Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
"giovanni_re"

Default Enable debug in Firefox compile

Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of Firefox
in the Ubuntu system include the debugging ability turned on? Ie, if ff
crashes, it comes up with the stack trace, etc, & the notice that this
info can be sent to Mozilla to help find bugs?

I had to switch to the direct dl from Mozilla version, instead of using
the Ubuntu version, for this reason. Their version lacked the useful
(K)Ubuntu customizations (windowing stuff, IIRC). But, it _did_ have
the ability to help track down crashes.

Given all the people trying to crack systems through the browser, it
only seems prudent to ensure the maximum level of safety in Ubuntu
software. This compels the necessity of having debug info available
_always_, for _all users_, so crashes can be diagnosed, & bugs found &
fixed.

Failing to turn on debugging in probably one of the most used Ubuntu
applications (Firefox) just leads to Ubuntu having more bugs & problems.

Thanks.

Where is the proper list to send this message to, in order to get the
debugging turned on in the Firefox new version (4) for Ubuntu users?

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
"giovanni_re"

Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of Firefox
in the KUbuntu system include the debugging ability turned on? Ie, if
[...]

debugging turned on in the Firefox new version (4) for KUbuntu users?

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 AM
NoOp

On 03/23/2011 04:37 PM, giovanni_re wrote:
> Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of Firefox
> in the Ubuntu system include the debugging ability turned on? Ie, if ff
> crashes, it comes up with the stack trace, etc, & the notice that this
> info can be sent to Mozilla to help find bugs?

File a bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox

Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Nils Kassube

giovanni_re wrote:
> Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of
> Firefox in the KUbuntu system include the debugging ability turned
> on? Ie, if ff crashes, it comes up with the stack trace, etc, & the
> notice that this info can be sent to Mozilla to help find bugs?
>
> I had to switch to the direct dl from Mozilla version, instead of
> using the Ubuntu version, for this reason. Their version lacked the
> useful (K)Ubuntu customizations (windowing stuff, IIRC). But, it
> _did_ have the ability to help track down crashes.

Isn't it sufficient to install the package "firefox-dbg"?

> Where is the proper list to send this message to, in order to get the
> debugging turned on in the Firefox new version (4) for KUbuntu users?

IMHO this list is OK. After all it looks like a support question to me.
However if there actually is a feature missing in the (K)Ubuntu version
of FF, you should file a bug at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>.

Nils

Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
"Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari"

Il 03/24/2011 12:37 AM, giovanni_re ha scritto:
> Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of Firefox
> in the Ubuntu system include the debugging ability turned on? Ie, if ff
> crashes, it comes up with the stack trace, etc, & the notice that this
> info can be sent to Mozilla to help find bugs?
>
> I had to switch to the direct dl from Mozilla version, instead of using
> the Ubuntu version, for this reason. Their version lacked the useful
> (K)Ubuntu customizations (windowing stuff, IIRC). But, it _did_ have
> the ability to help track down crashes.
Hi,
maybe there is a reason I can't see but... did you try to install
firefox-dbg? One of the reason why I like so much debian-based distros
is that they have a lot of packages for each software, each one adapted
to one or another person needs. If you need debuging, and you know how
to read the information a debuger returns to you, you can use the -dbg
package, if you do not wont to be bothered with the even light overhead
due to debuging you install normal version.
> Given all the people trying to crack systems through the browser, it
> only seems prudent to ensure the maximum level of safety in Ubuntu
> software. This compels the necessity of having debug info available
> _always_, for _all users_, so crashes can be diagnosed, & bugs found &
> fixed.
IIRC is almost standard practice, when someone signals a bug others are
not able to reproduce to ask him/her to install the debug enable version
of the culprit package and attach to his/her report things like stack
backtrace and the like...
> Failing to turn on debugging in probably one of the most used Ubuntu
> applications (Firefox) just leads to Ubuntu having more bugs & problems.
>
> Thanks.
I truly fail to understand how this could happen...

--
Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas

Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
ray burke

Nils,

how do you turn the debug on in firefox 3.6.15?

ray

Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> Nils,
> how do you turn the debug on in firefox 3.6.15?

Sorry, I don't use FF frequently and I'm not familiar with debugging in
FF. Hopefully giovanni_re can answer that question because he seems to
use that option. Anyway, I would expect that you would first of all
install the package "firefox-dbg" from the repository. Maybe that is
already enough or perhaps you would have to enable it with some config
option but I couldn't find one and I don't know a page that crashes FF
to test it.

Nils

Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
ray burke

Nils and Giovanni

I am trying to install the firefox_dbg at the moment, but as I using
dialup it is taking forever?

ray

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> I am trying to install the firefox_dbg at the moment, but as I using
> dialup it is taking forever?

Yes, like all -dbg packages it is huge: 175MB.

Nils

Old 03-26-2011, 03:39 AM
ray burke

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> ray burke wrote:
>> I am trying to install the firefox_dbg at the moment, but as I using
>> dialup it is taking forever?
>
> Yes, like all -dbg packages it is huge: 175MB.
>

> Nils

Nils,

I have finally installed it, whet now?

ray