Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Willis Taylor

Default Thank you!

I got the
linksys 5 port and my network problems all disappeared.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Willis Taylor

Ed Greshko wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

I got the linksys 5 port and my network problems all disappeared.

Good to hear....

BTW, what is the "date" on your system? Your email showed up with "Feb 5"
in the date header....

the clock on
this unit is loosing about 6 hours a days.* I believe I might need to
replace the batt. on the mainboard, am I correct?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Willis Taylor

Ed Greshko wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

the clock on this unit is loosing about 6 hours a days. I believe I
might need to replace the batt. on the mainboard, am I correct?

If your system is losing time when it is powered off, yes that may help.

In any case you should configure your system to use ntpd to sync time with
time servers on the internet.

That sounds
like a great idea but since I'm new to Linux can you enlighten me as to
how, please?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Ed Greshko

Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Ed Greshko

Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Peter Garrett

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:28:17 -0600
Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > In any case you should configure your system to use ntpd to sync time with
> > time servers on the internet.

> That sounds like a great idea but since I'm new to Linux can you
> enlighten me as to how, please?

In Gnome ( the default Ubuntu desktop), right click the clock top right
and select "Adjust Date & Time", then select "Configuration - Keep
synchronised with Internet servers."

You'll be prompted for your password.

Select maybe 3 Time Servers near you - don't go mad and select all the
servers in the list Having more than one is OK - if any of them go
offline, the system will use the others. There's an Ubuntu one at the
bottom of the list that you might want to include as one of your choices.

That's about it - just close the dialogue and you should get regular time
adjustments from now on...

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Dan Farrell

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:28:17 -0600
Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> That sounds like a great idea but since I'm new to Linux can you
> enlighten me as to how, please?

NTP is really easy to set up. As a non-ubuntu user, I would guess that
if you went up to 'administration' and then found the 'synamtec package
manager' you'd be in good shape. Search for 'ntp' and you should find
a client. My guess is that it would probably run an update immediately
- watch your clock to see. If not, a command like

ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org

should set your clock. It's a good bet the ubuntu people are good
enough to make sure that will happen periodically from now on.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 01:08:38 -0600
Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the help but when I tell it to install the NTP software it
> says it needs I receive the following;
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ntp/ntp_4.2.4p0+dfsg-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
> Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111
> Connection refused)

Umm - are you using some kind of proxy? It's trying to connect to your own
machine ( 127.0.0.1 is your loopback interface), on port 4001 - it should
be grabbing the ntp package from us.archive.ubuntu.com , which happens to
have the IP addresses below:

$ host us.archive.ubuntu.com
us.archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.31
us.archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.45
us.archive.ubuntu.com has address 91.189.88.46

What happens if you start Synaptic ( System - Administration - Synaptic)
and hit "Reload" ?

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Willis Taylor

Peter Garrett wrote:

[...]

Could not download all repository indexes

Ok, I have a problem.* I just installed a new Syslink 5 port hub today
and port #1 is this computer, port #2 is my 2Wire 1100SW DSL Modem and
port #3 is my main computer.* The hub was installed because I could not
connect the other unit to anything for the lack of existing ports and
had been firing it in Windows with USB Network support because of the
availability situation on the ports.

Both are now connecting to the internet but neither will add or remove
software via the internet right now.* I did just do the ubuntu updates
on this unit a couple of minutes ago but in Synaptic and hitting Reload
I recive the following and I'm really lost because synaptic worked
before I installed the hub.

The repository might be no longer available or
could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an
older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the
repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and the
correct writing of the repository address in the preferences.

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/Release.gpg:

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/gutsy/main/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2: