Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Knoppix Live CD?

Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Gilles Gravier

This is not the right forum, but here you go: http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Gilles.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
NoOp

On 02/08/2008 08:48 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
> many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

You mean knoppix?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=knoppix&btnG=Search
http://www.knoppix.org/
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Well worth having in your CD collection! Just remember that Knoppix is
not intended to be installed as a regular OS - it is possible, but not
recommended.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 02/08/2008 08:48 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
> > many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> You mean knoppix?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=knoppix&btnG=Search
> http://www.knoppix.org/
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
>
> Well worth having in your CD collection! Just
> remember that Knoppix is
> not intended to be installed as a regular OS - it is
> possible, but not
> recommended.

Yeah, got all them goolging but no iso I found just
bittorrent, rsync, stuff I don't know how to use. Is
there an iso for it or what method is used to generate
the disk? I have roxio and can just copy it if
needed. I had planned to use it as a boot and
troubleshooting disc as the list has recommended so
often. Sny suggestions welcomed. Thanks, my lack of
experience is showing,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Thanks, I've visited the site, but the real question I
need answeeree is where do you get the iso file as
I've gone through all the knoppis googling results.
Perhaps your saying ask them? Maybe I will. Thanks,

--- Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

> This is not the right forum, but here you go:
> http://www.knoppix.net/get.php
>
> Gilles.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
> > many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
jerry

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Thanks, I've visited the site, but the real question I
> need answeeree is where do you get the iso file as
> I've gone through all the knoppis googling results.
> Perhaps your saying ask them? Maybe I will. Thanks,
>

> --- Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:
>

>> This is not the right forum, but here you go:
>> http://www.knoppix.net/get.php
>>
>> Gilles.
>>
>> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>
>>> Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
>>> many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.
>>>
>>> Leonard Chatagnier
>>> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>>>

>> --
>

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

How about:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

hth

jerry

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
NoOp

On 02/08/2008 09:34 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2008 08:48 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> > Where can I download an iso file for Knoppix.Found
>> > many urls googling but no iso file. Tthanks.
>> >
>> > Leonard Chatagnier
>> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>> >

>> You mean knoppix?
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=knoppix&btnG=Search
>> http://www.knoppix.org/
>>
>> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
>>
>> Well worth having in your CD collection! Just
>> remember that Knoppix is
>> not intended to be installed as a regular OS - it is
>> possible, but not
>> recommended.
>>
> Yeah, got all them goolging but no iso I found just
> bittorrent, rsync, stuff I don't know how to use. Is
> there an iso for it or what method is used to generate
> the disk? I have roxio and can just copy it if
> needed. I had planned to use it as a boot and
> troubleshooting disc as the list has recommended so
> often. Sny suggestions welcomed. Thanks, my lack of
> experience is showing,

On the mirror link click on ftp or http from a mirror close to you. It
will bring up and agreement page and then after you accept it will send
you to the mirror where you can download the iso.

Example:
ftp.kernel.org [rsync] [ftp] [http] Kernel.Org (California, USA)*)
click on ftp. You'll end up at:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/
you want:
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso 713064 KB 01/04/2007 12:00:00 AM

Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- jerry <jerryturba@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > --- Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

> Knoppix.Found
> >
> How about:
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
>
> hth
>
> jerry
> Yeah, been there and found the latest iso version
and clicked on it yielding:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location:
chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
Line Number 1, Column 10:ndlerProp"));

Seems I've never could figure how to use these sites.
I'm using a brand new amdx2 64 6000+ and some of the
links just wont load for me. I've bookmarked the site
so I can go back later and try again. Kernel.org Cal.
has been trying to load since the replies started
coming in and still hasn't loaded. tried St. Ed's U.
in Austin, Tx and also wouldn't work. Maybe it's the
net or maybe my DSL connection but everything else
seems to work. Appreciate everybody help,Thanks,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Thanks, that helps as I was clicking or the name link
to the far right which just gave me what teh mirror
content is. I believe I can hack it now, much
obliged.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
NoOp

On 02/08/2008 10:46 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- jerry <jerryturba@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Knoppix.Found
>> >
>> How about:
>> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
>>
>> hth
>>
>> jerry
>> Yeah, been there and found the latest iso version
> and clicked on it yielding:
>
> XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
> Location:
> chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
> Line Number 1, Column 10:ndlerProp"));
>
> Seems I've never could figure how to use these sites.
> I'm using a brand new amdx2 64 6000+ and some of the
> links just wont load for me. I've bookmarked the site
> so I can go back later and try again. Kernel.org Cal.
> has been trying to load since the replies started
> coming in and still hasn't loaded. tried St. Ed's U.
> in Austin, Tx and also wouldn't work. Maybe it's the
> net or maybe my DSL connection but everything else
> seems to work. Appreciate everybody help,Thanks,
>

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Do this:

Go to:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix
right-click on:
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
select "Save Link As" and save.

If want to download large files (like the DVD), then I'd suggest using
Gwget:

sudo apt-get install gwget

Right-click the same link and select "Copy Link Location"
Open Gwget (Applications|Internet|Gwget Download Manger), click "New"
and paste in the url
(ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso)
That will start the download to where you selected the Save in to be.
You can then pause the download, stop & resume the download, limit the
speed etc. Limiting the speed is nice... for instance, I don't want a
download to suck up all of my bandwidth, so I limit it to 100kB/sec
(Edit|Preferences). That leaves me enough bandwidth during the download
to do general browsing etc.