Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Padraig

Default karl-desktop

On Feb 9, 2008 8:16 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

* *I have been learning and putting off weird things in Ubuntu that
need changing.
Karl, please stop making new posts to the list about a single topic.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Dan Farrell

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 19:48:12 -0600
Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> > Karl, please stop making new posts to the list about a single topic.
>
> If its a new topic, then what else should he be doing? If it's
> something that he stumbled on - and it's only the one topic, what else
> would you have him do?
>
> He's doing the right thing - even though it may only be one topic (in
> fact, most posts here are just ONE TOPIC).
>
> Are you trying to create somethig that isnt there? Are you willing to
> pick a fight with 90% of the users that post just a one-topic posting?
>
> Sure - he may be asking many things, but come on. This list is here to
> answer questions and lend help to whomever needs it ... One topic at a
> time or many....

I think the OP means that carl's mixings of replies and different
subjects in different emails _about_ the same topic breaks the
organization of our mail readers. For example, this 'thread' in my
browser shows as three = 'karl-desktop', 'localhost', and 'squid' are
all about the same thing but aren't organized together.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Chris

--
Best regards,
Chris

Luke Skywalker:
Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Emperor Palpatine:
Your faith in your friends is yours.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Karl Larsen

Padraig wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 8:16 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> I have been learning and putting off weird things in Ubuntu that
>> need changing.
>>

> Karl, please stop making new posts to the list about a single topic.

This is a new topic. Sorry your too poor to notice.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 AM
steve

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Bart Silverstrim

steve wrote:

> Padraig wrote:
>

> | Karl, please stop making new posts to the list about a single topic.
> |

> gotta love the list police.
>
> listen up everyone!! no more posts ok? the list is now closed. doh.
>
> good lord man, get a life, were all here to help newcomers, and old
> alike, regardless of competency.

On the other hand, unless I'm mistaken as to who had said what, Karl
wasn't exactly completely guiltless in provoking said list police with
some rather harsh wording at some point.

Second, if list police also do contribute to helping people, then if you
want to try to get their help you should try to play to their rules as
much as you may hate it. Otherwise they will ignore or blacklist your
requests. If that doesn't bother you, then do whatever the h$ll you
want, I guess.

I dislike the listmoms too, but at the same time if people are screwing
with the way things thread it does get annoying when trying to follow
requests for help. *shrug*

Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Res

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Second, if list police also do contribute to helping people, then if you

Nobody has the right to tell anyone who can say or do what, except the
REAL list moderators, leave the moderation to them, not the self appointed
chest beaters because they are of NO MORE importance or authority on list
then you, I or even some 5 minute newbie.

> I dislike the listmoms too, but at the same time if people are screwing
> with the way things thread it does get annoying when trying to follow
> requests for help. *shrug*

Then the Ubuntu team need to appoint extra official moderators, its been
proven countless times over the past decades self moderation fails,
because its usually one or a select group of persons with absolutely no
authority what so ever applying "their way of thinking" upon others and
not the offical policies of the list, perhaps the Ubuntu team need to
address this as a mater of priority to prevent it getting out of hand.

--
Cheers
Res

Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Res wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Second, if list police also do contribute to helping people, then if you
>
> Nobody has the right to tell anyone who can say or do what, except the
> REAL list moderators, leave the moderation to them, not the self appointed
> chest beaters because they are of NO MORE importance or authority on list
> then you, I or even some 5 minute newbie.

Maybe I'm not communicating clearly.

I don't care if you piss off self appointed listmoms or not.

If you have an eccentric guru in a corner office and he's the only one
that has an answer you're seeking to a problem, but you must take a pack
of M&M's and separate out all the yellow ones and give him the rest, it
may not make sense, it may sound stupid, but if you want the answer, you
sit down and pull out the yellow ones because that's the price you pay.
I'm not saying it's fair. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying
that's the way things are done.

If the self appointed listmoms can help you, you play by their rules, or
piss'em off and disregard whatever help they may offer and hope others
can answer for you. You're hoping that by complaining about their
behavior you're going to "correct" them or shame them into doing things
YOUR way, i.e., more laid back, essentially a reverse of what they do to
other people and imposing your standard of non-standards on them instead
of them imposing their standard of pedanticism on the masses.

If the self appointed listmoms don't usually contribute anything of use,
then it doesn't really matter what they belch to the group then, does it?

>> I dislike the listmoms too, but at the same time if people are screwing
>> with the way things thread it does get annoying when trying to follow
>> requests for help. *shrug*
>
> Then the Ubuntu team need to appoint extra official moderators, its been
> proven countless times over the past decades self moderation fails,
> because its usually one or a select group of persons with absolutely no
> authority what so ever applying "their way of thinking" upon others and
> not the offical policies of the list, perhaps the Ubuntu team need to
> address this as a mater of priority to prevent it getting out of hand.

Blah. Self-moderation is a general form of evolution to the list, where
you're always going to see stretching of the boundaries at times but
overall the aberrant behavior will be minimized or redirected. Adding
another layer of bureaucracy will achieve more problems than it's worth,
and eventually that person or people will find it a bigger pain in the
arse than it's worth and will eventually suggest a self-moderating
approach or something that will be the equivalent.

The best approach is to just let it go.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Chris

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:48:34 +1000 (EST)
Res <res@ausics.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
> > Second, if list police also do contribute to helping people, then
> > if you
>
> Nobody has the right to tell anyone who can say or do what, except
> the REAL list moderators, leave the moderation to them, not the self
> appointed chest beaters because they are of NO MORE importance or
> authority on list then you, I or even some 5 minute newbie.
>
> > I dislike the listmoms too, but at the same time if people are
> > screwing with the way things thread it does get annoying when
> > trying to follow requests for help. *shrug*
>
> Then the Ubuntu team need to appoint extra official moderators, its
> been proven countless times over the past decades self moderation
> fails, because its usually one or a select group of persons with
> absolutely no authority what so ever applying "their way of thinking"
> upon others and not the offical policies of the list, perhaps the
> Ubuntu team need to address this as a mater of priority to prevent it
> getting out of hand.

Wow! I'm impressed! Res actually didn't result to cursing and
name-calling much like he did in the Fedora list.

Truth-be-known, those of us DO recall the vile vocal extravaganza he
used. I (or we) just wonder how long it will take before the TRUE Res
shows his presence in this list also.

--
Best regards,
Chris

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or
so, nothing continued to happen. "

Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 AM
"Dee McKinney"

/top-post

I like this word:

It's a man's glory to overlook an offense.

:-)