Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Thomas Blasejewicz

Default CD does not boot

I tried to install Ubuntu on my son's computer.

Tried Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

The built in CD drive is broken, but there is a USB external DVD
drive.

I did setup the BIOS to boot from "USB-CDROM".

The computer powers up, access lamp light up, showing that the
computer is trying to access the external drive, but then

I get on the sceen something like

"Booting from CD: ___"

where the underbar section blinks.

Yet, the computer does not accept any imput, keyboard mouse etc. do
not respond and the

external drive, just sits there, after its access lamp had lit up
briefly.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation.

All ** I ** could do was turn off the power.

Thank you.

Thomas

Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Doug

I tried to install Ubuntu on my son's computer.

Tried Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

The built in CD drive is broken, but there is a USB external DVD
drive.

I did setup the BIOS to boot from "USB-CDROM".

The computer powers up, access lamp light up, showing that the
computer is trying to access the external drive, but then

I get on the sceen something like

"Booting from CD: ___"

where the underbar section blinks.

Yet, the computer does not accept any imput, keyboard mouse etc.
do not respond and the

external drive, just sits there, after its access lamp had lit up
briefly.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation.

All ** I ** could do was turn off the power.

Thank you.

Thomas

Could you take the external drive out of its housing and put it in
the computer? Then when you get a chance you can buy another drive
to put in the external housing.I guess the latter might take a
while, with the situation over there.I wish you and your countrymen
the best of luck!

--doug

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM
"J. L."

Am 21.03.2011 09:00 schrieb Thomas Blasejewicz:
> I tried to install Ubuntu on my son's computer.
> Tried Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.
> The built in CD drive is broken, but there is a USB external DVD drive.
> I did setup the BIOS to boot from "USB-CDROM".
>
> The computer powers up, access lamp light up, showing that the computer is
> trying to access the external drive, but then
> I get on the sceen something like
>
> "Booting from CD: ___"
> where the underbar section blinks.
> Yet, the computer does not accept any imput, keyboard mouse etc. do not respond
> and the
> external drive, just sits there, after its access lamp had lit up briefly.
>
> Is there anything that can be done in this situation.
> All ** I ** could do was turn off the power.

Perhaps You could try a bootable CD of another source (cd-/ dvd-writer)
or another os just to be sure that it is not a problem caused by this
special Ubuntu-CD but by the drive.

Have You checked / compared the md5-checksum ot Your CDs _after_ writing
/ burning?

Sometimes downloads go wrong or the burning process adds this infamous
"malicious bit" that prevents You from working with this special Ubuntu-CD.

Just my 2 cents ...

Wish You and Your whole country all the best!

J. L.