Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Klaus VE3KR

Default Disk partition wiped out

I installed alongside my windows7 the ubuntu 10.10 like the installation said it was going to do and now my windows7 laptop has lost both windows7 and ubuntu and cannot boot at all.

I get grub rescue>

This is really bad news.

How do I get my windows 7 back at least?

Regards

Klaus Rung

ve3kr

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Goh Lip

I installed alongside my windows7 the ubuntu 10.10 like the installation
said it was going to do and now my windows7 laptop has lost both
windows7 and ubuntu and cannot boot at all.

I get grub rescue>

This is really bad news.

How do I get my windows 7 back at least?

Regards
Klaus Rung
ve3kr

Klaus, at grub rescue type the following to get to normal grub>

grub rescue> set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod (hdX,Y)/boot/grub/normal.mod
rescue:grub> normal

note (hdX,Y) is where your ubuntu partition is, if you don't know, type
this first

grub rescue> ls /boot
and the output will give you an idea.

After you get the normal grub prompt ie., grub>
type
grub> set root=(hdX,Y)
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You will then be presented with the grub menu of the ubuntu that you
installed. Boot into ubuntu and at terminal, type this...

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

You should be able to boot into windows and ubuntu then.

However.....if you cannot boot even to ubuntu by above method,.....
you may have a blotched ubuntu installation and you can still get back
your windows by the usual method of using the windows installation cd
the method of which I am not too clear, either fixmbr or fixboot

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Thibault Dupuis

[...]

Next time, resize your windows partition with the disk utility in Windows 7.
Use "ntfsfix" for repair the windows partition also

Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Klaus VE3KR

Thanks very much for the timely answers. I will let you know how I make out with your instructions.

Regards

Klaus Rung

ve3kr

Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Klaus VE3KR

Ok, when I do a ls /boot I get no such partition,

When I do ls I get (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

I had a C drive and a D drive partiton originally for windows. The d holds all my files.

Regards

Klaus Rung

ve3kr

Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM