Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Chris G

Default Wanted - video player (ogg video) with fast forward, pause, reverse, etc. controls

The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
to search for stuff.

Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
maybe that's being a bit hopeful.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Basil Chupin

The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
to search for stuff.

Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
maybe that's being a bit hopeful.

vlc

BC

--
"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
Bender, Futurama.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:50:36PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 22/03/2011 23:09, Chris G wrote:
> >The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
> >results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
> >will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
> >to search for stuff.
> >
> >Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
> >even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
> >maybe that's being a bit hopeful.
>
> vlc

Thanks, VLC does seem to provide most of what I want.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Basil Chupin

On 23/03/2011 00:31, Chris G wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:50:36PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 22/03/2011 23:09, Chris G wrote:

The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
to search for stuff.

Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
maybe that's being a bit hopeful.

vlc

Thanks, VLC does seem to provide most of what I want.

If you have a digital video card (DVB-T or DVB-S or DVB-C) you'll need
to download and install w-scan to be able to create a channels list for
vlc to use.

BC

Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 01:13:15AM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 23/03/2011 00:31, Chris G wrote:

> >>vlc
> >>
> >Thanks, VLC does seem to provide most of what I want.
>
> If you have a digital video card (DVB-T or DVB-S or DVB-C) you'll
> need to download and install w-scan to be able to create a channels
> list for vlc to use.

Initially all I want is a flexible way of playing recordings from a web
cam.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Rashkae

On 11-03-22 08:09 AM, Chris G wrote:

The subject says it all really, I want a video player for looking at the
results of running a webcam (I used cheese to do the recording) that
will allow me to fast forward, stop, reverse and so on to make it easy
to search for stuff.

Ideally there would be time indicators that would show elapsed time and
even 'actual time' being the 'start of recording' + 'elapsed time' but
maybe that's being a bit hopeful.

Mplayer is arguably the best video player available. and SMplayer the
best front end for it. I noticed somewhere that Mplayer now has a PPA
somewhere for current nightly builds on Ubuntu, I would suggest using
that. (Mplayer team are allergic to actually making a 'release')