Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
damian

Default Gnome gone weird for one user

Hello all,

I've just managed to get a xorg file working for my BenQ W100 wide
screen projector giving a good image at 1280x720. It's taken months to
get there so I'm very happy to have a screen that is now the correct
aspect ratio rather than a standard 4/3 screen squashed.

However, these new settings work in all but one user .. mine.

The log in screen comes up in the shiny new resolution and all seems
fine. All is fine if I log in as any other user. But if I log in as
myself, the resolution seems to change to something very odd and is
either babrely readable or my projector refuses to display it all together.

What on earth could be going on here? I can log in ok if I use KDE. If
there a gnome config file or something that I can either edit or delete
to fix this?

Looking forward to any ideas.

Damian

Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Padraig

I've just managed to get a xorg file working for my BenQ W100 wide
screen projector giving a good image at 1280x720. It's taken months to
get there so I'm very happy to have a screen that is now the correct

aspect ratio rather than a standard 4/3 screen squashed.

However, these new settings work in all but one user .. mine.

The log in screen comes up in the shiny new resolution and all seems
fine. All is fine if I log in as any other user. But if I log in as

myself, the resolution seems to change to something very odd and is
either babrely readable or my projector refuses to display it all together.

What on earth could be going on here? I can log in ok if I use KDE. If

there a gnome config file or something that I can either edit or delete
to fix this?

Looking forward to any ideas.
Compare the "Resolution" sections of your xorg.conf file from one user to the next.* Maybe check to see if *your* xorg.conf doesn't have the resolution listed and add as needed.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
damian

Padraig wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2008 10:42 AM, damian <misc@daminator.com
> <mailto:misc@daminator.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've just managed to get a xorg file working for my BenQ W100 wide
> screen projector giving a good image at 1280x720. It's taken months to
> get there so I'm very happy to have a screen that is now the correct
> aspect ratio rather than a standard 4/3 screen squashed.
>
> However, these new settings work in all but one user .. mine.
>
> The log in screen comes up in the shiny new resolution and all seems
> fine. All is fine if I log in as any other user. But if I log in as
> myself, the resolution seems to change to something very odd and is
> either babrely readable or my projector refuses to display it all
> together.
>
> What on earth could be going on here? I can log in ok if I use KDE. If
> there a gnome config file or something that I can either edit or
> delete
> to fix this?
>
> Looking forward to any ideas.
>

> Compare the "Resolution" sections of your xorg.conf file from one user
> to the next. Maybe check to see if *your* xorg.conf doesn't have the
> resolution listed and add as needed.

Isn't xorg.conf a system wide file, not a 'per user' file?

Damian

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 AM
damian

damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just managed to get a xorg file working for my BenQ W100 wide
> screen projector giving a good image at 1280x720. It's taken months to
> get there so I'm very happy to have a screen that is now the correct
> aspect ratio rather than a standard 4/3 screen squashed.
>
> However, these new settings work in all but one user .. mine.
>
> The log in screen comes up in the shiny new resolution and all seems
> fine. All is fine if I log in as any other user. But if I log in as
> myself, the resolution seems to change to something very odd and is
> either babrely readable or my projector refuses to display it all together.
>
> What on earth could be going on here? I can log in ok if I use KDE. If
> there a gnome config file or something that I can either edit or delete
> to fix this?
>
> Looking forward to any ideas.
>
> Damian

Anyone else got any ideas on this?

Is there anyway to 'reset' gnome? Any user independent config files that
I can look in for resolution settings or anything else that could be
causing this?

Cheers
Damian

Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
NoOp

On 02/11/2008 05:47 PM, damian wrote:

> Is there anyway to 'reset' gnome? Any user independent config files that
> I can look in for resolution settings or anything else that could be
> causing this?
>
> Cheers
> Damian

This might be of help:
<http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/how-to-reset-ubuntugnome-settings-to-defaults-without-re-installing/>

Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Richard Rudnick

damian wrote:
> damian wrote:

> Anyone else got any ideas on this?
>
> Is there anyway to 'reset' gnome? Any user independent config files that
> I can look in for resolution settings or anything else that could be
> causing this?

have you tried gconf-editor /desktop/gnome/screen/ , gnome's screen
resolution settings are stored there.