Old 02-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Tony Hogan

Default Ubuntu Installation - Please Help - Black screen

Package: installation-reports

Boot method: From CD
Image version: feb 8th - ubuntu website
Date: feb 8th 2008

Machine: HP Pavillion dv6000 (6449)
Processor: AMD Turion 64x2 TL-56
Memory: 2GB
Partitions: C: 120GB Vista, 30 GB Linux,* 7 GB HP recovery

Output of lspci and lspci -n:

Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Initial boot worked:*** [OK]
Configure network HW:** [OK]
Config network:******** [OK]
Detect CD:************* [OK]
Load installer modules: [OK]
Detect hard drives:**** [E]
Partition hard drives:* [ ]
Create file systems:*** [ ]
Mount partitions:****** [ ]
Install base system:*** [ ]
Install boot
loader:*** [ ]

Comments/Problems:

I got the CD to boot correctly. After choosing Install Ubuntu (the first option), the installer shows a progress bar. After the progress bar, the screen displayes test after test ( with [OK] after each - except what looks like network detection stuff that gives me a 'directory' not found error).
After the list of tests/checks is finished, the screen turns black and sits idle. I have left it for about 25 minutes now and still nothing.

Any* ideas? Hope you can help. I am using the full ISO of ubuntu i downloaded last night which i burned to a CD.

Thanks in advance for the help

Anthony Hogan

<Description of the install, in prose, and any thoughts, comments
***** and ideas you had during the initial install.>--