Old 02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Karl Larsen

Default localhost

In Red Hat there is a special Internet system based on the 10.0.0.0
ip numbers and it was defined in /etc/host.conf as I recall. I can get
the details from a Fedora 7 on my laptop if needed.

I tried to apt-get install squid and it could not find the
localhost. Where does Ubuntu put localhost?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-09-2008, 02:52 PM
steve

Old 02-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Chris Jones

Karl Larsen wrote:
> In Red Hat there is a special Internet system based on the 10.0.0.0
> ip numbers and it was defined in /etc/host.conf as I recall.

Not sure where you got that IP from. localhost is normally the loop-back
address 127.0.0.1 (with IPv4 at least).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

> I tried to apt-get install squid and it could not find the
> localhost. Where does Ubuntu put localhost?

localhost is fine here.

chris ~ > ping localhost
PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.044 ms
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.039 ms

etc.

What exactly is your problem ? Post the actually errors you get.

Chris

Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> In Red Hat there is a special Internet system based on the 10.0.0.0
> ip numbers and it was defined in /etc/host.conf as I recall. I can get
> the details from a Fedora 7 on my laptop if needed.
>
> I tried to apt-get install squid and it could not find the
> localhost. Where does Ubuntu put localhost?

Read this:
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/127.0.0.1.html

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Thilo Six

Karl Larsen wrote the following on 09.02.2008 16:33

> In Red Hat ... /etc/host.conf
</snip>
> Where does Ubuntu put localhost?

/etc/hosts

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> In Red Hat there is a special Internet system based on the 10.0.0.0
> ip numbers and it was defined in /etc/host.conf as I recall.

There's nothing "special" about that.

That is a "private subnet". Typically private subnets are on 192.168.x.x
(for no better reason than that's the way most routers are configured).
All 10.x.x.x addresses are also private. Network routers aren't supposed
to pass private IP addresses to the Internet, which means that I can use
10.0.0.1 on my personal machine, and so can you, and we don't interfere
with each other.

> I tried to apt-get install squid and it could not find the
> localhost. Where does Ubuntu put localhost?

This is completely unrelated. By convention, localhost is always 127.0.0.1
(though the subnet mask is 255.0.0.0, which means that 127.x.x.x always
maps to localhost), and the linux interface name is "lo" (see "ifconfig
lo")
--
derek

Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Emil Payne

Figured I hijack this thread =P

Using Koala on an old Dell desktop. Have an XP box and a Linux box
connected to router and then connected to cable modem. Able to access
internet fine from both machines. No firewalls nor proxies on system.
Just using router and modem firewalls.

What info (command outputs) do I need to send the list for more help?

I'm totally unable to connect to localhost. I've installed swat
(localhost:901) and webmin (localhost:10000) and xammp (localhost) but I
keep getting the generic 404 page:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

What am I doing wrong?

Emil

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Andrew Kane

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Emil Payne <EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:

> Figured I hijack this thread =P
>
> Using Koala on an old Dell desktop. *Have an XP box and a Linux box
> connected to router and then connected to cable modem. *Able to access
> internet fine from both machines. *No firewalls nor proxies on system.
> Just using router and modem firewalls.
>
> What info (command outputs) do I need to send the list for more help?
>
> I'm totally unable to connect to localhost. *I've installed swat
> (localhost:901) and webmin (localhost:10000) and xammp (localhost) but I
> keep getting the generic 404 page:
>
> Unable to connect
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
>
> * ** * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
> in a few moments.
>
> * ** * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
> network connection.
>
> * ** * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
> make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Emil

It sounds as if your webserver (apache2 most likely) is not
running or not configured properly.

What procedure did you use in installing XAMPP?

What happens if you do "apache2ctl start" from a terminal?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Rashkae

Emil Payne wrote:
> Figured I hijack this thread =P
>
> Using Koala on an old Dell desktop. Have an XP box and a Linux box
> connected to router and then connected to cable modem. Able to access
> internet fine from both machines. No firewalls nor proxies on system.
> Just using router and modem firewalls.
>
> What info (command outputs) do I need to send the list for more help?
>
> I'm totally unable to connect to localhost. I've installed swat
> (localhost:901) and webmin (localhost:10000) and xammp (localhost) but I
> keep getting the generic 404 page:
>
> Unable to connect
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
>
> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
> in a few moments.
>
> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
> network connection.
>
> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
> make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Check output of ifconfig, make certain that device lo is present. It
should look something like this:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB)

Then check your /etc/hosts file, it needs to have an alias for localhost
that points to IP address 127.0.0.1

Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Emil Payne

Center posting! =P

Andrew Kane wrote:

> It sounds as if your webserver (apache2 most likely) is not
> running or not configured properly.
>
> What procedure did you use in installing XAMPP?

Installation in 4 Steps

* Step 1: Download

XAMPP Linux 1.7.3

* Step 2: Installation

After downloading simply type in the following commands:

1. Go to a Linux shell and login as the system administrator root:

su

2. Extract the downloaded archive file to /opt:

tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.3.tar.gz -C /opt

That's all. XAMPP is now installed below the /opt/lampp directory.

* Step 3: Start

To start XAMPP simply call this command:

/opt/lampp/lampp start

You should now see something like this on your screen:

Starting XAMPP 1.7.3...
LAMPP: Starting Apache...
LAMPP: Starting MySQL...
LAMPP started.

Ready. Apache and MySQL are running.

* Step 4: Test

OK, that was easy but how can you check that everything really works?
Just type in the following URL at your favourite web browser:

http://localhost

Now you should see the start page of XAMPP containing some links to
check the status of the installed software and some small programming
examples.

Now I do NOT get the start page, just a 404 error.

> What happens if you do "apache2ctl start" from a terminal?

root@Dell-Ubuntu:/home/emil# apache2ctl start
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
root@Dell-Ubuntu:/home/emil#

Ok, loading 127.0.1.1 into the address bar gets me to a page showing
"Index of /" with nothing else showing. So I assume that is my apache
root. Btw - http://127.0.1.1 gives me the 404 warning. As does
127.0.1.1.:10000. 127.0.1.1:901 pops up the name/password prompt for
swat. Anyone know what the default is?

So, do I need to add or change localhost from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.1.1?
(see below)

ubuntu@tigershaunt.com wrote:

>Check output of ifconfig, make certain that device lo is present. It
>should look something like this:
>
>lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:1226425 (1.1 MB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0b:db:10:13:ca
inet addr:192.168.2.2 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20b:dbff:fe10:13ca/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:223584668 (223.5 MB) TX bytes:13656768 (13.6 MB)
Interrupt:17

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

--

RX bytes:1101995 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:1101995 (1.1 MB)

>Then check your /etc/hosts file, it needs to have an alias for >localhost
>that points to IP address 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 Dell-Mint
127.0.1.1 Dell-Ubuntu

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Now, since my /etc/hostname is set for Dell-Ubuntu that might be the
problem. I'll edit it such:

127.0.0.1 Dell-Ubuntu

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

and restart and see what happens...

BTW - I know about hostname. What can anyone tell me about domainname
on my local box? Do I need one? What are the advantages and
disadvantages of one? How do I tell if I have one? How do I change or
delete it?

Modem = 192.168.1.1
router= 192.168.2.1
Linux box =192.168.2.2
XP Box = 192.168.2.4
old 3rd machine NAS server (no longer physically present) = 192.168.2.3

Thanks again

Emil