Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Davide Corio

Default Compiz Fusion and Workspace Switcher

Hi *,
it seems impossible to move applications through the workspace switcher
applet with desktop effects enabled.

Is there a workaround?

--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM
"B.J. McClure"

I noticed the same issue but have not found a workaround.* Good luck.

B.J.

CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 x86_64 05:19:28 up 13:53, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.19, 0.11

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
"Caleb Marcus"

Compiz itself has something similar to the workspace switcher window
dragging. It's called Expo. I don't know the default keyboard shortcut
for it in Ubuntu, but you might try installing Advanced Desktop
Settings Manager through Add/Remove (the package is
compizconfig-settings-manager, the executable is ccsm) and configuring
it through there.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
David Vincent

Davide Corio wrote:
> Hi *,
> it seems impossible to move applications through the workspace switcher
> applet with desktop effects enabled.
>
> Is there a workaround?

Is your machine upgraded or a fresh gutsy install? On one of mine which
was upgraded from Feisty and had Beryl installed on it I found I had
four workspaces with Compiz which were disassociated from the four
workspaces of my Gnome desktop. When I would right-click on a window in
the taskbar and send it to workspace three it would go there but there
was no way for me to get it back. I had to turn of desktop effects
before I could get control of that window again.

Switching workspaces in Compiz seemed to switch between four workspaces
on my primary Gnome workspace.

(I've probably murdered some terms in there, I hope that is clear to you.)

Eventually I found the problem, it was somewhere in the advanced Compiz
settings. I'm not near that machine right now but if this sounds like
your issue I can take a peek today and post back.

-d

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
"Xurxo F."

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 09:38 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:
> Compiz itself has something similar to the workspace switcher window
> dragging. It's called Expo. I don't know the default keyboard shortcut
> for it in Ubuntu, but you might try installing Advanced Desktop
> Settings Manager through Add/Remove (the package is
> compizconfig-settings-manager, the executable is ccsm) and configuring
> it through there.

Super + E but you may want to set it to one of the upper corners (AFAIK
Expo's default configuration was the upper left corner and the upper
right one to the expose plugin but they removed both shortcuts in
ubuntu).

Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno lun, 26/11/2007 alle 07.31 -0800, David Vincent ha scritto:
> Is your machine upgraded or a fresh gutsy install?

A fresh gutsy.
But I noticed that problems on every pc with gutsy I installed before.
So i think that everyone of you should have this problem.

> Eventually I found the problem, it was somewhere in the advanced Compiz
> settings. I'm not near that machine right now but if this sounds like
> your issue I can take a peek today and post back.

In the "general options -> Desktop Size" tab of advanced desktop effects
settings, you can increase the number of desktops to 4. Doing this I can
drag windows through the workspaces, but compiz seems to go mad.

Talking about Expo.
How can I setup Expo to show only the apps opened in the current
workspace? (like macosx exposŤ)

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Michael Knepher

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:38 +0100, Davide Corio wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 26/11/2007 alle 07.31 -0800, David Vincent ha scritto:
> > Is your machine upgraded or a fresh gutsy install?
>
> A fresh gutsy.
> But I noticed that problems on every pc with gutsy I installed before.
> So i think that everyone of you should have this problem.
>
> > Eventually I found the problem, it was somewhere in the advanced Compiz
> > settings. I'm not near that machine right now but if this sounds like
> > your issue I can take a peek today and post back.
>
> In the "general options -> Desktop Size" tab of advanced desktop effects
> settings, you can increase the number of desktops to 4. Doing this I can
> drag windows through the workspaces, but compiz seems to go mad.

The gnome workspace applet doesn't seem to have full support for
compiz's viewport model yet, which most of the compiz plugins are
designed around. Metacity, which the applet was originally made for,
uses a "desktop" model. The applet has been hacked to have basic
viewport support, but dragging apps from viewport to viewport isn't
there yet. Don't ask me the difference between viewports and desktops,
but it's apparently enough to cause issues like this one.

> Talking about Expo.
> How can I setup Expo to show only the apps opened in the current
> workspace? (like macosx exposŤ)

In this case, I think you want to use the Scale plugin. This will let
you set separate bindings for displaying apps on the current workspace
and for displaying all running apps.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Davide Corio

Il giorno mer, 28/11/2007 alle 07.59 -0800, Michael Knepher ha scritto:
> In this case, I think you want to use the Scale plugin. This will let
> you set separate bindings for displaying apps on the current workspace
> and for displaying all running apps.

Yes! Thanks