-   -   Heads up on skipping sound during DVD playback (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/505672-heads-up-skipping-sound-during-dvd-playback.html)

Ric Moore 03-25-2011 07:35 PM

Heads up on skipping sound during DVD playback

This worked!!!

Workaround (for my case) is found on Bug #292142

(1) Create new file => sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options
(2) Add this => options pata_ali atapi_dma=1
(3) Edit this => sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
(4) Add this => pata_ali atapi_dma=1
(5) Run this => sudo update-initramfs -u
(6) Reboot system.

* System is fast again!
* Burning DVDs never uses more than 28% CPU load.
* Burning speed is now 3.90x (Media is limited to 4.0x)

The above is applicable to Ubuntu 10.04.x LTS.

This cured the problem of not being able to select dma for IDE DVD
players/burners for me. Thanks for the workaround that was posted by
Sing-Tai Mok. I'm running 10.4, but it might apply to higher versions as
well. It was driving me nuts, and was especially noticeable using a USB
headset. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256