Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
shadowkernel

Default How to change gdm screen resolution?

Hi,

My default screen resolution is 1400x1050, and in gdm greeting screen,
the screen resolution is always 1024x768 (xfce and gnome sessions both
work OK). The fonts seems a little blur. My video card is Nvidia Quadro
NVS 140M, and I have installed the newest nvidia driver with version
169. How to change the gdm settings to the LCD native resolution? I have
tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm', but it does not work. By the way, can
anyone provide me with the boot sequences of Ubuntu? It seems that
Ubuntu is different from other distributions, as 'teinit' does not work.
I want to know what configuration files gdm reads. Any websites or pdf
files are welcomed. Thanks!

Best regards

Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 08:46 +0800, shadowkernel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My default screen resolution is 1400x1050, and in gdm greeting screen,
> the screen resolution is always 1024x768 (xfce and gnome sessions both
> work OK). The fonts seems a little blur. My video card is Nvidia Quadro
> NVS 140M, and I have installed the newest nvidia driver with version
> 169. How to change the gdm settings to the LCD native resolution? I have
> tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm', but it does not work. By the way, can
> anyone provide me with the boot sequences of Ubuntu? It seems that
> Ubuntu is different from other distributions, as 'teinit' does not work.
> I want to know what configuration files gdm reads. Any websites or pdf
> files are welcomed. Thanks!
>
> Best regards

To change resolutions in Ubuntu 7.10, go to System, Administration,
Screens and Graphics. Alternatively, go to a terminal, type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

That should let you set up the drivers and resolution. Sometimes the
best method under 7.10 seems to be going to /etc/X11 and removing
xorg.conf and rebooting a couple of times. The system will then set up
the xorg.conf since it doesn't exist.

gdm reads the configuration files in /etc/gdm. The main file
being /etc/gdm/gdm.conf Modifications made by you are stored in
gdm.conf-custom

Ubuntu uses Debian boot sequences; they have been covered many times in
this mailing list. You may want to check out the archives at

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/

Most of the startup files are found in /etc/init.d and run
from /etc/rc?.d during the startup sequence.

Much of this information is available is available in you system
under /usr/share/doc/... Also, I found that by installing
debian-reference-en and reading, many of my own questions were answered
when I started using Ubuntu.

If you need more information, please ask.

good luck,
--
Charlie Kravetz