Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Chris G

Default Wanted - video player (ogg video) with fast forward, pause, reverse, etc. controls

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:50:51PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On 11-03-22 08:09 AM, Chris G wrote:
> >The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
> >results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
> >will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
> >to search for stuff.
> >
> >Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
> >even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
> >maybe that's being a bit hopeful.
> >
> Mplayer is arguably the best video player available. and SMplayer
> the best front end for it. I noticed somewhere that Mplayer now has
> a PPA somewhere for current nightly builds on Ubuntu, I would
> suggest using that. (Mplayer team are allergic to actually making a
> 'release')

I had already installed mplayer, I have now added smplayer. My first
attempt at moving through a big video created by cheese made mplayer
crash. (Installed mplayer and smplayer from the Ubuntu repositories)

--
Chris Green

Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
NoOp

On 03/22/2011 09:50 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 11-03-22 08:09 AM, Chris G wrote:
>> The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
>> results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
>> will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
>> to search for stuff.
>>
>> Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
>> even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
>> maybe that's being a bit hopeful.
>>

> Mplayer is arguably the best video player available. and SMplayer the
> best front end for it. I noticed somewhere that Mplayer now has a PPA
> somewhere for current nightly builds on Ubuntu, I would suggest using
> that. (Mplayer team are allergic to actually making a 'release')

https://launchpad.net/~motumedia/+archive/mplayer-daily
Unfortunately, or fortunately can't tell which, you'll get updated
builds approximately every two weeks. It gets a little old having to
update every other week.

RVM used to keep his ppas' up to date, but hasn't done so for quite some
time:
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
NoOp

On 03/22/2011 11:41 AM, NoOp wrote:
> https://launchpad.net/~motumedia/+archive/mplayer-daily
> Unfortunately, or fortunately can't tell which, you'll get updated
> builds approximately every two weeks. It gets a little old having to
> update every other week.
>
> RVM used to keep his ppas' up to date, but hasn't done so for quite some
> time:
> https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer
> https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

Correction: twice weekly.