-   -   Suspend and Hibernation Problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/502949-suspend-hibernation-problems.html)

Diogo Branco 03-19-2011 01:07 PM

Suspend and Hibernation Problems

Hardware / Software:

Motherboard Asus P5B-E
Processor Intel E6600
Bios Revision 1803
Graphic Card Shapphire Radeon X 1950 PRO 256 MB DDR3
Ram 8 Gigas DDR2 - 800
SO Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits
Kernel 2.6.32-30-generic

2 Problems:

I can suspend the system but when i try to come back the fan speed increase and stay that way, do not know how can i solve this issue.
The other issue is when i try to hibernate, the monitor goes black but the system stays on, i have to do a reset to come back.

Regards, Diogo.

Jordon Bedwell 03-19-2011 06:08 PM

Suspend and Hibernation Problems

Graphic Card Shapphire Radeon X 1950 PRO 256 MB DDR3
Ram 8 Gigas DDR2 - 800
SO Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits
Kernel 2.6.32-30-generic

2 Problems:

I can suspend the system but when i try to come back the fan speed
increase and stay that way, do not know how can i solve this issue.
The other issue is when i try to hibernate, the monitor goes black but
the system stays on, i have to do a reset to come back.

Regards, Diogo.

What mode is your suspend in? You can find out in the BIOS.

Diogo Branco 03-21-2011 08:08 PM

Suspend and Hibernation Problems

hey has anyone forget about me?
Anwser in the last post
"In the BIOS i have tree options in the entry Suspend Mode, option 1
S1(POS) Only, option 2 S3 Only and Option 3 Auto, the one i have
selected is option 3 (Auto)."

Regards

NoOp 03-21-2011 08:44 PM

On 03/19/2011 07:07 AM, Diogo Branco wrote:
> Hardware / Software:
>
> Motherboard Asus P5B-E
> Processor Intel E6600
> Bios Revision 1803
> Graphic Card Shapphire Radeon X 1950 PRO 256 MB DDR3
> Ram 8 Gigas DDR2 - 800
> SO Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits
> Kernel 2.6.32-30-generic
>
> 2 Problems:
>
> I can suspend the system but when i try to come back the fan speed increase
> and stay that way, do not know how can i solve this issue.
> The other issue is when i try to hibernate, the monitor goes black but the
> system stays on, i have to do a reset to come back.
>

> Regards, Diogo.

Seems to be a common issue:
<http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&sou rce=hp&q=ubuntu+%2Bsuspend+%2Bfan&btnG=Search>

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=suspend+%2Bfan>
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=suspend+%2Bfan+%2Basus&field.ac tions.search=Search>

Unfortunately there are quite a lot of issues with suspend +fan. I'd
recommend looking through a few of the forum posts and these bug reports
to see if there might be workarounds:

Also:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnderstandingSuspend

Good luck as it doesn't look to be an easy answer.

J 03-21-2011 09:11 PM

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:08, Diogo Branco <diogobranco@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey has anyone forget about me?
> Anwser in the last post
> "In the BIOS i have tree options in the entry Suspend Mode, option 1 S1(POS)
> Only, option 2 S3 Only and Option 3 Auto, the one i have selected is option
> 3 (Auto)."

Perhaps...

IN any case, looks to me like your system doesn't support Hibernate
(S4) but only Standby (S1) and Suspend (S3)

Check this to see what the kernel thinks your system can do:

cat /sys/power/state

In any case, it sounds like your system doesn't support Hibernate, so
the only option is to just fall back to blanking the screen.

Here's some more info on Sleep States:

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/sleep.html