FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Stratos Laspas
 
Default karl-desktop

On 10/02/2008 06:30 μμ, Karl Larsen wrote:

>>
> Well I think never should you have two names to a ip address. I was
> doing that yesterday and Ubuntu got VERY confused. So yes I can use, for
> example k5di.com provided that I define it exactly the same in hosts and
> host.conf and maybe elsewhere.
>
> Karl
>
>

I am quite surprised you did not simply google "visible_hostname".

If your problem is setting up squid, just edit squid.conf, find the tag
"visible_hostname", uncomment it, change it to "visible_hostname
localhost" without the quotes, and that's it.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default karl-desktop

Stratos Laspas wrote:
> On 10/02/2008 06:30 μμ, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>
>>>
>>>
>> Well I think never should you have two names to a ip address. I was
>> doing that yesterday and Ubuntu got VERY confused. So yes I can use, for
>> example k5di.com provided that I define it exactly the same in hosts and
>> host.conf and maybe elsewhere.
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>>
>
> I am quite surprised you did not simply google "visible_hostname".
>
> If your problem is setting up squid, just edit squid.conf, find the tag
> "visible_hostname", uncomment it, change it to "visible_hostname
> localhost" without the quotes, and that's it.
>
>
I tried just adding and then =localhost and get a fault thus with both:

root@karl-desktop:/etc/squid# squid
2008/02/10 13:13:48| parseConfigFile: line 2857 unrecognized: ' TAG:
visible_hostname=localhost'
FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
'visible_hostname'

Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.008 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.000 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0
Aborted (core dumped)

I will try man squid and see if there is any help.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
jim barnes
 
Default karl-desktop

On Sunday 10 February 2008 13:17:47 Karl Larsen wrote:
> I tried just adding and then =localhost and get a fault thus with both:
>
> root@karl-desktop:/etc/squid# squid
> 2008/02/10 13:13:48| parseConfigFile: line 2857 unrecognized: ' TAG:
> visible_hostname=localhost'
^
Loose the =sign, space instead.

> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.008 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.000 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I will try man squid and see if there is any help.

--
Jim Barnes
--
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. -Lazarus Long
--
Linux 2.6.20-16-generic

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default karl-desktop

jim barnes wrote:
> On Sunday 10 February 2008 13:17:47 Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I tried just adding and then =localhost and get a fault thus with both:
>>
>> root@karl-desktop:/etc/squid# squid
>> 2008/02/10 13:13:48| parseConfigFile: line 2857 unrecognized: ' TAG:
>> visible_hostname=localhost'
>>
> ^
> Loose the =sign, space instead.
>

I did that first and it didn't work.

Karl

>
>> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
>> 'visible_hostname'
>>
>> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
>> CPU Usage: 0.008 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.000 sys
>> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
>> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>> I will try man squid and see if there is any help.
>>
>
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
NoOp
 
Default karl-desktop

On 02/10/2008 12:53 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> jim barnes wrote:
>> On Sunday 10 February 2008 13:17:47 Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> I tried just adding and then =localhost and get a fault thus with both:
>>>
>>> root@karl-desktop:/etc/squid# squid
>>> 2008/02/10 13:13:48| parseConfigFile: line 2857 unrecognized: ' TAG:
>>> visible_hostname=localhost'
>>>
>> ^
>> Loose the =sign, space instead.
>>
>
> I did that first and it didn't work.
>
> Karl
>

Did you stop and restart squid after you make that change?

Try changing to:

visible_hostname karl-desktop

stop squid & restart.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Res
 
Default karl-desktop

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>> you did and I dont give a toss about your higher and mighty opinion of
>> yourself, your no more important around here than anyone else,
>
> If you did understand it, then where are you interpreting this attitude
> from? What I said was that if you wanted information from others, you
> play by their rules. I don't really care what you do one way or the other.

Sure, but yo come accross as some stand over merchant, and I've seen
people like you for over 10 years make newbies not participate for
fear of being ridiculed, as a moderator of many lists over this 10 year
period, I have lost count of how many people like you I have kicked
off lists (after copious warnings) so newbies are not intimidated, its
noticable after the 'mouths' get removed many others start asking
questions, silly as some may be, but acceptable for newbies.

>
> That was rather a personal insult, I admit, but apparently you're ready
> to start tossing them at me when I didn't insult you. I made a

Maybe I dont like bullies? I have always stood up to them and defended
those lesser, I admit however, you may not even realise some could
consider you that way.

> statement about the fact that if you WANT HELP from someone that does
> have an attitude about how things are done, you do it by their rules or
> ignore it and risk not getting answers or contributions you're looking for.

Again, they are better off getting that help eslewhere if you want to
think your god thats fine by me, I have anotehr name for your type.

> Excuse me, but what the hell are you talking about? How dare you
> threaten a process that will take away my right to be an obnoxious chest
> beating wanker?

I thought as much.

> Maybe you should try going through different lists on Usenet and mailing
> lists with similar traffic loads to this one and look at

oh dear, here you go trying to insinuate im some clueless newbie, *sigh*
read above, I run lists with high traffic, higher traffic than this list,
what a measly 100-200 msgs a day is NOTHING.
Not to mention the other lists I'm on as a normal user.

> A) how many lists are indeed moderated by official moderators

This one apparently, even the fedora list has an active moderator

> B) what the trends really are in their usage and the number of "fringe"
> incidents arise by people who are then shouted down by the masses

not shouted down by self appointed net cops because the mods never let it
get that far, there's a clear code of conduct on 99% of them.

> C) what actually fans the flames when someone acts up in the list and
> how long it lasts when left alone.
what fans it is the people who 'jump on the bandwagon' who actually have
NFI what they are going on about


> D) how often the SAME things are said about said incidents over and over
> again

> E) the economics for someone to spend their time moderating a list like
> this, where overall the help response is successful rather than, oh,
> living their life.

1-200 msgs a day is nothing when you have a couple of moderators

> IF YOU WANT TO GET ANSWERS FROM THE PEOPLE YOU CLAIM ARE NETCOPS AND

i dont need to get answers from shouting little tosspots like yourself,
and i'm sure that once the silent newbies on this list see what sort of a
'i'm am mightier and all great' lamer you are they will be greatful not to
get one from you


--
Cheers
Res

mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Res
 
Default karl-desktop

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Padraig wrote:

> You were met with "rough tactics" because, most adults don't accept
> "I'll do what I want because I'm special" from their children so there's
> no chance they'll accept it from other adults.

Thats absolutely correct, that is excactly how I portrayed bart, which he
seems to tihk hes special by thinking he has a right to be a wanka and
demand people type they way he wants.




--
Cheers
Res

mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Res
 
Default karl-desktop

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Res wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Padraig wrote:
>
>> You were met with "rough tactics" because, most adults don't accept
>> "I'll do what I want because I'm special" from their children so there's
>> no chance they'll accept it from other adults.
>
> Thats absolutely correct, that is excactly how I portrayed bart, which he
> seems to tihk hes special by thinking he has a right to be a wanka and
> demand people type they way he wants.

its simple really, if you dont like the way someone types, kilfile them,
remember their name and dont comment or offer help, or just delete the
damn posts, you have no right to tell someonehow to post, simply just
ignore them if doesnt sit with your pathetic pendantic requirments, I'm
sure those same people you attack are experts in some field and MIGHT be
the only one who can help YOU one day, and of course they will remember
what a wanka you were to them and will not respond to you.



--
Cheers
Res

mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Paul
 
Default karl-desktop

On Feb 13, 2008 5:43 PM, Res <res@ausics.net> wrote:

You had to rehash a long dead thread just to get in the last word?

My initial feelings about you as stated in this thread, were correct.


And plonk...


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default karl-desktop

Res wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Maybe I dont like bullies? I have always stood up to them and defended
> those lesser, I admit however, you may not even realise some could
> consider you that way.

Bullies? What did I demand of anyone? Point out where in my post that
I made such a grievous transgression that I apparently am deserving of
such vitriolic replies, when all I did was say that if you don't play by
what the people generally want as rules, you risk not getting help?

I never bullied anyone here, I didn't even INSULT him, I didn't belittle
him, yet for some reason you seem to be going out of your way to raise
me up as an example of the transgressor!

At this point, I want the quote. I want to know what exactly I said
that deserved this response. Otherwise, I call bullshit on this. If
anything, I'M being bullied, unless you prove otherwise.

I even SAID ON THIS LIST that if people point out where I stepped over
the line I would actually apologize. So far, NO ONE, not the OP, not
another person seeing this, has stepped forward on this. So please,
here's an actual demand...show the proof, or please shut up and drop it.
I REALLY don't think this is unreasonable.

>> statement about the fact that if you WANT HELP from someone that does
>> have an attitude about how things are done, you do it by their rules or
>> ignore it and risk not getting answers or contributions you're looking for.
>
> Again, they are better off getting that help eslewhere if you want to
> think your god thats fine by me, I have anotehr name for your type.

What the hell are you talking about? If I think I'm god? I made a
statement. I didn't once say I had the answers. I am saying there are
those on the list that are irked by people that keep irritating them by
not following rules they see as simple courtesy for ease of
reading...i.e., not top posting, not having fifty-line tags, etc...and
if you irritate them they'll ignore you, yet may have the answer you
want. Or they'll killfile you. Same effect. Somehow you are
projecting that I am holding out an answer until you give me candy or
something.

Again. Show me what I did. Or drop it. This is a perfectly reasonable
request. Somewhere you read into my post something that wasn't even
there, and now you can't even admit that you could be WRONG, whereas I
have publicly stated that if you can show the evidence and I'm wrong in
the court of public opinion, I'd ADMIT I WAS IN THE WRONG. As it is,
you keep acting like a jerk and have not reciprocated my offer at all.

>> Excuse me, but what the hell are you talking about? How dare you
>> threaten a process that will take away my right to be an obnoxious chest
>> beating wanker?
>
> I thought as much.

Um...I was quoting what you said, as in disbelief, since I didn't know
where the hell your statement was coming from. I'm beginning to
seriously question your reading skills.

> not shouted down by self appointed net cops because the mods never let it
> get that far, there's a clear code of conduct on 99% of them.

Where did I say I was a self-appointed netcop? Where did I say anything
that even insinuated it?

Quote it. I'm betting you can't.

>> IF YOU WANT TO GET ANSWERS FROM THE PEOPLE YOU CLAIM ARE NETCOPS AND
>
> i dont need to get answers from shouting little tosspots like yourself,
> and i'm sure that once the silent newbies on this list see what sort of a
> 'i'm am mightier and all great' lamer you are they will be greatful not to
> get one from you

Until you can actually produce the proof of where I said anything of the
sort, you're barking up the wrong tree, bud. Here's the challenge.
Show it. It should be right in the archive of this thread. Produce it.
I'm betting you can't. Do it, and I'll apologize and say I was
totally in the wrong. You haven't even the decency to make the same offer.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org