Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Default Firefox 4

co-ask

Kaushal Shriyan (kaushalshriyan@gmail.com) wrote [11.03.22 18:37]:
| Hi
|
| Firefox 4 will be released on Wednesday 23/01/2011 PST. Is it going to be
| ported to Ubuntu 10.10 ?
|
| Thanks
|
| Kaushal

| --

Li Xin
2011-03-22

Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM, <siziki@gmail.com> wrote:

co-ask

Kaushal Shriyan (kaushalshriyan@gmail.com) wrote [11.03.22 18:37]:

| Hi

| Firefox 4 will be released on Wednesday 23/01/2011 PST. Is it going to be

| ported to Ubuntu 10.10 ?

| Thanks

| Kaushal

| --

Li Xin

2011-03-22

Hi

In that case will FF 4.0 will be available in 11.04 ?

Thanks

Kaushal

Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Alan Pope

On 22 March 2011 11:23, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> In that case will FF 4.0 will be available in 11.04 ?

It already is.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=firefox

Once the final release is made, the 11.04 package will be updated.

Al.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Ric Moore

Sitting all comfy back here in the 10.4 easy seats, I find I need to
update firefox to version 4. Last time I did that, it lost every darn
thing... instead of smoothly transferring itself as I had hoped. A
google reveals everyone and their brother with advice. Anyone here know
of the most painless route to upgrade firefox? I installed Java version
7 - 64 manually (which I HATE to do) as java upgrades seem to be stalled
like a barnacle on a wooden hull. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:11:05 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> Sitting all comfy back here in the 10.4 easy seats, I find I need to
> update firefox to version 4. Last time I did that, it lost every darn
> thing... instead of smoothly transferring itself as I had hoped. A
> google reveals everyone and their brother with advice. Anyone here know
> of the most painless route to upgrade firefox? I installed Java version
> 7 - 64 manually (which I HATE to do) as java upgrades seem to be stalled
> like a barnacle on a wooden hull. Ric

http://askubuntu.com/questions/6339/how-do-i-install-the-latest-stable-
version-of-firefox/6348#6348

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 03:19 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:11:05 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > Sitting all comfy back here in the 10.4 easy seats, I find I need to
> > update firefox to version 4. Last time I did that, it lost every darn
> > thing... instead of smoothly transferring itself as I had hoped. A
> > google reveals everyone and their brother with advice. Anyone here know
> > of the most painless route to upgrade firefox? I installed Java version
> > 7 - 64 manually (which I HATE to do) as java upgrades seem to be stalled
> > like a barnacle on a wooden hull. Ric
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/6339/how-do-i-install-the-latest-stable-
> version-of-firefox/6348#6348

Thanks, I got it running later on... plus I have java 7 installed. It's
quite a speed improvement over the Ubuntu standard sun-java install,
too. I used this howto...
http://codeslinger.posterous.com/how-to-install-java-7-on-ubuntu

This guy knows what he's writing about, for a change. The only part he
left out was chasing around in system preferences for file associations
related to java, which I had to edit as well. THEN it works like a charm
once you have them pointing to the new jdk-7 locations. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM
NoOp

On 08/24/2011 09:32 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 03:19 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:11:05 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> > Sitting all comfy back here in the 10.4 easy seats, I find I need to
>> > update firefox to version 4. Last time I did that, it lost every darn
>> > thing... instead of smoothly transferring itself as I had hoped. A
>> > google reveals everyone and their brother with advice. Anyone here know
>> > of the most painless route to upgrade firefox? I installed Java version
>> > 7 - 64 manually (which I HATE to do) as java upgrades seem to be stalled
>> > like a barnacle on a wooden hull. Ric
>>
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/6339/how-do-i-install-the-latest-stable-
>> version-of-firefox/6348#6348
>
> Thanks, I got it running later on... plus I have java 7 installed. It's
> quite a speed improvement over the Ubuntu standard sun-java install,

Not sure why you'd want to go to all that work to install 4.0. 6.0 is
the current stable version:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

You can download & extract to a home folder & run from there to test. It
will use your current profile (back it up first) in ~/.mozilla/firefox

BTW: 9.0a1 is the current nightly version:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0a1) Gecko/20110825 Firefox/9.0a1