Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Stew Schneider

Default Server installation

I've got a headless server at a non-profit, and I could save a good deal
of real estate by removing the desktop and X, I'm guessing. How do you
convert a desktop installation into a server installation?

stew

Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 PM
David Duong

Stew Schneider wrote:
> I've got a headless server at a non-profit, and I could save a good deal
> of real estate by removing the desktop and X, I'm guessing. How do you
> convert a desktop installation into a server installation?
>
> stew

If this is a clean PC then I suggest downloading a server version of
Ubuntu and install only the CLI command system (or somewhat along the
lines of that)

With that being said, I found a thread from the Ubuntu Forums on how to
disable X from booting up:

~ David Duong

Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Stew Schneider wrote:

> I've got a headless server at a non-profit, and I could save a good deal
> of real estate by removing the desktop and X, I'm guessing. How do you
> convert a desktop installation into a server installation?

# sudo aptitude purge ubuntu-desktop

should do the job - the server components _shouldn't_ be part of desktop
requirements
--
derek