Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default automatic update want to remove packages

I have a problem with update.
I wanted to install libreoffice from the repositories but synaptic
wanted to remove my openoffice installation before it installed
libreoffice and I wanted to have both in parallel.
So I installed it directly from the site and that went without any
problem.
Update showed then 2 problems.The first - not related to libreoffice -
is that it could only do a partial update because there were problems,
not specified, causing some updates not to be installed.
The second, however, is worse because it would remove all openoffice
packages and some more for no apparent reason.

Is Ubuntu now determining which packages I have on my system?
Libreoffice runs apparently without a problem and openoffice also (I
haven't yet tried both together as that is maybe asking for trouble).

Anybody know how to prevent this behaviour of update and synaptic?
Joep

Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
NoOp

On 03/25/2011 04:39 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I have a problem with update.
> I wanted to install libreoffice from the repositories but synaptic
> wanted to remove my openoffice installation before it installed
> libreoffice and I wanted to have both in parallel.
> So I installed it directly from the site and that went without any
> problem.
> Update showed then 2 problems.The first - not related to libreoffice -
> is that it could only do a partial update because there were problems,
> not specified, causing some updates not to be installed.
> The second, however, is worse because it would remove all openoffice
> packages and some more for no apparent reason.
> Is Ubuntu now determining which packages I have on my system?
> Libreoffice runs apparently without a problem and openoffice also (I
> haven't yet tried both together as that is maybe asking for trouble).
> Anybody know how to prevent this behaviour of update and synaptic?
> Joep

Did you remove the repository from sources.list? That would be the only
thing that I can think of as I run multiple versions of OOo and LO at
the same time w/o issue:
$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

I wanted to install libreoffice from the repositories but synaptic
wanted to remove my openoffice installation before it installed
libreoffice and I wanted to have both in parallel.

Did you remove the repository from sources.list? That would be the only
thing that I can think of as I run multiple versions of OOo and LO at
the same time w/o issue:
$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc. I didn't remobve
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

Jerry,
Sorry for the delay in reply. My versionrc shows:
$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

So not much different from yours. My sources.list doesn't contain a
libreoffice ppa or openoffice ppa as I assume the latter is contained in
the universe or multiverse lists.
It also won't update the libreoffice packages (although more recent
versions are available) as it want to remove openoffice.
I cannot imagine that Oracle can influence Canonical or that the
developers of libreoffice ask for this.

I cannot imagine why my 10.10 shows this behaviour.
Joep

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
NoOp

On 03/30/2011 12:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Jerry,
> Sorry for the delay in reply. My versionrc shows:
> $ locate versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
> /usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc
>
> So not much different from yours. My sources.list doesn't contain a
> libreoffice ppa or openoffice ppa as I assume the latter is contained in
> the universe or multiverse lists.
> It also won't update the libreoffice packages (although more recent
> versions are available) as it want to remove openoffice.
> I cannot imagine that Oracle can influence Canonical or that the
> developers of libreoffice ask for this.
> I cannot imagine why my 10.10 shows this behaviour.
> Joep

Joep,

No need to cc me unless you are sending only to me - I read/post to the
list. You are of course welcome to email me directly, but turn off the
cc when replying to the list please :-)

Updating from LibreOffice will *not* remove your OOo if you install the
new version in the same manner as the one you have installed already.
Read my response to Avraham in the 'LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice'
thread on how to install. You just download 3.3.2 and install - it will
install just fine over your existing LO in the /opt directory.

Gary

Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
:

> Updating from LibreOffice will *not* remove your OOo if you install the
> new version in the same manner as the one you have installed already.
> Read my response to Avraham in the 'LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice'
> thread on how to install. You just download 3.3.2 and install - it will
> install just fine over your existing LO in the /opt directory.

Or run the "update" script that comes in the base package - it works
just fine as long as you actually have an installation to update.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 31/03/11 00:00, NoOp wrote:

On 03/30/2011 12:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
Joep,

No need to cc me unless you are sending only to me - I read/post to the
list. You are of course welcome to email me directly, but turn off the
cc when replying to the list please :-)

Updating from LibreOffice will *not* remove your OOo if you install the
new version in the same manner as the one you have installed already.
Read my response to Avraham in the 'LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice'
thread on how to install. You just download 3.3.2 and install - it will
install just fine over your existing LO in the /opt directory.

Gary

Sorry ,Jerry,
I assume accidentally pushed the wrong button as I normally never put a
name in the cc-list.
I have installed 3.3.2 but ut is the ubuntu update that want to remove
OO when it want to update.

What happens is the following:
Update comes with the announcement of new updates and shows the updates
and refuses to load the LO updates but updates the non-LO ones.
It then asks to do a partial UPGRADE and then wants to remove all OO
packages and libre-office-debian-menus, nautilus-cd-burner and
python-uno and then it will upgrade uno-libre3 and ure.
Why does it want to remove something which, as far as I know, doesn't
interfere with the packages to update.
Of course I will reinstall LO in the /opt directory but I don't see why
this will pacify update.

MR Zenwiz, see above.

Joep

Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 AM
NoOp

On 03/31/2011 03:56 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 31/03/11 00:00, NoOp wrote:
>> On 03/30/2011 12:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> Joep,
>>
>> No need to cc me unless you are sending only to me - I read/post to the
>> list. You are of course welcome to email me directly, but turn off the
>> cc when replying to the list please :-)
>>
>> Updating from LibreOffice will *not* remove your OOo if you install the
>> new version in the same manner as the one you have installed already.
>> Read my response to Avraham in the 'LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice'
>> thread on how to install. You just download 3.3.2 and install - it will
>> install just fine over your existing LO in the /opt directory.
>>
>> Gary
>
> Sorry ,Jerry,

Gary :-)

> I assume accidentally pushed the wrong button as I normally never put a
> name in the cc-list.
> I have installed 3.3.2 but ut is the ubuntu update that want to remove
> OO when it want to update.
> What happens is the following:
> Update comes with the announcement of new updates and shows the updates
> and refuses to load the LO updates but updates the non-LO ones.
> It then asks to do a partial UPGRADE and then wants to remove all OO
> packages and libre-office-debian-menus, nautilus-cd-burner and
> python-uno and then it will upgrade uno-libre3 and ure.
> Why does it want to remove something which, as far as I know, doesn't
> interfere with the packages to update.
> Of course I will reinstall LO in the /opt directory but I don't see why
> this will pacify update.
> MR Zenwiz, see above.
>
> Joep

My guess at this point is that when you attempted the ppa version your
packages picked up the ppa apt files. You can go through your /var/cache
/var/lib/dpkg files etc to clean/correct. But it might just be easier at
this point to uninstall OOo and reinstall. None of that will affect your
LO /opt files.

If you take the uninstall/reinstall path, be sure to backup your
~/openoffice.org folder *first* in the event you've installed any
special extensions etc. You can just put the folder back *after* you've
run (U)OOo on reinstall.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 31/03/11 00:00, NoOp wrote:

On 03/30/2011 12:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
Joep,

My guess at this point is that when you attempted the ppa version your
packages picked up the ppa apt files. You can go through your /var/cache
/var/lib/dpkg files etc to clean/correct. But it might just be easier at
this point to uninstall OOo and reinstall. None of that will affect your
LO /opt files.

If you take the uninstall/reinstall path, be sure to backup your
~/openoffice.org folder *first* in the event you've installed any
special extensions etc. You can just put the folder back *after* you've
run (U)OOo on reinstall.

Thanks, Gary (sorry!!),
How much I hate to be forced by software to things I don't want I will
be the wisest and follow your route.

Much obliged.
Greetings from a sunny Holland,
Joep