Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Jack Bowling

Default karl-desktop

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:00:40PM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:

> Sadly, another post from res in this thread descends to the level of which
> you speak...

I wouldn't know. res has been in my procmail killfile for years since my
RH days of the distant past.

Jack

Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Res wrote:
> This is addressed to Bart, it is best others ignore it
>

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm not communicating clearly.
>
> you did and I dont give a toss about your higher and mighty opinion of
> yourself, your no more important around here than anyone else,

If you did understand it, then where are you interpreting this attitude
from? What I said was that if you wanted information from others, you
play by their rules. I don't really care what you do one way or the other.

> regardles sof those fake tickets you have stuck to yoursel, your response
> to me is rude and arrogant so yes you fall into
> that class very clearly, and IMHO newbies are better off not having to
> deal with moronic tossers like yourself, there are hundreds more of us out
> here who dont mind helping them.

How was it rude to you?

> your opinion means little to me, as i'm sure it does to countless others

That just calls into question your reading skills as I didn't contribute
an opinion to you in this thread.

That was rather a personal insult, I admit, but apparently you're ready
to start tossing them at me when I didn't insult you. I made a
statement about the fact that if you WANT HELP from someone that does
have an attitude about how things are done, you do it by their rules or
ignore it and risk not getting answers or contributions you're looking for.

Up until this point I didn't insult you at all. I made a statement
related the fact I just pointed out above.

Your fit is far more similar to the fools in grade school that throw
hissy fits when teacher marks off points because they didn't turn in a
paper with the format or rubric the teacher originally told them to follow.

> ahh i see your point of view now the "how dare you threaten a process that
> will take away my right to be an abnoxious chest beating wanker" you
> are he exact sort of person who I am referring to.

Excuse me, but what the hell are you talking about? How dare you
threaten a process that will take away my right to be an obnoxious chest
beating wanker?

Dude, odd as it may sound, you may have overlooked the fact that said
several times I don't really give a damn what you decide to do one way
or the other. I was pointing out a fact in the first half regarding
abiding by other's rules for help, and then in this half I did give an
opinion, and you decided somehow that you were going to exercise your
perceived right to be a chest beating wanker while calling other people
names, ironically while complaining that no one should be able to do
this without an official moderator appointed to the task.

Maybe you should try going through different lists on Usenet and mailing
lists with similar traffic loads to this one and look at
A) how many lists are indeed moderated by official moderators
B) what the trends really are in their usage and the number of "fringe"
incidents arise by people who are then shouted down by the masses
C) what actually fans the flames when someone acts up in the list and
how long it lasts when left alone.
D) how often the SAME things are said about said incidents over and over
again
E) the economics for someone to spend their time moderating a list like
this, where overall the help response is successful rather than, oh,
living their life.

> Now my response was not nicely toned, I apologise to all OTHER
> member sof the list who bothered to read it, I have to date remained very
> civil tongues on this lsit,

Um, no, you haven't. You at this point are clearly intentionally
misinterpreting what I said, since I did NOT personally insult you and
you then turned around and committed the same offense you claimed you
didn't want others to do.

> but if tehres one thing get pisses me opff,
> is the self appointed netcops, who think they are someobody important,
> had you debated your right to be a self appointed netcop in a more
> professional and polite manor bart I certainly would never have lowered
> myself your level of standard, you deserved this tongue lashing and in
> fact you deserve a lot more, but I dont waste time of losers.

*shrug* I never claimed to be a netcop, I never told you how to format
your responses. What part of
IF YOU WANT TO GET ANSWERS FROM THE PEOPLE YOU CLAIM ARE NETCOPS AND
THEY HAVE THE ANSWER YOU WANT, YOU PLAY BY THEIR RULES, IF YOU DON'T,
THEN DO WHAT YOU WANT. I DON'T CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER
did you not understand? Instead you insulted ME for pointing this out.

> flame away loser, the best have tried it on with me dateing back to the
> days you were not even conceived...

*shrug* I would only speculate you don't pay much attention to all your
experience, since it is rather childish to bait me with an insult
implying you even know my age when I don't recall ever discussing it
with you. Or this list for this matter. I'm not going to "whip my
manhood" out in a contest against you simply because you're looking to
be insulted and it was never my intention, nor did I even attempt to,
insult you or provoke your anger issues.

I summed up what my response in this thread to you was. It's all in
caps not far above this paragraph. Go back and read the summary, and I
don't care what you end up deciding to do.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Shane Morrison wrote:
> What i find amazing is all you guys take this list so seriously, like its a
> matter of life and death. This list is just for people to casually ask for
> help, who cares about top posting, posting in too many new threads, etc. If
> you don't like it, don't read it. You're the one that chose to read it and
> be offended!

Isn't this close to what I originally was saying? If people have
answers to questions, but are annoyed by the way the question is
presented, they won't answer it...if you want help from those people,
don't annoy them with your method of asking?

Honestly, did you, Shane, read something else into my reply on this
thread that made me the rude self-appointed netcop I'm being accused of
being? Hey, if the majority of the list things I did this, then I'll
take my lumps and apologize for it, since that wasn't my intention and
really I didn't think I even said what he apparently is reading into my
reply. I don't see what he's claiming is there.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Karl Larsen

Getting back to karl-desktop. This is the 'hostname' given to my
system by the Ubuntu loader. To use the applications I want to the
'hostname' has to change.

If I ping localhost I get:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ ping localhost
PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms

which is perfect. But where do I get the localhost from? It is not
defined in /etc/host.conf like other Linux.

Karl

Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Tony Arnold

Karl,

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Getting back to karl-desktop. This is the 'hostname' given to my
> system by the Ubuntu loader. To use the applications I want to the
> 'hostname' has to change.
>
> If I ping localhost I get:
>
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ ping localhost
> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms
>
> which is perfect. But where do I get the localhost from? It is not
> defined in /etc/host.conf like other Linux.

localhost is defined in /etc/hosts and is always 127.0.0.1. The host
name (karl-desktop in your case) is defined in /etc/hostname. I'm not
sure what the impact of changing this would be though.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold

Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 05:58 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Getting back to karl-desktop. This is the 'hostname' given to my
> system by the Ubuntu loader. To use the applications I want to the
> 'hostname' has to change.
>
> If I ping localhost I get:
>
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ ping localhost
> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms
>
> which is perfect. But where do I get the localhost from? It is not
> defined in /etc/host.conf like other Linux.
>
> Karl

Tony gave a good answer to where it is defined. If you change localhost
from 127.0.0.1, Ubuntu will change it back. You can, however, add a line
in /etc/hosts using 127.0.1.1 and any hostname you chose. This may be
what you need to solve the problem.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Padraig

On Feb 10, 2008 2:32 AM, Res <res@ausics.net> wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:31:06 +1000 (EST)
> Res <res@ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> This is addressed to Bart, it is best others ignore it

> Kind of a bit public... *you know... international archived mailing list,
> and all that...

Yep I know, but I think I had a right of reply to his rough tactic
approach to me, the first person i've actually encountered any hostility

from, most probably wont be the last, but all of most posts on this list
to date and to the members of this list I've helped in private or on list
have been polite and professional and in the main will always be.

You were met with "rough tactics" because, most adults don't accept "I'll do what I want because I'm special" from their children so there's no chance they'll accept it from other adults.

Unless I'm making an assumption here about your level of maturity.* Which seems highly possible, given your outburst.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Karl Larsen

Tony Arnold wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Getting back to karl-desktop. This is the 'hostname' given to my
>> system by the Ubuntu loader. To use the applications I want to the
>> 'hostname' has to change.
>>
>> If I ping localhost I get:
>>
>> karl@karl-desktop:~$ ping localhost
>> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms
>>
>> which is perfect. But where do I get the localhost from? It is not
>> defined in /etc/host.conf like other Linux.
>>

> localhost is defined in /etc/hosts and is always 127.0.0.1. The host
> name (karl-desktop in your case) is defined in /etc/hostname. I'm not
> sure what the impact of changing this would be though.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony and thanks. I have a good idea what the impact is. Fooling
around with things in host.conf had bad effects. No X Window ect :-)

Here is what is in hosts:

karl@karl-desktop:/etc$ cat hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 karl-desktop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
karl@karl-desktop:/etc$

I will think on this and see what might be done.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Karl Larsen

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 05:58 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Getting back to karl-desktop. This is the 'hostname' given to my
>> system by the Ubuntu loader. To use the applications I want to the
>> 'hostname' has to change.
>>
>> If I ping localhost I get:
>>
>> karl@karl-desktop:~$ ping localhost
>> PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms
>>
>> which is perfect. But where do I get the localhost from? It is not
>> defined in /etc/host.conf like other Linux.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Tony gave a good answer to where it is defined. If you change localhost
> from 127.0.0.1, Ubuntu will change it back. You can, however, add a line
> in /etc/hosts using 127.0.1.1 and any hostname you chose. This may be
> what you need to solve the problem.
>
> good luck,

Well I think never should you have two names to a ip address. I was
doing that yesterday and Ubuntu got VERY confused. So yes I can use, for
example k5di.com provided that I define it exactly the same in hosts and
host.conf and maybe elsewhere.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Chris

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:44:55 -0500
Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> Shane Morrison wrote:
> > What i find amazing is all you guys take this list so seriously,
> > like its a matter of life and death. This list is just for people
> > to casually ask for help, who cares about top posting, posting in
> > too many new threads, etc. If you don't like it, don't read it.
> > You're the one that chose to read it and be offended!
>
> Isn't this close to what I originally was saying? If people have
> answers to questions, but are annoyed by the way the question is
> presented, they won't answer it...if you want help from those people,
> don't annoy them with your method of asking?
>
> Honestly, did you, Shane, read something else into my reply on this
> thread that made me the rude self-appointed netcop I'm being accused
> of being? Hey, if the majority of the list things I did this, then
> I'll take my lumps and apologize for it, since that wasn't my
> intention and really I didn't think I even said what he apparently is
> reading into my reply. I don't see what he's claiming is there.

Naa Bart, your cool with me mate. I heard ya.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Luke Skywalker:
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home.
They're not much bigger than two meters.