Old 02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Erasing files in Ubuntu: other devices still see the files

I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
machine, and all I could see were the video files.

What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
gone?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Thomas Cuthbert

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
> it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
> four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
> USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
> then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
> machine, and all I could see were the video files.
>
> What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
> computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
> can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
> gone?
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Before you remove your flashdrive, empty the trashbin.
Hope this helps,
Tom Cuthbert.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:17 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Thomas Cuthbert <tabenx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before you remove your flashdrive, empty the trashbin.
> Hope this helps,
> Tom Cuthbert.

I should have mentioned that I deleted (not moved to trash) the files,
and also performed sync in the console before unmounting the media and
removing the drive.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 17:17 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 09/02/2008, Thomas Cuthbert <tabenx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Before you remove your flashdrive, empty the trashbin.
> > Hope this helps,
> > Tom Cuthbert.
>
> I should have mentioned that I deleted (not moved to trash) the files,
> and also performed sync in the console before unmounting the media and
> removing the drive.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
<א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I ran into this once, and I think it was the hidden backup files being
read. Just something else to check.

good luck,
--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> > > Before you remove your flashdrive, empty the trashbin.
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Tom Cuthbert.
> >
> > I should have mentioned that I deleted (not moved to trash) the files,
> > and also performed sync in the console before unmounting the media and
> > removing the drive.
> I ran into this once, and I think it was the hidden backup files being
> read. Just something else to check.

Hidden backup files? That sounds like it would take an awfully large
amount of storage. Quite a waste. How are those hidden backup files to
be deleted? There are no .files on the disk.

Also, assuming that I did in fact Move To Trash instead of Delete, how
can I now erase those files? They do not show up on Ubuntu, and
emptying the trash does not help.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Thomas Cuthbert

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> > I should have mentioned that I deleted (not moved to trash) the files,
>> > and also performed sync in the console before unmounting the media and
>> > removing the drive.
>> I ran into this once, and I think it was the hidden backup files being
>> read. Just something else to check.
>>

> Hidden backup files? That sounds like it would take an awfully large
> amount of storage. Quite a waste. How are those hidden backup files to
> be deleted? There are no .files on the disk.
>
> Also, assuming that I did in fact Move To Trash instead of Delete, how
> can I now erase those files? They do not show up on Ubuntu, and
> emptying the trash does not help.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

On the screen of your device go to File and click empty trash. Also,
make sure your using the "unmount device" feature and wait until it's done.
Hope this helps.
Tom Cuthbert

Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, Thomas Cuthbert <tabenx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the screen of your device go to File and click empty trash. Also,
> make sure your using the "unmount device" feature and wait until it's done.

I'm sorry, Sandisk Cruzers have neither a screen nor trash function.

And before removing the device from the desktop, I always run unmount
device and then sync in the terminal just to be safe.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
debiani386

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
> it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
> four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
> USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
> then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
> machine, and all I could see were the video files.
>
> What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
> computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
> can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
> gone?
because, if you just do a regular delete (ex, right click then delete,
move it to the trash can, or press the delete key on your keyboard),
ubuntu will create a .Trash file which is used to recover any deleted
files.

If you press Shift + Delete, it will bypass the trash can and will not
create a .Trash folder. I recommend you do the Shift + Delete action
only if you know that you will never use the file again.

Also, other ubuntu computers, by default, hide any files/folders with a
"." as their first character. thats probably why ubuntu, by default,
doesnt show the .Trash folder like other machines do
--cj

Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 09/02/2008, debiani386 <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
> > it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
> > four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
> > USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
> > then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
> > machine, and all I could see were the video files.
> >
> > What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
> > computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
> > can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
> > gone?
>
> because, if you just do a regular delete (ex, right click then delete,
> move it to the trash can, or press the delete key on your keyboard),
> ubuntu will create a .Trash file which is used to recover any deleted
> files.

I pressed shift-delete. I did not move the files to the trash. Nor are
there any .files on the drive, so there is no .Trash file on the
drive. At least, not that I can see in Konqueror or Konsole (-a
option).

> If you press Shift + Delete, it will bypass the trash can and will not
> create a .Trash folder. I recommend you do the Shift + Delete action
> only if you know that you will never use the file again.

That is what I always do when removing files from removable media.

> Also, other ubuntu computers, by default, hide any files/folders with a
> "." as their first character. thats probably why ubuntu, by default,
> doesnt show the .Trash folder like other machines do
> --cj

I do not see a .Trash file in either Ubuntu machine (even when looking
at .files or hidden files) nor on the DVD player (with USB input).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Thomas Cuthbert

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 09/02/2008, debiani386 <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
>> > it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
>> > four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
>> > USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
>> > then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
>> > machine, and all I could see were the video files.
>> >
>> > What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
>> > computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
>> > can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
>> > gone?
>>
>> because, if you just do a regular delete (ex, right click then delete,
>> move it to the trash can, or press the delete key on your keyboard),
>> ubuntu will create a .Trash file which is used to recover any deleted
>> files.
>>

> I pressed shift-delete. I did not move the files to the trash. Nor are
> there any .files on the drive, so there is no .Trash file on the
> drive. At least, not that I can see in Konqueror or Konsole (-a
> option).
>

>> If you press Shift + Delete, it will bypass the trash can and will not
>> create a .Trash folder. I recommend you do the Shift + Delete action
>> only if you know that you will never use the file again.
>>

> That is what I always do when removing files from removable media.
>

>> Also, other ubuntu computers, by default, hide any files/folders with a
>> "." as their first character. thats probably why ubuntu, by default,
>> doesnt show the .Trash folder like other machines do
>> --cj
>>

> I do not see a .Trash file in either Ubuntu machine (even when looking
> at .files or hidden files) nor on the DVD player (with USB input).
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I'm sorry i should have been more clear. I don't mean a physical screen
on your device i mean when you double click your device and it opens in
a nautilus window. On that window go to file and click empty trash and
tell me how that works.
Hope this helps.
Tom Cuthbert.