Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM
"Peter N. Spotts"

Default Strange print behavior on some programs...

Folks,

I'm running Xubuntu 7.10 (fully updated) and am having some trouble with
printing emails out of either Claws Mail or Evolution. I can print out
of OpenOffice, Firefox, Acroread, Gedit. But with both email programs,
when I bring up the print dialog box, the programs freeze and I have to
restart them. I've tried reinstalling the printer (an HP Deskjet 6540),
but that didn't help. And it happens regardless of
session/window-manager combo -- Xfce4, Gnome, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.
Seems kind of odd that these two programs would be the only two that
hang up on print, but hey, whadda I know?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 13:02 -0500, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm running Xubuntu 7.10 (fully updated) and am having some trouble with
> printing emails out of either Claws Mail or Evolution. I can print out
> of OpenOffice, Firefox, Acroread, Gedit. But with both email programs,
> when I bring up the print dialog box, the programs freeze and I have to
> restart them. I've tried reinstalling the printer (an HP Deskjet 6540),
> but that didn't help. And it happens regardless of
> session/window-manager combo -- Xfce4, Gnome, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.
> Seems kind of odd that these two programs would be the only two that
> hang up on print, but hey, whadda I know?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance...
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
> The Christian Science Monitor
> One Norway Street, Boston, MA 02115 USA
> Office: 617-450-2449 | Office-in-home: 508-520-3139
> Email: pspotts@alum.mit.edu | Amateur-radio call: KC1JB
> www.csmonitor.com | www.peterspotts.net
>
> "The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
> -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

I don't know how helpful this will be. I can print fine in Evolution on
my old Okidata OL 600e Laser. Before my HP 6L died, I had to check the
printer settings in the program, then preview the printout before I
could print. If I did not do that in the right order, I locked up and
had to force quit the program.

Still, the printouts were good when I got it to work. Maybe someone else
has a better answer.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz