Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Bram Kuijper

Default again: continuous keyboard input problem

Hi all,

since a couple of days, I have the problem that at a certain random
moment, my keyboard appears to hang: it starts sending continuous cursor
input to the stdin and never stops with that. The problem only happens
with navigational keys, so I get a continuous stream of "up" or "down".

If I plug out (and replug) the keyboard, this doesn't stop the input. I
am forced to either reboot Xorg or reboot the whole OS. I would suspect
if it is the keyboard itself causing the problem, it would stop as soon
as I plug the keyboard out. However, the input continues when the
keyboard is plugged out.

If I look at my Xorg log, I cannot find anything suspicuous pointing me
at an error: see my Xorg.log on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/m101f1dd2
there are notifications though, of xf86UnbindGARTMemory, unbind key 8,
but I don't know what this exactly means.

Anybody any ideas where I should look to find the root of the problem?

thanks
Bram

PS: is there any way to reboot a `keyboard daemon' without having to
reboot my whole Xorg? This might save me a lot of trouble.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Bernard Peek

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> Anybody any ideas where I should look to find the root of the problem?

Under the keycaps. Look for toast-crumbs and cat hair, that's what I get
here.

--
bap@shrdlu.com

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Christoph Bier

Bram Kuijper schrieb am 08.02.2008 13:14:

> Hi all,
>
> since a couple of days, I have the problem that at a certain random
> moment, my keyboard appears to hang: it starts sending continuous cursor
> input to the stdin and never stops with that. The problem only happens
> with navigational keys, so I get a continuous stream of "up" or "down".
>
> If I plug out (and replug) the keyboard, this doesn't stop the input. I
> am forced to either reboot Xorg or reboot the whole OS. I would suspect
> if it is the keyboard itself causing the problem, it would stop as soon
> as I plug the keyboard out. However, the input continues when the
> keyboard is plugged out.
>
> If I look at my Xorg log, I cannot find anything suspicuous pointing me
> at an error: see my Xorg.log on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/m101f1dd2
> there are notifications though, of xf86UnbindGARTMemory, unbind key 8,
> but I don't know what this exactly means.
>
> Anybody any ideas where I should look to find the root of the problem?

I had the same problem on my office PC but with each key and it
always stopped on its own after about 30 seconds. The problem did
not appear on any other PC running Ubuntu I have access to.
Replacing the keyboard solved the problem.

[...]

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Bernard Peek wrote:

> Bram Kuijper wrote:
>> Anybody any ideas where I should look to find the root of the problem?
>>

> Under the keycaps. Look for toast-crumbs and cat hair, that's what I get
> here.

LOL. You're absolutely right (though in my case it's dog hair :-) ).
Keyboard problems almost always are that simple.
--
derek

Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
David Restall - System Administrator

Hi,

Bram Kuijper schrieb am 08.02.2008 13:14:

> Hi all,
>
> since a couple of days, I have the problem that at a certain random
> moment, my keyboard appears to hang: it starts sending continuous cursor
> input to the stdin and never stops with that. The problem only happens
> with navigational keys, so I get a continuous stream of "up" or "down".
>
> If I plug out (and replug) the keyboard, this doesn't stop the input. I
> am forced to either reboot Xorg or reboot the whole OS. I would suspect
> if it is the keyboard itself causing the problem, it would stop as soon
> as I plug the keyboard out. However, the input continues when the
> keyboard is plugged out.
>
> If I look at my Xorg log, I cannot find anything suspicuous pointing me
> at an error: see my Xorg.log on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/m101f1dd2
> there are notifications though, of xf86UnbindGARTMemory, unbind key 8,
> but I don't know what this exactly means.
>
> Anybody any ideas where I should look to find the root of the problem?

I have a similar problem and it's the KVM switch that does it - I solve
the problem by pushing the console switch button on the KVM box then
going back to the correct console using the keyboard key sequence.
Sometimes it's still repeating but the first keystroke when back stops
the repeat.

It's more annoying when you're in the middle of an edit and its the
backspace key that it happens to :-(

TTFN

ubuntu/users-2008-02-08.tx ubuntu-users
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245 Skype: dave.restall Radio: G4FCU |
| email : dave@restall.net Web : Not Ready Yet :-( |

Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Bram Kuijper

Hi all,

As a reaction on the e-mails sent on February 8, 2008 on ongoing
keyboard input: I still have the same problem of continuous input after
I have replaced my keyboard with a brand new one. I do not have a KVM
switch, nor the problem of dog hairs or breadcrumbs with this new keyboard.

I have two questions:
* Is there any way I could find why my keyboard is hanging? Is there a
way to log user input (ie., indeed a keylogger) to see where it goes wrong?

* is there any way I can restart a 'keyboard daemon' without having to
restart Xorg as a whole?

thanks in advance,

Bram Kuijper

Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Nils Kassube

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> * is there any way I can restart a 'keyboard daemon' without having to
> restart Xorg as a whole?

If it is a USB keyboard, you could unplug and replug it.

Nils

Old 02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Bram Kuijper

> If it is a USB keyboard, you could unplug and replug it.

unfortunately it is not a usb keyboard...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
NoOp

On 02/11/2008 06:26 AM, Bram Kuijper wrote:
>> If it is a USB keyboard, you could unplug and replug it.
>
> unfortunately it is not a usb keyboard...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and reconfigure the keyboard?

Might be helpful if you posted these sections from your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file - I'm posting mine so that you can compare:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"