Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Karl Larsen

Default karl-desktop

I have been learning and putting off weird things in Ubuntu that
need changing. I need to see what 'karl-desktop' points to. If I do this
it is odd too:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ locate karl-desktop
/home/karl/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/host-karl-desktop
/home/karl/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/host-karl-desktop/0
/home/karl/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/host-karl-desktop/0/%gconf.xml
/home/karl/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/host-karl-desktop/%gconf.xml
karl@karl-desktop:~$

Need to study this a lot more.

But when I changed hostname to k5di.com all Hell broke out. I could
not open another terminal and it killed the Nvidia needed to bring up X
Windows. I had to back off to init 3 and kill a couple of new
applications and change hostname back to karl-desktop to get Ubuntu to
boot UP!

Now I will get what I want but later. If anyone know why Ubuntu uses
this wierd method I would like to know.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI