FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

Hi,

Is there a way to block updates from global ubuntu mirror and just point the clients to update from local ubuntu mirror ?

Thanks

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
"Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari"
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

Il 03/22/2011 08:11 AM, Kaushal Shriyan ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to block updates from global ubuntu mirror and just
> point the clients to update from local ubuntu mirror ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaushal
Hi,
synaptic and Co. do not know about "local" or "global" mirrors. They
only know whatever is written in /etc/apt/source.list
If you put there the address of the local mirror instead of the one
actually there your system will get its updates from the local mirror as
you asked.

--
Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari <leothehobbit@gmail.com> wrote:


Il 03/22/2011 08:11 AM, Kaushal Shriyan ha scritto:

> Hi,

>

> Is there a way to block updates from global ubuntu mirror and just

> point the clients to update from local ubuntu mirror ?

>

> Thanks

>

> Kaushal

Hi,

synaptic and Co. do not know about "local" or "global" mirrors. They

only know whatever is written in /etc/apt/source.list

If you put there the address of the local mirror instead of the one

actually there your system will get its updates from the local mirror as

you asked.



--

Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari

Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Hi

Is there a way to forcefully redirect the client to Local Ubuntu Mirror ? The reason being we do not want to choke Internet bandwidth while visiting Global Ubuntu Mirror.

Thanks



Kaushal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

On 22 March 2011 08:38, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
> <leothehobbit@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Il 03/22/2011 08:11 AM, Kaushal Shriyan ha scritto:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to block updates from global ubuntu mirror and just
>> > point the clients to update from local ubuntu mirror ?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Kaushal
>> Hi,
>> synaptic and Co. do not know about "local" or "global" mirrors. They
>> only know whatever is written in /etc/apt/source.list
>> If you put there the address of the local mirror instead of the one
>> actually there your system will get its updates from the local mirror as
>> you asked.
>>
>> --
>> Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
>> Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to forcefully redirect the client to Local Ubuntu Mirror ?
> The reason being we do not want to choke Internet bandwidth while visiting
> Global Ubuntu Mirror.

Yes, as Leo said, edit /etc/apt/sources.list (though he mis-typed the
file name).

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari <leothehobbit@gmail.com> wrote:


Il 03/22/2011 08:11 AM, Kaushal Shriyan ha scritto:

> Hi,

>

> Is there a way to block updates from global ubuntu mirror and just

> point the clients to update from local ubuntu mirror ?

>

> Thanks

>

> Kaushal

Hi,

synaptic and Co. do not know about "local" or "global" mirrors. They

only know whatever is written in /etc/apt/source.list

If you put there the address of the local mirror instead of the one

actually there your system will get its updates from the local mirror as

you asked.



--

Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari

Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Hi,

I have added the below entries in /etc/jesred.rules

regex ^http://((.*)archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/(dists|pool)/.*)$**

* http://172.26.0.164

regex ^http://(security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/(dists|pool)/.*)$*** http://172.26.0.164


and restarted squid

I have local ubuntu mirror 172.26.0.164 using deb-mirror method but still it points to Global mirror when i update the client Ubuntu PC

Please suggest

PS :- http://www.porcheron.info/bandwith-optimization-squid-apt-cacher-and-jesred/

Thanks



Kaushal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default Ubuntu Updates

On 22 March 2011 11:38, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have local ubuntu mirror 172.26.0.164 using deb-mirror method but still it
> points to Global mirror when i update the client Ubuntu PC
> Please suggest
>

Personally I use the super easy method of "squid-deb-proxy".

On server install "squid-deb-proxy" and on clients install
"squid-deb-proxy-client". That's it.

All clients will find the proxy via Avahi. If the proxy isn't
available (for example if they are on a laptop and out of the office)
they will use their normal sources.list entries, but when in the
office where they can 'see' the proxy and discover it via avahi, they
use it.

Easy.

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org