Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Dual monitors using DVI / VGA ports on motherboard

Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi

I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?

Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
outputs?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Jordon Bedwell

Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi

I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?

Yes, after a quick Google several people have stated that it has dual
monitor support out of the box.

Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
outputs?

Thanks!

No, the design logic of most boards is to auto-disable the onboard if
you have another card installed.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:10:23PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
>
> I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
> one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
> I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
> at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?

That page says:-

Dual VGA Output
The interface of this motherboard supports dual VGA output both HDMI/DVI
and RGB and is HDCP compliant allowing playback of HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc.

That suggests to me that you can use both at the same time but I must
admit it's ambiguous.

> Failing that, if I were to add a discrete PCIe graphics card would I
> be able to use both the onboard VGA output and the card's VGA output
> as separate monitors? Or would I need a graphics card with two
> outputs?

I'm pretty certain that to have two monitors (know as double headed) you
need a graphics card that has two outputs, a separate graphics card
won't 'play nicely' with the built-in graphics.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:29:27AM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 3/21/2011 11:10 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >Hi all, I have this motherboard in my computer:
> >Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
> >http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=khuIilXQjwItSrPi
> >
> >I wonder if I could attach two monitors to the system, one to DVI and
> >one to VGA, and have the computer recognise them as separate outputs.
> >I'd simply try but I don't yet have an additional monitor to test on
> >at the moment (everything I own is VGA). Does this sound reasonable?
>
> Yes, after a quick Google several people have stated that it has
> dual monitor support out of the box.

... but does that mean two monitors showing different displays or does
it just mean that it can support both VGA and DVI/HDMI?

--
Chris Green