Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
"J. L."

Default Dual monitors using DVI / VGA ports on motherboard

Am 21.03.2011 17:29 schrieb Jordon Bedwell:
> On 3/21/2011 11:10 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
>> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
>> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
>>
>> I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
>> one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
>> I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
>> at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?
>
> Yes, after a quick Google several people have stated that it has dual
> monitor support out of the box.

I've got the quite similar Asrock (ASUS subsidiary) model M3A790GXH/128M
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=M3A790GXH/128M
and it works like a charm as DVI-VGA-dual-monitor-solution.

>> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
>> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
>> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
>> outputs?

> No, the design logic of most boards is to auto-disable the onboard if
> you have another card installed.

You are really sure?

I have not verified this personally but at least to my knowledge my
above mentioned Asrock board should offer this feature, at least with
AMD / ATI graphics cards.

Perhaps it would be best to check this with ASUS or AMD respectively!

Good luck!

J. L.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
"J. L."

Am 21.03.2011 17:29 schrieb Jordon Bedwell:
> On 3/21/2011 11:10 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
>> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
>> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
>>
>> I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
>> one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
>> I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
>> at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?
>
> Yes, after a quick Google several people have stated that it has dual
> monitor support out of the box.

I've got the quite similar Asrock (ASUS subsidiary) model M3A790GXH/128M
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=M3A790GXH/128M
and it works like a charm as DVI-VGA-dual-monitor-solution.

>> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
>> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
>> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
>> outputs?

> No, the design logic of most boards is to auto-disable the onboard if
> you have another card installed.

You are really sure?

I have not verified this personally but at least to my knowledge my
above mentioned Asrock board should offer this feature, at least with
AMD / ATI graphics cards.

---------
Addendum:
Page 20 ff of my board's manual postulates so called "Surround Display
Feature" in which the onboard and the PCI-E-graphics card work
simultaneously ...

But up to now i have not checked / verified this personally.
---------

Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:29, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/2011 11:10 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
>> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
>> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
>>
>> I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
>> one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
>> I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
>> at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?
>
> Yes, after a quick Google several people have stated that it has dual
> monitor support out of the box.

What did you google on? Why didn't I find that?!?

>> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
>> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
>> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
>> outputs?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> No, the design logic of most boards is to auto-disable the onboard if you
> have another card installed.

That is what I feared, thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:40, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:10:23PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
>> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
>> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
>>
>> I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
>> one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
>> I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
>> at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?
>>
> That page says:-
>
> * *Dual VGA Output
> * *The interface of this motherboard supports dual VGA output both HDMI/DVI
> * *and RGB and is HDCP compliant allowing playback of HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc.
>
> That suggests to me that you can use both at the same time but I must
> admit it's ambiguous.

Yes, I was not sure about that exactly.

>> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
>> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
>> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
>> outputs?
>>

> I'm pretty certain that to have two monitors (know as double headed) you
> need a graphics card that has two outputs, a separate graphics card
> won't 'play nicely' with the built-in graphics.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Jordon Bedwell

I have not verified this personally but at least to my knowledge my
above mentioned Asrock board should offer this feature, at least with
AMD / ATI graphics cards.

---------
Addendum:
Page 20 ff of my board's manual postulates so called "Surround Display
Feature" in which the onboard and the PCI-E-graphics card work
simultaneously ...

But up to now i have not checked / verified this personally.
---------

Perhaps it would be best to check this with ASUS or AMD respectively!

Well, not so sure I would say you are wrong. Anything is possible, tis
why I said most. I've never actually seen a board like that but if the
manual says it's true I can't argue with that, I wouldn't anyways
because well as I said before anything is possible and it's right up
AMD's ally to do something like that because they *one* of the best
graphics companies.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Preston Hagar

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
> outputs?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Dotan Cohen

I'm not sure about both outputs on your motherboard, but a few items
to note. If you already have two monitors with VGA connectors, you
can get a DVI to VGA adapter off Amazon for about $3 USD

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH/

Also, if you do need to buy a dedicated PCIe graphics card, you can
get one, with dual monitor support that will likely be more powerful
than your on-board video for around $30-35 USD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500189

Even the $3 or $30 may not be an option (or if you aren't in the US
the prices may be more), I just wanted to share that if your current
on-board setup didn't work, the additional costs wouldn't be that
high. I didn't search very long for the video card, but I know you
can also get cards with dual VGA instead of one DVI and one VGA if all
you have is VGA monitors.

Preston

Old 03-21-2011, 05:19 PM
"J. L."

Am 21.03.2011 18:54 schrieb Jordon Bedwell:

>> ---------
>> Addendum:
>> Page 20 ff of my board's manual postulates so called "Surround Display
>> Feature" in which the onboard and the PCI-E-graphics card work
>> simultaneously ...
>>
>> But up to now i have not checked / verified this personally.
>> ---------
>>
>> Perhaps it would be best to check this with ASUS or AMD respectively!
>
> Well, not so sure I would say you are wrong. Anything is possible, tis
> why I said most. I've never actually seen a board like that but if the
> manual says it's true I can't argue with that, I wouldn't anyways
> because well as I said before anything is possible and it's right up
> AMD's ally to do something like that because they *one* of the best
> graphics companies.

At least _my_ AMD-790-GX onboard graphics unit on the already mentionend
Asrock-board works like a charm without any problems whatsoever as a
dual-head-solution with DVI- and VGA-monitor with different resolutions
and refresh rates.

And AMDs "CrossFireX"- or "Hybrid CrossFireX"-concept /-feature is made
for even more than two monitors simultaneously.

I've seen AMD-solutions with six monitors working but have not checked
this personally for myself.