Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Default Windoz Install CD and Linux?

Hello everyone

I have a test Laptop, currently Ubuntu 7.10 and fedora as double boot installed.
Because of webcam driver development I decided to trash the first partition and
install Windoz on it. But this was not possible, the Windoz install CD did not
boot on this laptop :-(. I tried the CD on a other PC and it was booting just fine!
Today, I bought a new HD for that laptop and now the Windoz install CD just
booted fine!? and I could install Windoz!

Does the Windoz XP Pro install CD have some "anti" Linux detection?

Anyone out there had the same experience?

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
steve

Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Thomas Kaiser

steve wrote:

> Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> | Hello everyone
> |
> | I have a test Laptop, currently Ubuntu 7.10 and fedora as double boot
> installed.
> | Because of webcam driver development I decided to trash the first
> partition and
> | install Windoz on it. But this was not possible, the Windoz install CD
> did not
> | boot on this laptop :-(. I tried the CD on a other PC and it was
> booting just fine!
> | Today, I bought a new HD for that laptop and now the Windoz install CD
> just
> | booted fine!? and I could install Windoz!
> |
> | Does the Windoz XP Pro install CD have some "anti" Linux detection?
> |
> | Anyone out there had the same experience?
> |
> | Thomas
> |

> its got nothing to do with "anti linux" detection. theres no such
> thing. im 100% sure its got more to do with one of these 3, the cdrom
> driver, bios boot settings, or the type of cd you used.

I did play with all BIOS settings. An none did work. The Ubuntu live CD was
always booting OK! Then I took out the HD and the Windoz XP install CD did boot!
Really strange.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Mike McMullin

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:01 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> steve wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> > | Hello everyone
> > |
> > | I have a test Laptop, currently Ubuntu 7.10 and fedora as double boot
> > installed.
> > | Because of webcam driver development I decided to trash the first
> > partition and
> > | install Windoz on it. But this was not possible, the Windoz install CD
> > did not
> > | boot on this laptop :-(. I tried the CD on a other PC and it was
> > booting just fine!
> > | Today, I bought a new HD for that laptop and now the Windoz install CD
> > just
> > | booted fine!? and I could install Windoz!
> > |
> > | Does the Windoz XP Pro install CD have some "anti" Linux detection?
> > |
> > | Anyone out there had the same experience?
> > |
> > | Thomas
> > |

> > its got nothing to do with "anti linux" detection. theres no such
> > thing. im 100% sure its got more to do with one of these 3, the cdrom
> > driver, bios boot settings, or the type of cd you used.
>
> I did play with all BIOS settings. An none did work. The Ubuntu live CD was
> always booting OK! Then I took out the HD and the Windoz XP install CD did boot!
> Really strange.

Check the boot order preference settings in the bios, you want the
dvd/cd-rom to boot before the hard drives. BTW if this is a Windows
also system, you may want to ensure that it is never booted with media
in the optical drives, unless you intend it that way, should you choose
to not boot from the HD first. There are still some nasties that find
their way onto commercial media, as well as home brew disks

Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:01 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>> steve wrote:

>>> installed.
>>> partition and
>>> did not
>>> booting just fine!
>>> just

>>> its got nothing to do with "anti linux" detection. theres no such
>>> thing. im 100% sure its got more to do with one of these 3, the cdrom
>>> driver, bios boot settings, or the type of cd you used.
>> I did play with all BIOS settings. An none did work. The Ubuntu live CD was
>> always booting OK! Then I took out the HD and the Windoz XP install CD did boot!
>> Really strange.
>
> Check the boot order preference settings in the bios, you want the
> dvd/cd-rom to boot before the hard drives. BTW if this is a Windows
> also system, you may want to ensure that it is never booted with media
> in the optical drives, unless you intend it that way, should you choose
> to not boot from the HD first. There are still some nasties that find
> their way onto commercial media, as well as home brew disks

Thanks for this hints, but I am pretty sure I know what I am doing! It is (was)
a Linux only Laptop. The HD I intended to install Windoz has my home partition
on it, so I want to keep this partition.

Anyway, I just asked if somebody did have the same experience like I had.

Now, there is a new a HD in my Laptop and I could install this thing witch
starts with W.....

Hopefully, When everything goes like I except, there will be some new webcams
working in Linux soon.

Thomas

PS: I just need this f.. Windoz staff to re-engineer the W driver!

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-09-2008, 07:30 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have a test Laptop, currently Ubuntu 7.10 and fedora as double boot installed.
> Because of webcam driver development I decided to trash the first partition and
> install Windoz on it. But this was not possible, the Windoz install CD did not
> boot on this laptop :-(. I tried the CD on a other PC and it was booting just fine!
> Today, I bought a new HD for that laptop and now the Windoz install CD just
> booted fine!? and I could install Windoz!

First ensure that your BIOS was properly configured. If so, then file
a bug with Microsoft.

> Does the Windoz XP Pro install CD have some "anti" Linux detection?

If it didn't boot, it doesn't know that Linux was installed on the machine.

> Anyone out there had the same experience?

Not with original install media. In the distant past when I was
willing to help people install Windows from illegal copies, this was
not unusual.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Dotan Cohen wrote:

[...]

×?-ב-×’-ד-×”-ו-×–-×—-ט-×™-ך-×›-ל-×?-מ-ן-× -ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Hi Dotan

The strange thing here, as soon as I disconnect the HD this W.. Install CD did
boot. And now, I just installed a brand new HD, the W... installations just
works fine?!

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 18:38:14 +0100
Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:

> Does the Windoz XP Pro install CD have some "anti" Linux detection?

not that i've ever heard of, but my exposure is limited. I highly
doubt it, as it would be a lot of work to figure out that linux was
there before booting the windoze system.

> Anyone out there had the same experience?

nope, never heard of it in my circle of techs (which includes a few
professional windows techs, poor souls)

Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Hi Dotan
>
> The strange thing here, as soon as I disconnect the HD this W.. Install CD did
> boot. And now, I just installed a brand new HD, the W... installations just
> works fine?!

And when you reconnect? Also, how is the drive jumpered? Is it on a
single connection IDE cable, and if not what else is on the cable?
Which connector on the cable is it?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Thomas Kaiser

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 09/02/2008, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
>> Hi Dotan
>>
>> The strange thing here, as soon as I disconnect the HD this W.. Install CD did
>> boot. And now, I just installed a brand new HD, the W... installations just
>> works fine?!
>
> And when you reconnect? Also, how is the drive jumpered? Is it on a
> single connection IDE cable, and if not what else is on the cable?
> Which connector on the cable is it?

It's a Laptop, so there is only one slot where I can put in the HD. Usually on a
Laptop HD is no jumper.
I pulled the HD until the Windoz Install CD did boot and put it back just after
that. IDE is not hot plug. So, the BIOS did not recognize the HD :-(
Later, I will backup the data (image) and format that HD and then we see what
happens. But I am pretty sure that then the Windoz Live CD will boot, because
then it is the same situation as I have now. A new, empty HD!

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li