-   -   Squid (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/51544-squid.html)

David Duong 02-09-2008 10:19 PM

Squid

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I am having trouble setting up squid. It seems to dislike all I have
> done and does this:
>
> File host.conf saved
> root@karl-desktop:/etc# squid -z
> /etc/host.conf: line 2: bad command `127.0.0.1 localhost'
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.008 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.000 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> Aborted (core dumped)
> root@karl-desktop:/etc#
>
> I can't find a visible_hostname anywhere.
>
> karl

Hello Karl,

I believe instead of having "localhost" as your hostname, it must have a
visible hostname (hence the error). So try this:

type hostname and see what's your hostname. If you know your hostname
by heart..good. Also, if you have set your server with an internal
static ip address, remember that too.

Then in the /etc/host.conf, replace the "127.0.0.1" with the actual ip
address of that server and replace "localhost" with your server name.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

--
~ David Duong

Karl Larsen 02-09-2008 10:26 PM

Squid

David Duong wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I am having trouble setting up squid. It seems to dislike all I have
>> done and does this:
>>
>> File host.conf saved
>> root@karl-desktop:/etc# squid -z
>> /etc/host.conf: line 2: bad command `127.0.0.1 localhost'
>> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please set
>> 'visible_hostname'
>>
>> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
>> CPU Usage: 0.008 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.000 sys
>> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
>> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>> root@karl-desktop:/etc#
>>
>> I can't find a visible_hostname anywhere.
>>
>> karl
>>

> Hello Karl,
>
> I believe instead of having "localhost" as your hostname, it must have a
> visible hostname (hence the error). So try this:
>
> type hostname and see what's your hostname. If you know your hostname
> by heart..good. Also, if you have set your server with an internal
> static ip address, remember that too.
>
> Then in the /etc/host.conf, replace the "127.0.0.1" with the actual ip
> address of that server and replace "localhost" with your server name.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Yes the hostname is queer. It is:
karl@karl-desktop:~$ hostname
karl-desktop

So I can change that to k5di.com which I used on Red Hat and it
worked fine. Will try that.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Joy Methew" 05-29-2008 04:32 AM

Squid

hi all...
how i can configure authancation in squid server..........please
help me!!!!

Cameron Simpson 05-29-2008 05:40 AM

Squid

On 29May2008 10:02, Joy Methew <ml4joy@gmail.com> wrote:
| how i can configure authancation in squid server..........please

1: Visit the squid home page.
2: Find the documentation for auth_param, in "basic" mode.
3: Find the documentation for "proxy_auth" ACLs.
4: Use auth_param to set up the authentication.
5: Write an "acl" to use "proxy_auth" authentication (4).
6: Use the "http_access" directive to specify the ACL you just made.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

And besides, we've already discussed the proper way to pick up a bike, at
great length. You start by buying it a drink.
- Joe McConnell <josephm@sojourn.com>

"Joy Methew" 06-06-2008 05:09 AM

squid

hello allo.....
how we can restrict p2p connection from squid???

Pat Riehecky 06-06-2008 08:00 AM

squid

Squid is primarily an http/ftp proxy. I doubt it can be used to perform
this. I would instead look into QOS for linux. Squid does not speak
bittorrent and thus is not a complete p2p restriction solution (if you
can even figure out a way to make it work for any of the other
protocols, which again I expect to require LOTS of custom coding).

Pat

"Joy Methew" 07-20-2008 08:19 AM

Squid

hello all ...
I'm using squid proxy server under RHEL5 . How to filter a
particular MAC address under squid?

I am using squid-2.6.STABLE13-1.fc6. i have download its
squid-3.0.STABLE8 src.

I have recompile squid and make it before mac based filtering works.

#cd /squid-3.0.STABLE8

there is configure file.

then i run

% ./configure --enable-arp-acl

%make clean
% make

# vi /etc/squid/squid.conf

acl macf2 arp 00:11:22:33:44:55
http_access allow macf2
http_access deny all

Save and close the file. Restart squid server:
# /etc/init.d/squid restart

Stopping squid: [FAILED]
Starting squid: [FAILED]

any suggestion ???

"Nabeel Moidu" 07-20-2008 08:37 AM

Squid

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Joy Methew <ml4joy@gmail.com> wrote:

> # /etc/init.d/squid restart
>
> Stopping squid: [FAILED]
> Starting squid: [FAILED]
>
> any suggestion ???

squid -k parse

See if there are any errors in /var/log/squid/* or /var/log/messages
--
Regards
Nabeel Moidu

Barry Brimer 07-20-2008 01:54 PM

Squid

I'm using squid proxy server under RHEL5 . How to filter a
particular MAC address under squid?

Take the current RHEL5 squid SRPM, install it, edit the .spec file ..
making sure you add "--enable-arp-acl" to the configure line and
build/install the RPM.

"Madan Thapa" 07-20-2008 02:39 PM

Squid

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Barry Brimer <lists@brimer.org> wrote:

> I'm using squid proxy server under RHEL5 . How to filter a
>> particular MAC address under squid?

Do you want to block a mac address or want to allow only one particular mac
address source ?

You can block mac using IPTABLES , which is more efficient approach to block
at the network layer (level) rather than with squid at application layer.
If you are blocking using squid to display the "Access Denied" banner, then
it is ok.