Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Patton Echols

Default Sound problem no speakers

I have had difficulties getting sound to work correctly on my Netbook.
The symptom is that the built in speakers don't work. When booting, the
"drum" sound plays, and that's the end of it. The headphones do work.

After much googling, a couple of suggestions were found
(1) Install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic
Done, did not fix the problem
(2) Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
add to file:
options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-amic
One site suggested "model=auto" instead. I've tried that too.
(3) I'm really close with a suggestion to run "alsamixer" from the
command line. When I do so, I find the "Speaker" slider is set to
zero. I posted a picture of what I'm talking about at:
http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/mpecho/?action=view&current=alsamixer1.png
If I set volume to 100 (or any non zero value) then sound works
correctly. Speakers on and mute when headphones plugged and unplugged.

Here is the remaining problem. This "fix" does not survive a reboot.

I have looked at the Pulseaudio chooser and volume control. I see no
obvious settings that would account for the behavior. But then I can't
make heads or tails out of most of it anyway.

Any thoughts?

System info
ASUS Eee Pc 1005 PEB
Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
$ uname -a
Linux mycroft 2.6.32-30-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 21:30:46 UTC
2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks

-- PE

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Tony Pursell

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 01:01 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> I have had difficulties getting sound to work correctly on my Netbook.
> The symptom is that the built in speakers don't work. When booting, the
> "drum" sound plays, and that's the end of it. The headphones do work.
>
> After much googling, a couple of suggestions were found
> (1) Install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic
> Done, did not fix the problem
> (2) Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> add to file:
> options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-amic
> One site suggested "model=auto" instead. I've tried that too.
> (3) I'm really close with a suggestion to run "alsamixer" from the
> command line. When I do so, I find the "Speaker" slider is set to
> zero. I posted a picture of what I'm talking about at:
> http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/mpecho/?action=view&current=alsamixer1.png
> If I set volume to 100 (or any non zero value) then sound works
> correctly. Speakers on and mute when headphones plugged and unplugged.
>
> Here is the remaining problem. This "fix" does not survive a reboot.
>
> I have looked at the Pulseaudio chooser and volume control. I see no
> obvious settings that would account for the behavior. But then I can't
> make heads or tails out of most of it anyway.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> System info
> ASUS Eee Pc 1005 PEB
> Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
> $ uname -a
> Linux mycroft 2.6.32-30-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 21:30:46 UTC
> 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Thanks
>
> -- PE

Try

sudo alsactl store

after you have made the settings in alsamixer.

Tony

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Patton Echols

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. Seemed like such a good idea. Apparently
something is overriding the saved info because the changes still do not
survive reboot. I also discovered in the process "amixer" a CLI utility
that will allow you to make and show sound settings.

Output with sound working
===========================
$ amixer sget Speaker
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 64
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 63 [98%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 63 [98%] [0.00dB] [on]
========Store Settings ==========
$ sudo alsactl store

=======After Reboot==========
$ amixer sget Speaker
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 64
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-63.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-63.00dB] [on]

Anyone other ideas? I am most interested in suggestions as to what
could be doing the resetting. My guess is that something is
mis-configured But I've no idea what.

--PE

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
:

> Thanks for the suggestion. *Seemed like such a good idea. *Apparently
> something is overriding the saved info because the changes still do not
> survive reboot. *I also discovered in the process "amixer" a CLI utility
> that will allow you to make and show sound settings.

Have you removed the pulseaudio drivers from the system? Although
some people here swear by it, I have found that ALSA by itself works
where ALSA + Pulse = silence. This could be related.

Drawback - you lose the panel volume control (which is a Pulse
entity), but there's a perl script by Sonal Santan called volumekey.pl
that subs nicely for it, and it works while the screensaver is running
(and your computer locked) without kicking the screensaver or waiting
for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 00:00 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> :
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Seemed like such a good idea. Apparently
> > something is overriding the saved info because the changes still do not
> > survive reboot. I also discovered in the process "amixer" a CLI utility
> > that will allow you to make and show sound settings.
> >
> Have you removed the pulseaudio drivers from the system? Although
> some people here swear by it, I have found that ALSA by itself works
> where ALSA + Pulse = silence. This could be related.

I have had a problem with Xine, as it always seems to set the volume to
zero when I use it. But, that doesn't mess up my bootup sounds.

I use alsamixer to set the sound levels and muting just once. Then,
afterwards, until something updates and screws it all up, pulse handles
it and remembers the last state you used it in when you crank up any
given application. I call that a feature, not a bug. Just use
"pavucontrol" to manage your pulse settings after you run alsamixer for
the first time. I usually set everything to 80%, initially. If something
goes screwy, I just check alsamixer. Something is usually muted again.
Why, I have no clue.

But, I'm happier with alsa+pulse than I was with alsa alone. I can
switch between my 5.1 sound system and my USB headphones easily. And, if
I last listened to a DVD with the headphones, then the headphones are
switched to automatically the next time I play a DVD. pavucontrol allows
you to select/switch sources and outputs on the fly. Nice! There was a
time I hated pulse though. Now, it behaves for me ...mostly. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Patton Echols

On 03/25/2011 12:00 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Patton Echols<p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
:

Thanks for the suggestion. Seemed like such a good idea. Apparently
something is overriding the saved info because the changes still do not
survive reboot. I also discovered in the process "amixer" a CLI utility
that will allow you to make and show sound settings.

Have you removed the pulseaudio drivers from the system? Although
some people here swear by it, I have found that ALSA by itself works
where ALSA + Pulse = silence. This could be related.

I have not. I guess I don't really know what pulse is supposed to do . . .

Drawback - you lose the panel volume control (which is a Pulse
entity), but there's a perl script by Sonal Santan called volumekey.pl
that subs nicely for it, and it works while the screensaver is running
(and your computer locked) without kicking the screensaver or waiting
for it.

Do you know if that control works with laptop function keys that control
volume?

Thanks for the thoughts,

--PE

Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday, March 21, 2011 5:06:58 pm Patton Echols wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. Seemed like such a good idea. Apparently
> something is overriding the saved info because the changes still do not
> survive reboot. I also discovered in the process "amixer" a CLI utility
> that will allow you to make and show sound settings.
>
> Output with sound working
> ===========================
> $ amixer sget Speaker
> Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
> Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Playback 0 - 64
> Mono:
> Front Left: Playback 63 [98%] [0.00dB] [on]
> Front Right: Playback 63 [98%] [0.00dB] [on]
> ========Store Settings ==========
> $ sudo alsactl store
>
> =======After Reboot==========
> $ amixer sget Speaker
> Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
> Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
> Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> Limits: Playback 0 - 64
> Mono:
> Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-63.00dB] [on]
> Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-63.00dB] [on]
>
> Anyone other ideas? I am most interested in suggestions as to what
> could be doing the resetting. My guess is that something is
> mis-configured But I've no idea what.

Do you have "pavucontrol" installed? Seems this needs installed for any pulse
audio to work but is never installed by default.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Patton Echols

On 03/25/2011 12:25 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 00:00 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Patton Echols<p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
:

I have had a problem with Xine, as it always seems to set the volume to
zero when I use it. But, that doesn't mess up my bootup sounds.

Yeah, if all settings would stay the same through reboot I'd be happy.

But, I'm happier with alsa+pulse than I was with alsa alone. I can
switch between my 5.1 sound system and my USB headphones easily. And, if
I last listened to a DVD with the headphones, then the headphones are
switched to automatically the next time I play a DVD. pavucontrol allows
you to select/switch sources and outputs on the fly.

But how do you do that? For example, if I want to switch between the
built in mic on my netbook and a plugged in one? I do not see a place
to select. On the hardware tab there is "internal audio analog stereo"
as the only choice. Same with speakers. No way to choose headphones
over the built in speakers. (Maybe there would be If I had usb 'phones)

Looking at PA chooser, there are a bunch of things that I suppose can be
configured, like sources, servers and sinks (whatever that is) but so
far I have not found any meaningful guides in the 'buntu forums. Maybe
I should try and google up a PA project page. But the difficulty of
getting this working seems to fly in the face of the "it just works"
philosophy.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted. Even RTFM, if you have an FM in mind!

Thanks
-- PE

Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Patton Echols

On 03/25/2011 08:45 AM, Pastor JW wrote:

[...]

Yes, Thanks

Seems this needs installed for any pulse
audio to work but is never installed by default.

Yeah, and that is just nuts. Does anyone think that sound (on a
desktop) is something that people will really consider to be
"optional?" Should work out of the box.

Thanks,
--PE

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 08:56 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 08:45 AM, Pastor JW wrote:

> > Do you have "pavucontrol" installed?
> Yes, Thanks
> > Seems this needs installed for any pulse
> > audio to work but is never installed by default.
> >

> Yeah, and that is just nuts. Does anyone think that sound (on a
> desktop) is something that people will really consider to be
> "optional?" Should work out of the box.

I agree... but I thought it was included by default. I guess my brain
can't wrap around that it wouldn't be. Without that, not much happens.
Ric

Linux user# 44256