Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default firefox 3.6.15 ubuntu

I have a annoying problem in firefox 3.6.15 in Lucid Lynx where the
default application cannot be changed. Formerly there was a button
"Edit" in Edit-> Preferences->Applications where the default application
could be changed.
Now it uses for some unknown reason 'Virus Scanner' as the default
application which is completely useless where I would like to see gedit.
Moreover, formerly, when you pressed the button other in the opening
dialog where you can choose the default application, when you chose
"other" it gave the list of other applications. Now it opens the users
home directory (which of course is useless for choosing an application).

I hope somebody can clarify this as it is a great annoyance.
Joep

Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:43:34 +0100
"Joep L. Blom" <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:

> I have a annoying problem in firefox 3.6.15 in Lucid Lynx where the
> default application cannot be changed. Formerly there was a button
> "Edit" in Edit-> Preferences->Applications where the default
> application could be changed.
> Now it uses for some unknown reason 'Virus Scanner' as the default
> application which is completely useless where I would like to see
> gedit. Moreover, formerly, when you pressed the button other in the
> opening dialog where you can choose the default application, when you
> chose "other" it gave the list of other applications. Now it opens
> the users home directory (which of course is useless for choosing an
> application). I hope somebody can clarify this as it is a great
> annoyance. Joep

You don't say the app for which you wish to change the default but I
think that's OK. When you open the dialog for the app's default and
choose, "use other," it takes you to the last directory you had open.
Change that directory with the available controls by choosing the
little backward-facing arrow at the top by your home directory.
Click it enough (twice should be enough if you are in your user
directory already) and the / file system shows up. Navigate thusly to
whatever directory has your preferred app and choose it.

HTH

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Cybe,
THanks for your answer. The app was in the subject line and I forgot to
repeat it, sorry for that.
The app is Firefox and I don't want another directory but I want the
list of applications to be used as e.g. in nautilus is shown (and what
the manual of firefox promises). Most however I miss the possibility to
change the default behaviour of the applications menu.

Joep

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
NoOp

On 03/20/2011 01:08 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 20/03/11 15:16, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:43:34 +0100
>> "Joep L. Blom"<jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a annoying problem in firefox 3.6.15 in Lucid Lynx where the
>>> default application cannot be changed. Formerly there was a button
>>> "Edit" in Edit-> Preferences->Applications where the default
>>> application could be changed.
>>> Now it uses for some unknown reason 'Virus Scanner' as the default
>>> application which is completely useless where I would like to see
>>> gedit. Moreover, formerly, when you pressed the button other in the
>>> opening dialog where you can choose the default application, when you
>>> chose "other" it gave the list of other applications. Now it opens
>>> the users home directory (which of course is useless for choosing an
>>> application). I hope somebody can clarify this as it is a great
>>> annoyance. Joep
>>
>> You don't say the app for which you wish to change the default but I
>> think that's OK. When you open the dialog for the app's default and
>> choose, "use other," it takes you to the last directory you had open.
>> Change that directory with the available controls by choosing the
>> little backward-facing arrow at the top by your home directory.
>> Click it enough (twice should be enough if you are in your user
>> directory already) and the / file system shows up. Navigate thusly to
>> whatever directory has your preferred app and choose it.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
> Cybe,
> THanks for your answer. The app was in the subject line and I forgot to
> repeat it, sorry for that.
> The app is Firefox and I don't want another directory but I want the
> list of applications to be used as e.g. in nautilus is shown (and what
> the manual of firefox promises). Most however I miss the possibility to
> change the default behaviour of the applications menu.
> Joep

I _think_ that Cybe was asking what application type? The program is
Firefox, you are trying the change the 'Application' as in
Edit|Preferences|Applications in Firefox.

Those 'Applications' typically are set on first run and picked up from
your mime settings. They should also change if you've changed the
default opening program in Nautilus. For example 'MPEG Video' may have
'Use Movie Player (default)' as the default. In Nautilus I can change
that to use VLC as the default & FF _should_ pick up the change.

However, sometimes the mime file gets corrupted. You can change modify
directly in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<default profile>/mimeTypes.rdf - just
open that in gedit and edit. You can also simply rename/mv the file and
let FF rebuild a new one on restart.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Jerry,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm sorry I haven't been very lucid in my questions.
I don't have ant problem with the helper applications for any
extensions. My problem is that:
1. I cannot change the default helper as it always uses Virus Scanner as
it's default application which of course is ridiculous on a Linux system
(but I have clamav installed as I'm paranoid).
2. It doesn't come - as does nautilus - with a list of other helper
applications but shows my home directory.
I think both actions are not what is expected and moreover in nautilus
it works correctly.

Greetings,
Joep