Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
norman

Default camera recognition

I have the Olympus SP500UZ which is not recognised by Ubuntu 7.10. Does
anyone know if any of the cameras recognised by Ubuntu 7.10 may be
substituted for SP500UZ. Thanks in advance.

Norman

Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Karl Larsen

norman wrote:
> I have the Olympus SP500UZ which is not recognised by Ubuntu 7.10. Does
> anyone know if any of the cameras recognised by Ubuntu 7.10 may be
> substituted for SP500UZ. Thanks in advance.
>
> Norman

Go to http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=vid and then down the
page to webcam and buy this:
Logitech USB 2.0 Quickcam Chat Webcam w/Microphone

This will work on Skype and costs $20.00 with shipping.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Larsen wrote:
> norman wrote:
> > I have the Olympus SP500UZ which is not recognised by Ubuntu 7.10.
> > Does anyone know if any of the cameras recognised by Ubuntu 7.10 may
> > be substituted for SP500UZ. Thanks in advance.
>
> Go to http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=vid and then down the
> page to webcam and buy this:
> Logitech USB 2.0 Quickcam Chat Webcam w/Microphone
>
> This will work on Skype and costs $20.00 with shipping.

But you do realize, that the SP500UZ is a REAL camera, not a toy for Skype
or similar programs?

For the OP: According to <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=240387>
the camera should work with Ubuntu 6.06. I think it should work with 7.10
also.

Nils

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
norman

> > > I have the Olympus SP500UZ which is not recognised by Ubuntu 7.10.
> > > Does anyone know if any of the cameras recognised by Ubuntu 7.10 may
> > > be substituted for SP500UZ. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Go to http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=vid and then down the
> > page to webcam and buy this:
> > Logitech USB 2.0 Quickcam Chat Webcam w/Microphone
> >
> > This will work on Skype and costs $20.00 with shipping.
>
> But you do realize, that the SP500UZ is a REAL camera, not a toy for Skype
> or similar programs?
>
> For the OP: According to <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=240387>
> the camera should work with Ubuntu 6.06. I think it should work with 7.10
> also.

I have the camera in front of me and I will describe what happens when I
plug the cable into the USB port. A screen lights up on the camera from
which I select PC and a window opens on the desktop labelled 'Import
Photos'. However, the camera which appears on the window, is not the
SP500UZ but the previous camera which had used my PC successfully. I
look on the list of cameras provided but my camera is not there. This is
not the behaviour described in the thread given by Nils therefore, I
must assume, that while the camera was recognised as something plugged
into a USB port by Ubuntu 6.06 it does not work with Ubuntu 7.10.

Norman

Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
andy baxter

norman wrote:
> I have the camera in front of me and I will describe what happens when I
> plug the cable into the USB port. A screen lights up on the camera from
> which I select PC and a window opens on the desktop labelled 'Import
> Photos'. However, the camera which appears on the window, is not the
> SP500UZ but the previous camera which had used my PC successfully. I
> look on the list of cameras provided but my camera is not there. This is
> not the behaviour described in the thread given by Nils therefore, I
> must assume, that while the camera was recognised as something plugged
> into a USB port by Ubuntu 6.06 it does not work with Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> Norman

Have you tried pressing cancel when the 'Import photos' window opens,
then looking on the desktop to see if the camera has mounted as a normal
USB block device, similar to a flash drive or external hard disk. If so,
you should at least be able to copy the photos onto your computer by
dragging and dropping them from this device, then import them into a
photo album program later.

andy.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
norman

> > I have the camera in front of me and I will describe what happens when I
> > plug the cable into the USB port. A screen lights up on the camera from
> > which I select PC and a window opens on the desktop labelled 'Import
> > Photos'. However, the camera which appears on the window, is not the
> > SP500UZ but the previous camera which had used my PC successfully. I
> > look on the list of cameras provided but my camera is not there. This is
> > not the behaviour described in the thread given by Nils therefore, I
> > must assume, that while the camera was recognised as something plugged
> > into a USB port by Ubuntu 6.06 it does not work with Ubuntu 7.10.

> Have you tried pressing cancel when the 'Import photos' window opens,
> then looking on the desktop to see if the camera has mounted as a normal
> USB block device, similar to a flash drive or external hard disk. If so,
> you should at least be able to copy the photos onto your computer by
> dragging and dropping them from this device, then import them into a
> photo album program later.

Yes, Andy, I have and the icon is not there. In fact, using the card
reader, into which I put the card from the camera, the icon to which you
refer appears from which I drag the photos. What I am trying to avoid is
wear and tear on the card contacts and the contacts in the camera.

Norman

Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
NoOp

On 02/11/2008 12:14 PM, norman wrote:

> Yes, Andy, I have and the icon is not there. In fact, using the card
> reader, into which I put the card from the camera, the icon to which you
> refer appears from which I drag the photos. What I am trying to avoid is
> wear and tear on the card contacts and the contacts in the camera.

I recall a similar problem that I had with my son's camera on his 7.10 -
can't remember the model just now, but what I eventually ended up doing
was going to
Places|Computer
and the device showed up there. I could then copy the files/photos etc.
Sorry, can't recall how I resolved it (it was in November). I'll log
into his system (remotely) later this week and see if I can remember
what I modified.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
NoOp

On 02/12/2008 09:45 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/11/2008 12:14 PM, norman wrote:
>

>> Yes, Andy, I have and the icon is not there. In fact, using the card
>> reader, into which I put the card from the camera, the icon to which you
>> refer appears from which I drag the photos. What I am trying to avoid is
>> wear and tear on the card contacts and the contacts in the camera.
>>

> I recall a similar problem that I had with my son's camera on his 7.10 -
> can't remember the model just now, but what I eventually ended up doing
> was going to
> Places|Computer
> and the device showed up there. I could then copy the files/photos etc.
> Sorry, can't recall how I resolved it (it was in November). I'll log
> into his system (remotely) later this week and see if I can remember
> what I modified.

I *think* I recall reloading libgphoto2 as
/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libgphoto2.rules didn't have the device listed.
These _might_ be of some help, your device should be:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="07b4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0109", MODE="0660",
GROUP="plugdev"
and under lusb:
07b4:0109

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2B07b4%3A0109&btnG=Google+S earch