Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
elmo

Default using dd for cloning

I have just about given up with using various cloning programs in ubuntu
and have just tried using the ' dd'
command to copy partition to partition

My UBUNTU is on partition sda2 and I'd like to clone it to sdc1 , a ext3
formatted partition on an external hard drive.

I tried running: dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512

I couldn't see any action except a constantly blinking mark. I waited
for a minute or so and there was no change, just a blinking mark. I
wasn't sure if this indicated that data was being transferred or not.

Can someone get me on the right track with the ' dd ' command?

elmo

Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:38:18 -0500
elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

> I have just about given up with using various cloning programs in ubuntu
> and have just tried using the ' dd'
> command to copy partition to partition
>
> My UBUNTU is on partition sda2 and I'd like to clone it to sdc1 , a ext3
> formatted partition on an external hard drive.
>
> I tried running: dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512
>
> I couldn't see any action except a constantly blinking mark. I waited
> for a minute or so and there was no change, just a blinking mark. I
> wasn't sure if this indicated that data was being transferred or not.

I can't help you much about using dd for cloning partitions, as I am
not even sure it's wise trying to do it (I would just use a regular
copy command, like "cp", or simply do it in Gnome using the file
manager, for example). However I use dd for other things
(creating ISO files from CDs or DVDs mostly), and I also get nothing
but a blinking cursor while it's copying data. Hard drives are very
slow, so it will probably take many minutes to clone your partitions, so
chances are that dd was working as normal, and that you interrupted it
before it could finish copying the data.

HTH

--
Vince

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Thilo Six

elmo wrote the following on 09.02.2008 16:38

</snip>

> Can someone get me on the right track with the ' dd ' command?
>
> elmo

<-------------- man dd -------------------

Sending a USR1 signal to a running `dd' process makes it print I/O
statistics to standard error and then resume copying.

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!
$ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid

18335302+0 records in 18335302+0 records out 9387674624 bytes
(9.4 GB) copied, 34.6279 seconds, 271 MB/s

--------------------------------------------->

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
"Gilles Gravier"

That's the correct syntax.

You can change bs to something bigger... bs=1024k for example.

Note, it's not guarantied to work if the disks don't have identical geometry. I would do that with similar disks.

It will take time, and NOT TELL YOU about its progress... so wait for it to finish. You should see the disk LEDs blinking.

Another option is to tar cf - /YourFirst Disk tar xvf - /YourSecondDisk

The v in the second command will list files as they are processed.

Gilles.

I have just about given up with using various cloning programs in ubuntu
and have just tried using the ' dd'
command to copy partition to partition

My UBUNTU is on partition sda2 and I'd like to clone it to sdc1 , a ext3

formatted partition on an external hard drive.

I tried**running:****dd if=/dev/sda2**of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512

I couldn't see any action except a constantly blinking mark.**I waited
for a minute or so and there was no change, just a blinking mark. I

wasn't sure if this indicated that data was being transferred or not.

Can someone get me on the right track with the ' dd ' command?

elmo

Gilles Gravier - Gilles@Gravier.org

Using Google Apps web mail

Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
steve

Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Karl Larsen

elmo wrote:
> I have just about given up with using various cloning programs in ubuntu
> and have just tried using the ' dd'
> command to copy partition to partition
>
> My UBUNTU is on partition sda2 and I'd like to clone it to sdc1 , a ext3
> formatted partition on an external hard drive.

Well you don't need to format sdc1 since dd brings over everything
including the format :-)

> I tried running: dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512
>
> I couldn't see any action except a constantly blinking mark.
It sounds like either /dev/sda2 or /dev/sdc1 or both do not exist.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
elmo

Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Dan Farrell

elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

> I have just about given up with using various cloning programs in
> ubuntu and have just tried using the ' dd'
> command to copy partition to partition

1) don't do this on a busy partition. I recommend going into runlevel
1, if ubunto supplies such a thing, or else turning off X and ALL your
services.

2) refer to my http://spore.ath.cx/~dan/doc/xpmove.html The document
discusses moving XP, but the same method applies to linux
(after writing the document I've used the method sucessfully
for both, just not cross-bus for windows (won't boot). note
that the disks must have the same cylinder size.

> My UBUNTU is on partition sda2 and I'd like to clone it to sdc1 , a
> ext3 formatted partition on an external hard drive.
>
> I tried running: dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512

hm, looks ok to me. but ymmv. bs defaults to 512, in my recollection.
you'd probably do better to set the default block size of the d

> I couldn't see any action except a constantly blinking mark. I
> waited for a minute or so and there was no change, just a blinking
> mark. I wasn't sure if this indicated that data was being transferred
> or not.

did you catch what this was showing you?

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!
$ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid

it sends a USR1 signal to dd to tell dd to output progress.