Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Default Reading CD & DVD discs => "Error File not found."

The DVD/CD drive had been reading discs ok when the Maverick 10.10 was
freshly installed. As time went by after some updates, the disc in
the CD/DVD drive could not be read. A small box popped up, "Error:
File not found." I tried some DVD and Cd disks, but no success. It
looks like the drive is disconnected. I looked in Launchpad, but it
frustrated me with trying to find solution. Any idea what caused the
problem? Tip from you readers will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you. Jim

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 AM
James

Hi Jim

> The DVD/CD drive had been reading discs ok when the Maverick 10.10
was
> freshly installed. As time went by after some updates, the disc in
> the CD/DVD drive could not be read. A small box popped up, "Error:
> File not found." I tried some DVD and Cd disks, but no success. It
> looks like the drive is disconnected. I looked in Launchpad, but it
> frustrated me with trying to find solution. Any idea what caused the
> problem? Tip from you readers will be greatly appreciated. Thank
> you. Jim

Does it still show as connected during the post messages at boot up or in
the bios? It's possible it could be a hardware fault or maybe the
connector(s) worked loose over time? Can you read disks otherwise? If
dual booting does another OS read the disks? Also might help to know
your hardware setup

James

Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 AM

I went further and tried my external hard drive that has USB to plug
in. When I plugged it in and clicked open 'Main Menu' and 'Places', I
clicked its icon and the small box appeared 'Error File not found'
... to my big puzzle. It got me feeling really frustrated. Then when
I looked at 'Computer' icon and clicked on it, it opened!!! I clicked
CD/DVD drive icon in its box and it opened!!! Huh!! What is wrong
with the Disc icon and other icons in the Places list below 'Computer'
icon? They do not work. It is a relief for me to be able to open
'Computer' so that I could do some filings and back-ups. Thank you
Readers for trying to help me in this matter. Jim