-   -   how to install source code (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/503935-how-install-source-code.html)

Tapas Mishra 03-21-2011 09:02 PM

how to install source code

I need Apache source code which Ubuntu is using so how do I go for
installing the source itself.
Tried some guides but all was in vain.

NoOp 03-21-2011 09:09 PM

how to install source code

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

Alan Pope 03-21-2011 09:09 PM

how to install source code

On 21 March 2011 22:02, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need Apache source code which Ubuntu is using so how do I go for
> installing the source itself.
> Tried some guides but all was in vain.

apt-get source <packagename>

e.g.:-

alan@wopr:/tmp/apache$ apt-get source apache2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Need to get 6,809 kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main apache2
2.2.17-1ubuntu1 (dsc) [1,980 B]
Get:2 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main apache2
2.2.17-1ubuntu1 (tar) [6,598 kB]
Get:3 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main apache2
2.2.17-1ubuntu1 (diff) [209 kB]
Fetched 6,809 kB in 8s (780 kB/s)
gpgv: Signature made Tue 22 Feb 2011 18:02:57 GMT using DSA key ID FA14013B
gpgv: Can't check signature: public key not found
dpkg-source: warning: failed to verify signature on
./apache2_2.2.17-1ubuntu1.dsc
dpkg-source: info: extracting apache2 in apache2-2.2.17
dpkg-source: info: unpacking apache2_2.2.17.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: applying apache2_2.2.17-1ubuntu1.diff.gz

Job done.

Al.

NoOp 03-22-2011 03:45 AM

how to install source code

On 03/21/2011 03:09 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 March 2011 22:02, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need Apache source code which Ubuntu is using so how do I go for
>> installing the source itself.
>> Tried some guides but all was in vain.
>>

> apt-get source <packagename>

He asked: "how to install source code".

> I need Apache source code which Ubuntu is using so how do I go for
> installing the source itself.
> Tried some guides but all was in vain.

Unfortunately Tapas seems to either have my msgs filtered/blocked (as
he's not bothered to respond to any other posts that I've made recently
that could resolve his other issues) or is just too lazy to reply back
with an acknowledgement.

Good luck w/Tapas.

Niki Kovacs 03-22-2011 06:34 AM

how to install source code

Unfortunately Tapas seems to either have my msgs filtered/blocked (as
he's not bothered to respond to any other posts that I've made recently
that could resolve his other issues) or is just too lazy to reply back
with an acknowledgement.

I wouldn't expect folks to do more than R'ing The F'ing M if your posts
usually boil down to telling them to R The F'ing M. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki Kovacs (a.k.a. Kiki Novak)

Tapas Mishra 03-22-2011 09:18 AM

how to install source code

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 03:09 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 21 March 2011 22:02, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I need Apache source code which Ubuntu is using so how do I go for
>>> installing the source itself.
>>> Tried some guides but all was in vain.
>>>

>> apt-get source <packagename>
Thanks Alan I was looking for this information only.
> He asked: "how to install source code".
Sorry my mistake I did not asked the correct thing.

> Unfortunately Tapas seems to either have my msgs filtered/blocked (as
> he's not bothered to respond to any other posts that I've made recently
> that could resolve his other issues) or is just too lazy to reply back
> with an acknowledgement.

No no I am not filtering any message I just don't want to disturb the
entire list for each small message.

NoOp 03-22-2011 05:49 PM

how to install source code

On 03/22/2011 12:34 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Le 22/03/2011 05:45, NoOp a écrit :
>>
>> Unfortunately Tapas seems to either have my msgs filtered/blocked (as
>> he's not bothered to respond to any other posts that I've made recently
>> that could resolve his other issues) or is just too lazy to reply back
>> with an acknowledgement.
>>

> I wouldn't expect folks to do more than R'ing The F'ing M if your posts
> usually boil down to telling them to R The F'ing M. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I see you jumped right in there to answer the question: "how to
install source code".

At *least* I provided him with links to instructions on how to do that
(how to install source code). Perhaps next time you'll dig into that
book of yours & provide complete details, eh?