Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Chris

Default 11.04 Beta Experiance

I downloaded the more recent Beta (?) release of Naty a few days back
and last night opted to install.

After backing up my 10.10 system with Clonezilla, I rebooted into 10.10.
From there I put the DVD in and allowed the auto-run update feature.
This was a nice surprise! I wasn't sure how that was going to play out
but figured, why not.

The upgrade seemed straight to the point and only prompted me twice to
overwrite some files (I do recall one being the sudoers file - sorry, I
don't recall the other). It was nice to see the diffs and that allows
someone with a highly tweaked system to determine if they really want to
or need to over write with the version being installed. I don't know if
you would have the option merge the custom with the new or not - if not,
that might be a nice feature.

Anyways - the whole upgrade took a bit over 2 hours (on my Sony Vaio
desktop - 2.4 Ghz, 2 gig ram and all SATA drives).

Seemed long compared to a fresh install but still. Anyways, after first
boot I was seeing the Unity desktop. Not something I prefer (tried to
live with it but after 24 hours I knew I wasn't going to like it) but I
tried to give it a fair shake.

During the Unity trial, I did google what I needed to do to "go back" to
my beloved Gnome.

For those that may not know, simply setting that at the login screen
does it for you - no need to worry about removing anything. Anyways, the
new Evolution has some things fixed (in my mind) but more pointed, the
ability to simply mark all messages read within a folder without being
prompted something like "just this folder", "this folder and all folders
below" etc.

I'm not a big fan of Evo but I wanted to give it a chance from a few
years ago. for the record, I prefer Claws-Mail. I would opt for
Thunderbird IF I could have the same benefit I have with Claws for the
storage. I really like maildir (afaik, using T-Bird as a pop client
won't allow local storage in maildir format, only mbox).

Firefox 4 seems Ok, need to get used to the change in the layout but
seems Ok. As for my music playability - Amarok is version 2.4.0 and
seems tighter that the version in 10.10 (for me, after I would go to
Cover Manager, it was really really sluggish and I would close it down
and re launch).

Everything else seems pretty tight (I have kicked the tires but not
taker her out on the freeway yet) so far and I'm happy with it so far.

Good job Dev-Folks! Love your work!

--
Keep well,

Chris

Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 18:53 -0500, Chris wrote:
> I downloaded the more recent Beta (?) release of Naty a few days back
> and last night opted to install.

Still in alpha (3); beta 1 is supposed to be released on 31 March.
Final is due on 28 April, 6 weeks or so from now. It was pretty well
unusable 3 weeks ago, almost good enough for prime time today. I'm
thinking of just leaving it up on this still-experimental machine for
good.

> Seemed long compared to a fresh install but still. Anyways, after first
> boot I was seeing the Unity desktop. Not something I prefer (tried to
> live with it but after 24 hours I knew I wasn't going to like it) but I
> tried to give it a fair shake.

I've been using Unity for a week now; it grows on you. I have never
used a dock or a launcher before so it takes some adjustment.
Fortunately, you can just install gnome-do or synapse and just launch
things that way if Unity doesn't lead you right to them. It does seem
to require more mouse clicks to find and launch stuff than working with
a menu or with desktop icons. (You *can* have desktop icons). I kind
of like the default full screen launch of things and the application
menu in the top bar. The fact that this doesn't appear until you mouse
there is going to confuse people. There doesn't seem to be any way to
do things without heavy mousing. I'm working on configurations now;
maybe I'll get it working my way, Paradigm shifts are hard on the (old
unix-head) geezers.

I'm still getting some crash notifications when I start, but they don't
seem to be fatal.

What happened to winindicators? That was supposed to be the reason for
moving the close, minimize and maximize controls to the left. No sign
of them yet after 1 and 3/4 new releases.

I use the rotating cube (polyhedron?) in Mint; you can't have that with
Unity, so I've made a 16 desktop wall and enabled the expo plug-in since
I don't like the desktop picker on the dock. Much of a muchness. The
cube is good for the wow factor when showing off to Windows people and
really not for much else. When I was a squirt we were taught not to
waste cpu cycles on show-off stuff; I guess cpu cycles are so cheap and
plentiful now it doesn't matter.

> During the Unity trial, I did google what I needed to do to "go back" to
> my beloved Gnome.

Unity *is* GNOME; just another display mode. The tried and true will be
there. In fact, the millions with graphics cards that can't do compiz
will be there by default and wonder what all the fuss was about.

> I'm not a big fan of Evo but I wanted to give it a chance from a few
> years ago.

Evolution 3.32 is a *big* advance. Ubuntu has been slow with evo
versions, but you can get the latest for the last three releases and
derivatives like Mint from ppas, and the latest is in the 11.04 alpha.
The mapi plug-in works very well with the exchange 2007 server I need to
access, and my clunky caldev calender on Yahoo imported just fine. I'm
very happy with it; the PIM features make up for some of the
deficiencies of the mail client IMHO.

The how do I do stuff with Unity and why don't I have Unity questions
will dominate this list until mid-summer at least.

--
pongo pan
Seneca up 7:21, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05