quite usable and easy to use.
If I was new to computing I'd think it was great. As it is I still felt
it was good. The main drawbacks are because it's new to me, and I have
yet learnt all the quickest ways to interact. I want to compare it to
Gnome 3 shell before I decide which I'll go with long term.

I find it ironic and amusing the amount of people in ICT related areas
that foist heaps of change on others, but can't handle change themselves
LOL.

--
Kind Regards Russell
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity - Harlan Ellison

Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Colin Law

On 4 May 2011 08:53, ruscook <ruscook_oz@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I installed 11.04 in virtualbox and
> played around with Unity for about an hr. Quite usable and easy to use. If I
> was new to computing I'd think it was great. As it is I still felt it was
> good. The main drawbacks are because it's new to me, and I have yet learnt
> all the quickest ways to interact.

+1.
For basic users wanting just browsing, email, photo management, letter
writing and so on I think it will be easier to use than Classic, and
after all that is what most users want Ubuntu desktop for. For power
users with many years experience of Classic, and similar interfaces,
it will take some getting used to. The key thing is to get to grips
with the hot keys that allow rapid access to windows and apps. The
biggest issue I am having is the loss of the bottom panel,
particularly when I have half a dozen FF windows open. No doubt at
some point there will be a plugin to provide this if I decide I need
it. However I suspect that the lack of it may force me to be more
organised in the way I use workspaces and in the long run even this
may be a good thing.

Colin

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Claudiu Vlad

I think Unity is great, it only needs more improvements.

Cheers everyone,

Old 05-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Liam Proven

On 4 May 2011 08:53, ruscook <ruscook_oz@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I find it ironic and amusing the amount of people in ICT related areas that
> foist heaps of change on others, but can't handle change themselves LOL.

Absolutely!

"Here, listen, you must give up Windows, all your apps and all your
games and everything you have ever known and move to Linux, because
it's better and because you can read the source code."

Doesn't matter if someone needs certain apps, or can't program and
doesn't want the source.

But take away one panel from their distro of choice and replace with a
new dock, and the screams of outrage can be heard from the next
continent over. "This is oppression, this isn't a democracy, we are
being punished, how dare they," etc. etc. ad nauseam.

It's pathetic and it's childish.

Just deal with it, learn the new, and move on. That's what adults do.
Behave like a grown up not a three-year-old whose toy has been taken
away.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 PM
"compdoc"

>It's pathetic and it's childish.
>
>Just deal with it, learn the new, and move on.

Expressing an opinion, in life and in a mailing list, is never pathetic or
childish. Our talking about it is how we deal with it. This is how people do
this sort of thing.

If enough of us find Unity is a step backwards, then maybe something is
wrong with the direction Ubuntu is headed. If enough of us find Unity useful
or even better than gnome, then Ubuntu is going the right way.

We are after all, the users and supporters and maintainers of Ubuntu.
Shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions?

Without us, Ubuntu would become another abandoned fork.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Nils Kassube

compdoc wrote:
> If enough of us find Unity is a step backwards, then maybe something
> is wrong with the direction Ubuntu is headed. If enough of us find
> Unity useful or even better than gnome, then Ubuntu is going the
> right way.

If you only look at this list to find out if the direction of Ubuntu is
right, you will get a wrong picture. From what I have read here during
the last weeks, it looks like many people who don't like Unity, complain
about it. However those who do like it, have no reason to complain and
only a few of them take the time to write about their opinion.
Therefore, if you only generate your statistics from the opinions raised
on this list, you will see a huge majority of those who don't like
Unity, even if it is a tiny minority in reality.

And there have been similar situations in the past. IIRC, when pulse
audio was the new default in Ubuntu, many people complained and only
very few wrote that they liked it. I don't think that too many people
left Ubuntu due to pulse audio and nowadays it just works.

Nils