-   -   nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/503147-nvidia-proprietary-drivers-leaves-pc-ususable.html)

Sebi Kul 03-20-2011 03:02 AM

nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

Hi all!

For a better understanding I will separate my problem in two fragments,
both of which converge with the same problem.

The first time I had this problem was a couple of months ago (while
using Ubuntu 10.10), when upgrading the nVidia proprietary driver using
the "~ubuntu-x-swat" ppa. The first time I booted after the upgrade I
found my screen with an image with the nVidia logo, and a line of text
saying "nVidia BETA Driver". At this point, nothing works, not even CTRL
+ ALT + F1, all I can do is restart using SysRQ + B.
**This "screen" appears a few seconds after the Ubuntu splash screen
disappears

I managed to solve this by entering into the grub list, and use a
fail-safe X session to use ppa-purge to downgrade the driver back to the
stable one (available on the repositories)

The second time this happened was a few days ago, when I upgraded to
Natty (clean install). As usual, I installed the propietary drivers
using jockey (known as "additional drivers"). I had two optios, nouveau
or the propietary one. I of course chose the last one, to get the best
out of my video card.
When I booted, I encountered my pc unusable. As I did last time, I
started a fail-safe X session, removed the nVidia proprietary driver,
and installed nouveau, just to be able to use my PC.

I wanted to know why this is happening. I tried everything I know to fix
what was causing this issue, regenerate the xorg.conf(nvidia-xconfig),
remove nouveau when installing the proprietary driver, but nothing
solved it.
**Please note that I can't get to nvidia-settings, as I can not boot
using the nVidia driver (hence, I can't configure it).

I also cant debug anything, I don't know where to look or what to look
on the logs. I can't get to a login prompt before or after this screen,
it appears too fast, and when it does, all I can do is reboot

I have a nVidia GT220 PCIe (active), and a nVidia GForce 6150LE (inactive)
**This happened with both video cards

If you need a to see how this "screen" looks, please let me know, so I
can do it only once(I can't get a screen-shot, I would need to reinstall
the proprietary driver, boot up, and take a photo of it).

If you need more information about my hardware please, just ask.

Thank you all for your help!

Basil Chupin 03-20-2011 03:18 AM

nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

For a better understanding I will separate my problem in two
fragments, both of which converge with the same problem.

The first time I had this problem was a couple of months ago (while
using Ubuntu 10.10), when upgrading the nVidia proprietary driver
using the "~ubuntu-x-swat" ppa.

Why did you do that? Why not use the System>Administration>Additional
Drivers (like you did below for Natty)? The [recommended] nVidia driver
installed this way works very well.

[pruned]

The second time this happened was a few days ago, when I upgraded to
Natty (clean install). As usual, I installed the propietary drivers
using jockey (known as "additional drivers"). I had two optios,
nouveau or the propietary one. I of course chose the last one, to get
the best out of my video card.
When I booted, I encountered my pc unusable. As I did last time, I
started a fail-safe X session, removed the nVidia proprietary driver,
and installed nouveau, just to be able to use my PC.

Natty has not yet been released and therefore the nVidia driver has not
yet been provided by nVidia for Natty. You'll have to use the nouveau
driver for now.

BC

--
"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
Bender, Futurama.

Sebi Kul 03-20-2011 03:31 AM

[...]

My problem is not with Maverick, it's with Natty (where I am using the
official drivers). I have no problem waiting, but this is happening in
both versions (at least for me), and it just feels strange. The Xorg
version available on Ubuntu 10.10 (<1.10) is still causing this
"error", but if i update, this screen appears. (Although the
incompatibility comes from Xorg >=1.10.

Anyway, I updated to the latest driver on Ubuntu 10.10 to debug 0.A.D

Doug 03-20-2011 03:54 AM

nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

I wanted to know why this is happening. I tried everything I know to
fix what was causing this issue, regenerate the
xorg.conf(nvidia-xconfig), remove nouveau when installing the
proprietary driver, but nothing solved it.
**Please note that I can't get to nvidia-settings, as I can not boot
using the nVidia driver (hence, I can't configure it).

I also cant debug anything, I don't know where to look or what to look
on the logs. I can't get to a login prompt before or after this
screen, it appears too fast, and when it does, all I can do is reboot

/snip/

What if you boot on a live CD, then you should be able to look at (and
if necessary, edit) the files in the installed system.
I haven't had reason to try this, but doesn't it work? (I don't know if
there's an editor on the live CD., or if you could

access the editor on the HD.) Just a thought. Maybe the mavins know.

--doug

Sebi Kul 03-20-2011 04:12 AM

[...]

I can edit all the files I want using a fail-safe X session, without
the need of loading a live cd every time I want to edit a file, but I
don't know what to edit, that's my problem

R Kimber 03-20-2011 01:23 PM

nVidia proprietary drivers leaves PC ususable

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:18:55 +1100
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Why did you do that? Why not use the System>Administration>Additional
> Drivers (like you did below for Natty)? The [recommended] nVidia driver
> installed this way works very well.

Maybe it does for installation purposes; I don't know. But on my system it
tells me that no proprietary drivers are in use, which just isn't true. I'm
using the nVidia driver. So it doesn't fill one with great confidence.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Alan Pope 03-20-2011 01:28 PM

On 20 March 2011 04:18, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Natty has not yet been released and therefore the nVidia driver has not yet
> been provided by nVidia for Natty. You'll have to use the nouveau driver for
> now.

There is a binary nVidia driver in Natty. It's been there a week or
two. I'm using it on my desktop and laptop.

Cheers,
Al.

MR ZenWiz 03-25-2011 05:55 AM

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Sebi Kul <sebikul@gmail.com> wrote:
:

> I wanted to know why this is happening. I tried everything I know to fix
> what was causing this issue, regenerate the xorg.conf(nvidia-xconfig),
> remove nouveau when installing the proprietary driver, but nothing solved
> it.

I had a similar problem when I first tried to use the NVidia drivers
for my desktop and my workstation. I wound up using the proprietary
driver from NVidia's web site, which works just fine although each
kernel upgrade requires a few extra steps because I haven't taken the
time to figure out how to Upstart it.

Since I upgraded my desktop a couple of weeks ago to an ATI on board
graphics card, I've been able to use the repository driver for that
(this) machine, and it hums perfectly.

HTH.