Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Colin Law

Default Reading CD & DVD discs => "Error File not found."

On 29 March 2011 16:07, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:
> Thank you Colin,
> *Sorry, I misunderstood Chhatoi's message. *At that time I didn't think of
> myself as an user of my system - just one in the list of Ubuntu's users. *I
> am a solo user here.
> *Thank you Colin for the tip. *I logged myself out of the system to change
> it to another user as like a visitor, but I couldn't get into the new user
> system because my user name was the only one on the log-in list. *Guess I
> already told the system that I am a solo user. *Any more tips from you the
> readers? *Thank you. *Jim

Please don't top post it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
Insert your reply at the previous point in the message. Thanks.
Also by top posting you are more likely not to fully take note of the

> You did not answer Chhatoi's question. *If you log on as a different
> user do you still see the problem? *If necessary create a new user to
> try it. *System > Administration > Users and Groups.

Please read the sentence above for how to add a new user.

Colin

Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Thank you Colin.
Yes, indeed, I got it. I created a new user and then entered it.
It came out ok. Yes, indeed, when I clicked 'Home folder' and then
'Desktop', it opened up ok. No more 'Error: File not found.' Now
what? I do not want to leave my original user's place because it
isn't fixed yet. Otherwise, it would confuse me more if I try to
transfer everything what is in it to the new user's place. How do I
do that? What more I am asking myself a question, "What would happen
if the similar problem would happen in the new user's place because it
happened in my original place at my unexpectation? And then I could
not fix it." I need to know how to fix it.
Can I use Nautilus Actions Configuration to fix the problem? I am
still learning. Jim

Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 AM

Thank you Colin.
Yes, indeed, I got it. I created a new user and then entered it.
It came out ok. Yes, indeed, when I clicked 'Home folder' and then
'Desktop', it opened up ok. No more 'Error: File not found.' Now
what? I do not want to leave my original user's place because it
isn't fixed yet. Otherwise, it would confuse me more if I try to
transfer everything what is in it to the new user's place. How do I
do that? What more I am asking myself a question, "What would happen
if the similar problem would happen again in the new user's place
because it happened unexpectedly in my original place? And then I

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Colin Law

On 31 March 2011 02:59, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:
> Thank you Colin.
> *Yes, indeed, I got it. *I created a new user and then entered it. *It came
> out ok. *Yes, indeed, when I clicked 'Home folder' and then 'Desktop', it
> opened up ok. *No more 'Error: *File not found.' *Now what? *I do not want
> to leave my original user's place because it isn't fixed yet. *Otherwise, it
> would confuse me more if I try to transfer everything what is in it to the
> new user's place. *How do I do that? *What more I am asking myself a
> question, "What would happen if the similar problem would happen again in
> the new user's place because it happened unexpectedly in my original place?
> *And then I could not fix it." *I need to know how to fix it.
> *Can I use Nautilus Actions Configuration to fix the problem? *I am still
> learning. *Jim

I did not reply to this the first time as I had previously asked that
you follow the lists convention on not top posting, and in addition
you had not even quoted the appropriate bits of the previous message.
However...

You have now confirmed that it is not a system wide problem but is to
do with that particular user's setup and so will likely be something
that has got damaged in a file in your home folder, probably one of
the hidden configuration files/folders (beginning with dot).

As far as what to do about it, do you keep a full backup of your home
folder? Is so then you can replace the entire folder from the backup
(obviously take a new backup first so that you can restore any work
that you have done in the meantime).

Otherwise I am afraid I do not know. Anyone else?

Colin