Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Zach

Default must rmmod nvidia & modprobe nvidia to start X

Hi,

I have a problem where X won't start at boot. If I log into a
terminal, and rmmod nvidia && modprobe nvidia, then X will run fine.
As a hack, i have this added to the gdm init script. This is working,
but I'd like to solve the problem.

I have run across people on IRC as well as on forums who have this
similar problem, but I haven't seen any hint as to its cause or how to
actually fix it.

I am using the nvidia restricted drivers and Ubuntu 7.10.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Zach

Just bumping this message. Does anyone have any advice about this or
even how to begin troubleshooting it?

Thanks
Zach

Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Zach wrote:
> Just bumping this message. Does anyone have any advice about this or
> even how to begin troubleshooting it?

What is the exact model of your nvidia card?

Do you see in the logs (or PCI probes) what the computer is identifying
the card as, using a device ID?

Also, is there anything in the logfiles for X being posted into it?
Probably your Xorg log in /var/log.

The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be to check
in your modules directory to see if there's a couple nvidia modules in
there, and the modprobe is launching the "correct one" while the initial
load is pulling an "incorrect" one.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:52:54 -0500
Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be to
> check in your modules directory to see if there's a couple nvidia
> modules in there, and the modprobe is launching the "correct one"
> while the initial load is pulling an "incorrect" one.

impossible, I think. they'd have to have the same name. If I were you
I'd look for an upgraded module.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:52:54 -0500
> Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>
>> The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be to
>> check in your modules directory to see if there's a couple nvidia
>> modules in there, and the modprobe is launching the "correct one"
>> while the initial load is pulling an "incorrect" one.
>
> impossible, I think. they'd have to have the same name. If I were you
> I'd look for an upgraded module.

Sorry...just a hypothesis. I didn't know the boot process well enough
to know why this would happen.

I mean, why would the correct module load at startup, but not function
until you removed it and stuck it back in unless there is another driver
for the same card somewhere that isn't loading properly the first time
because something else has dibs, or there is something interfering with
the order in which it's being loaded?

Maybe there's something in the logs that would give a hint where to look.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:26:51 -0500
Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> I mean, why would the correct module load at startup, but not
> function until you removed it and stuck it back in unless there is
> another driver for the same card somewhere that isn't loading
> properly the first time because something else has dibs, or there is
> something interfering with the order in which it's being loaded?

it's a good hypothesis, it's just not going to be nvidia.ko -- there
could be some other module!

> Maybe there's something in the logs that would give a hint where to
> look.

that is a good idea.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:26:51 -0500
Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> I mean, why would the correct module load at startup, but not
> function until you removed it and stuck it back

is it certainly loading on startup? (Perhaps the use of an lsmod before
the rmmod might be useful to find out).

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Zach

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Yes it is getting loaded at startup, as confirmed by lsmod. In fact,
the nvidia module was already loaded, it was only after a couple of
hours of troubleshooting that I discovered rmmoding it and reloading
it would make a difference.

I was getting this in syslog:
Feb 7 21:44:09 kessel kernel: [ 32.020185] NVRM: loading NVIDIA
Linux x86 Kernel Module 1.0-7185 Mon Apr 2 18:29:54 PDT 2007
Feb 7 21:44:12 kessel kernel: [ 40.886353] NVRM: RM/client version mismatch!!
Feb 7 21:44:12 kessel kernel: [ 40.886362] NVRM: aborting to
avoid catastrophe!

And I was getting this in Xorg.0.log:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

As I mentioned, lsmod did confirm that the nvidia kernel module was
loaded, and removing and reinserting it allows X to work.

I have tried all combinations of removing, purging, reinstalling,
nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-new, linux-restricted-modules. I have used the
restricted drivers manager, and I have done it manually (installing
the packages using apt).

Some background: This happened when I swapped out my old (Ti 4200)
Nvidia card for a slightly less old (FX 5200) card. Before swapping
the hardware, I disabled the proprietary driver using the restricted
drivers manager (causing 'nv' to be re-enabled). Then after swapping
out the hardware, I re-ran the restricted drivers manager, which
detected my 5-series card and appropriately install nvidia-glx-new.
Then badness ensued.

Thanks in advance.

Zach

Old 02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Sven Richter

Hi Zach,

On Friday 08 February 2008 17:34:40 Zach wrote:
> I have a problem where X won't start at boot. If I log into a
> terminal, and rmmod nvidia && modprobe nvidia, then X will run fine.
> As a hack, i have this added to the gdm init script. This is working,
> but I'd like to solve the problem.

I experienced the same problem after the upgrade from feisty to
gutsy.
Briefly explained, after updating i tried out the drivers from
ubuntu, nvidia-glx-new, or something like that.
But they didnt work for me like i wanted, so i thought i removed
them and installed the binary drivers from nvidia.
Same thing happened to me, i had to rmmod nvidia and modprobe
nvidia after a reboot.

It didnt annoy me much, but after a while i had some time and fiddled
around with the drivers, removing, purging and reinstalling the binary
driver, and out of the blue it worked.
So far so good.

Saturday i broke my mainboard and got a new one, and because
i had one free day i wanted to install hardy on a software raid.
Said, Done, everything works fine.

I installed the binary driver from nvidia, and whoosh, the same problem
again, i have to rmmod nvidia and modprobe nvidia again to get X working
after a reboot.

Just a few seconds ago i removed nvidia-kernel-module, and tomorrow
i can tell you if X works without the procedure.

I believe that nvidia-kernel-module breaks the binary driver.

Maybe blacklisting the nvidia module could help too, but i didnt try out.

Greetings
Sven

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Sven Richter

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 01:11:42 Sven Richter wrote:
> Hi Zach,
>
> On Friday 08 February 2008 17:34:40 Zach wrote:
> > I have a problem where X won't start at boot. If I log into a
> > terminal, and rmmod nvidia && modprobe nvidia, then X will run fine.
> > As a hack, i have this added to the gdm init script. This is working,
> > but I'd like to solve the problem.
>
> I experienced the same problem after the upgrade from feisty to
> gutsy.
> Briefly explained, after updating i tried out the drivers from
> ubuntu, nvidia-glx-new, or something like that.
> But they didnt work for me like i wanted, so i thought i removed
> them and installed the binary drivers from nvidia.
> Same thing happened to me, i had to rmmod nvidia and modprobe
> nvidia after a reboot.
>
> It didnt annoy me much, but after a while i had some time and fiddled
> around with the drivers, removing, purging and reinstalling the binary
> driver, and out of the blue it worked.
> So far so good.
>
> Saturday i broke my mainboard and got a new one, and because
> i had one free day i wanted to install hardy on a software raid.
> Said, Done, everything works fine.
>
> I installed the binary driver from nvidia, and whoosh, the same problem
> again, i have to rmmod nvidia and modprobe nvidia again to get X working
> after a reboot.
>
> Just a few seconds ago i removed nvidia-kernel-module, and tomorrow
> i can tell you if X works without the procedure.
>
> I believe that nvidia-kernel-module breaks the binary driver.

Removing nvidia-kernel-common worked for me :-)
X starts now without problems.